ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2024-22-2-22-32

Abstract

This article examines the impact of mining enterprises on the natural landscape and ecology of the area. The presented results of the conducted studies show that the earth surface disturbance during ore extraction in different ways has different consequences. The article describes the influence of both open and underground mining methods on the natural environment. Special attention is paid to the earth surface disturbance, the formation of sinkholes and their impact on the environment and residents. The article contains a specific example of an underground mine, where the collapse of the roof of the workings led to the formation of sinkholes on the earth surface. The author analyzes causes and consequences of such collapse, as well as ways to restore the collapsed earth surface using two-component polymer resins. Research into the disturbed areas of the earth surface during underground mining is of great importance for several reasons. Firstly, such mining is an important source of mineral extraction, but often accompanied by disturbances of the earth surface, presenting a danger. Research into this area will help develop methods and technologies to minimize disruption and ensure safety. Secondly, land disturbance can negatively impact the environment and biodiversity. Research into the disturbed areas contributes to developing measures to ensure environmental safety. Thirdly, underground mining requires the use of new methods and technologies. Research into this area will improve technical solutions, reduce costs and environmental impact. There is also a need for constant control and monitoring of underground work. Research into this topic is important and can improve safety and efficiency of these processes.

Keywords

mining enterprises, earth surface disturbance, sinkholes, underground mining, environmental impact, mine, natural environment

For citation

Ivanov E.A. Monitoring of Disturbed Areas of the Earth Surface During Underground Mining. Vestnik Magnitogor-skogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2024, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 22-32. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2024-22-2-22-32

Evgeny A. Ivanov – postgraduate student of the Department of Mineral Deposits Development, Irkutsk National Research Technical University, Irkutsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0009-0009-6401-3357

1. Bondaletova L.I. Promyshlennaya ekologiya: ucheb. posobie [Industrial ecology: study guide]. Tomsk: Tomsk Polytechnic University, 2002, 168 p. (In Russ.)

2. Vasilchenko A.V. Rekultivatsiya narushennykh ze-mel: ucheb. posobie: v 2-kh ch. Ch. 2 [Land rehabili-tation: study guide: in 2 parts. Part 2]. Orenburg: Orenburg State University, 2017, 158 p. (In Russ.)

3. Dolzhikov P.N., Furdey P.G., Ivlieva E.O. Resource-saving technologies of filling underground voids with backfill blend based on industrial waste: collection of research papers of Donbas State Technical University. Alchevsk: Lado, 2012, no. 37, pp. 217-224. (In Russ.)

4. Oblitsov D.S., Opryshko A.Yu. Currently used ap-proaches to mining reclamation. Gornyi infor-matsionno-analiticheskiy byulleten (nauchno-tekhnicheskiy zhurnal) [Mining Informational and Analytical Bulletin (Scientific and Technical Jour-nal)]. 2011;(10):191-194. (In Russ.)

5. Dolzhikov P.N., Prokopov A.Yu. Geodinamicheskie protsessy v gidroaktivizirovannykh podrabotannykh gornykh massivakh: monografiya [Geodynamic pro-cesses in hydro-activated subsided rock massifs: monograph]. Rostov-on-Don: Rostov State University of Civil Engineering, 2015, 149 p. (In Russ.)

6. Dolzhikov P.N., Legostaev S.O., Khamidullina N.V. Methods of stabilizing deformation processes of the earth surface on subsided areas. Perspektivy razvitiya stroitelnykh tekhnologiy: mater. mezhdunar. nauch.-prakt. konf [Prospects of development of construction technologies: proceedings of the international scien-tific and practical conference]. Dnipro: NGU, 2018, pp. 41-43. (In Russ.)

7. Efremov E.Yu. Characteristics of compacting rocks of the caving zone on the Severopeschansky deposit. Innovatsionnye geotekhnologii pri razrabotke rudnykh i nerudnykh mestorozhdeniy. Uralskaya gor-nopromyshlennaya dekada: sb. dokl. X Mezhdunar. nauch.-tekhn. konf. [Innovative geotechnologies, when developing ore and non-metalliferous deposits. Ural mining decade: collection of research paper of the 10th International Scientific and Technical Conferences]. Yekaterinburg, 2021, pp. 179-186. (In Russ.)

8. Khudelkikh K.O. Monitoring of karst processes de-velopment, when mining gypsum fields. Izvestiya Uralskogo gosudarstvennogo gornogo universiteta [News of Ural State Mining University]. 2021;(4(64)):116-129. (In Russ.)

9. Khomenko V.P., Krasheninnikov V.S. Sinkhole pro-tection and indicators of prepared sinkholes. Promyshlennoe i grazhdanskoe stroitelstvo [Industrial and Civil Construction]. 2020;(9):54-58. (In Russ.)

10. Tyuleneva T.A. Improving technology for elimination of voids above mining workings. Tekhnika i tekhnologiya gornogo dela [Engineering and Technology of Mining]. 2021, no. 1(12), pp. 4-26. (In Russ.)

11. Sadykov B.B., Baygurin Z.D., Altayeva A.A. New approach to zone division of surface of the deposit by the degree of sinkhole risk. Scientific Bulletin of National Mining University. 2019;(6), 31-35.

12. Malinowska A.A., Witkowski W.T., Hejmanowski R. et al. Sinkhole occurrence monitoring over shallow abandoned coal mines with satellite-based persistent scatterer interferometry. Engineering Geology. 2019;262:105336.

13. Dolzhikov P.N., Prokopova M.V., Khamidullina N.V. Field studies on sinkholes above mine workings of closed mines. Izvestiya TulGU. Nauki o Zemle [News of Tula State University. Earth sciences]. 2018;(4):3-11. (In Russ.)

14. Prokopov A.Yu., Gridnevskiy A.V., Khamidullina N.V. Ensuring a safe operation of a building in conditions of influence of negative geological and industry-related factors. Stroitelstvo. Arkhitektura. Ekonomika: materialy Mezhdunar. foruma «Pobednyi may 1945 goda» [Construction. Architecture. Economics: proceedings of the International Forum “Victorious May of 1945”]. Rostov-on-Don: Don State Technical University, 2018, pp. 64-67. (In Russ.)

15. Abdibaitov Sh.A., Ganiev Zh.M., Ermatov M.A. Methods of filling sinkholes on mines. Gornyi zhurnal [Mining Journal]. 2020;1:142-146. (In Russ.)

16. Ainbinder I.I., Kaplunov D.R. A risk-oriented ap-proach to choosing geotechnologies of underground mining of deposits at great depths. Gornyi infor-matsionno-analiticheskiy byulleten (nauchno-tekhnicheskiy zhurnal) [Mining Informational and Analytical Bulletin (Scientific and Technical Jour-nal)]. 2019;(4):5-19. (In Russ.)

17. Khramtsov B.A., Bylin I.P., Korneev P.V. A procedure for determining stresses in rock massif, using high-accuracy geodetic measurements. Vestnik Belgo-rodskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnologicheskogo universiteta im. V.G. Shukhova [Bulletin of Shukhov Belgorod State Technological University]. 2017;(8):125-129. (In Russ.)

18. Botirov Sh. Development of measures aimed at ensuring stability of rock massif, using modern mine surveying instruments. Akademicheskie issledovaniya v sovremennoy nauke [Academic Studies in Modern Science]. 2022;(1(13)):162-166. (In Russ.)

19. Kostromin M., Panina T. Influence of mining of the Transbaikal mineral deposits on ecological and geo-logical environment. Innovatsionnye geotekhnologii pri razrabotke rudnykh i nerudnykh mestorozhdeniy: Uralskaya gornopromyshlennaya dekada: sb. dokl. X Mezhdunar. nauch.-tekhn. konf. [Innovative geotech-nologies in the development of ore and non-metallic deposits. Ural Mining Decade: proceedings of the 10th International Scientific and Technical Conference]. Yekaterinburg, 2021, pp. 212-218. (In Russ.)

20. Slavikovskaya Yu.O. Industry-related voids of subsoil as a factor of negative environmental impact, when developing deposits of solid minerals. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskiy byulleten (nauchno-tekhnicheskiy zhurnal) [Mining Informational and Analytical Bulletin (Scientific and Technical Jour-nal)]. 2021;(2):33-44. (In Russ.)

21. Shelomentsev I.G., Slavikovskaya Yu.O. Classifica-tion of industry-related voids of subsoil, factoring into an area of using resource potential for the purposes of ecological rehabilitation of mining areas. Gornyi in-formatsionno-analiticheskiy byulleten (nauchno-tekhnicheskiy zhurnal) [Mining Informational and Analytical Bulletin (Scientific and Technical Jour-nal)]. 2019;(12):127-140. (In Russ.)

22. Ekzaryan V.N. Assessment of environmental subse-quences in areas of mining mineral deposits. Ser-geevskie chteniya. Geoekologicheskaya bezopasnost razrabotki mestorozhdeniy poleznykh iskopaemykh: materialy godichnoy sessii Nauchnogo soveta RAN po problemam geoekologii, inzhenernoy geologii i gidrogeologii v ramkakh Goda ekologii v Rossii [The Sergeev Readings. Geoecological safety of mineral deposit mining: proceedings of the annual session of the Scientific Council of the Russian Academy of Sciences for problems of geoecology, engineering geology and hydrogeology as part of the Year of Ecology in Russia]. Moscow, 2017, vol. 19, pp. 81-86. (In Russ.)

23. Marian D.P., Onica I. Analysis of the geomechanical phenomena that led to the appearance of sinkholes at the Lupeni mine, Romania, in the conditions of thick coal seams mining with longwall top coal caving. Sustainability. 2021;13(11):6449.

24. Royer J.J., Litaudon J., Filippov L.O. et al. 3D geosta-tistical modelling for identifying sinkhole disaster po-tential zones around the Verkhnekamskoye potash deposit (Russia). Journal of Physics: Conference Se-ries. 2017;679(1):12018.

25. Stacey T.R. Addressing the consequences of dynamic rock failure in underground excavations. Rock Me-chanics and Rock Engineering. 2016;(49):4091-4101.

26. Ponasenko L.P. Sposob prokhodki gornykh vyrabotok v slozhnykh gorno-geologicheskikh usloviyakh [Method of driving of mine workings under complicated geological conditions]. Patent RU, no. 2171894C2, 1999.