ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance): The blasting technology applied for granular quartz at the Kyshtym underground mine produces a significant yield of -20 mm rock (up to 20%), which cannot be processed thus constituting waste. Optimization of the blasting technology and study of the blasting parameters appear to present an important task considering the limited resources and the uniqueness of the deposit. Objectives: The objective of the current stage of the research is to identify the fragmentation pattern resulting from blasting a group of interacting column charges as related to the burden-to-spacing ratio. Methods Applied: Physical modeling was applied while securing dynamic, kinematic and geometric similarity. Findings: Quality results were obtained that show how the model is fractured when blasted with interacting column charges at different arrangements. It was found that when detonated at the same time interacting column charges act as flat charge and that there occurs almost no overgrinding in the nearest blast zone. Practical Relevance: The above modelling results are taken into account when designing the drilling and blasting technology for the test field of the Kyshtym underground mine.

Keywords

Quartz deposit, blasting and drilling, granulated explosives, overgrinding, physical modeling, flat charge.

Igor V. Sokolov – D.Sc. (Eng.)

Head of Underground Mining Laboratory of the Institute of Mining, UB RAS, Yekaterinburg, Russia. Phone: +7(343)350-71-28. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0001-7841-5319

Alexey A. Smirnov – Ph.D. (Eng.)

Senior Research Fellow at the Underground Mining Laboratory of the Institute of Mining, UB RAS, Yekaterinburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-8949-1525

Yuri G. Antipin – Ph.D. (Eng.)

Senior Research Fellow at the Underground Mining Laboratory of the Institute of Mining, UB RAS, Yekaterinburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-3564-0310

Artem A. Rozhkov – Postgraduate Student

Junior Research Fellow at the Underground Mining Laboratory of the Institute of Mining, UB RAS, Yekaterinburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-3007-1099

1. Sokolov I.V., Kornilkov S.V., Sashurin A.D. et al. On the provision of scientific basis for the introduction of a comprehensive mining and processing technology for high-grade quartz. Gornyi zhurnal [Mining Journal]. 2014, no. 12, pp. 44–48. (In Russ.)

2. Shemyakin V.S., Skopov S.V., Kuzmin V.G., Sokolov I.V. Assessing the feasibility of using an X-ray recovery circuit for quartz from the Kyshtym mine. Gornyi zhurnal [Mining Journal]. 2015, no. 11, pp.66–69. (In Russ.)

3. Sokolov I.V., Smirnov A.A., Antipin Yu.G., Baranowski K.V., Rozhkov A.A. A resource saving high-grade quartz underground mining technology. FTPRPI. 2015, no. 6, pp. 133–145. (In Russ.)

4. Minerallurgy of vein quartz. Ed. by V.G. Kuzmin, B.N. Kravec. Moscow: Nedra, 1990. 294 p. (In Russ.)

5. Furtney S. J. K., Sellers E., Onederra I. Simple models for the complex process of rock blasting. Rock Fragmentation by Blasting: Fragblast 10. Edited by Pradeep K. Singh, Amalendu Sinha. Leiden, Netherlands: CRC Press, 2013, pp. 275–282.

6. Akande J. M., Lawal A. I. Optimization of Blasting Parameters Using Regression Models in Ratcon and NSCE Granite Quarries, Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria. Geomaterials. 2013, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 28–37.

7. Burkle W. S. Optimum drilling and blasting procedures. Pit & Quarry. 1985, vol. 77, pp. 30–34.

8. Sokolov I.V., Smirnov A.A., Antipin Y.G., Sokolov R.I. The impact of recovery on the efficiency of underground ore mining technology. Izvestiya vuzov. Gornyi zhurnal [Proceedings of Russian Universities. Mining Journal]. 2012, no.3, pp. 4–11. (In Russ.)

9. Borovikov V.A., Vanyagin I.F. Simulation of explosion in rock fragmentation by blasting. Moscow: Nedra, 1990. 231 p. (In Russ.)

10. Kalmykov V.N., Meshcheryakov E.Yu., Volkov P.V. Justification of stoping parameters in near-field mining. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2011, no. 4, pp. 5–8. (In Russ.)

11. Kalmykov V.N., Pergament V.Kh., Neugomonov S.S. Calculating the breakage parameters of fractured ores broken by deep-hole charges in consolidated stowing systems. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2009, no. 1, pp. 22–24. (In Russ.)

12. Baum F.A., Orlenko L.P., Stanyukovich K.P., Chelishev V.P., Schechter B.I. The physics of explosions. Moscow: Nauka, 1975, 704 p. (In Russ.)

13. Ruppeneyt K.V. The deformability of fractured rock massifs. Moscow: Nedra, 1975, pp. 121–191. (In Russ.)

14. Tyupin V.N., Lizunkin M.V., Lizunkin V.M. Determining the size of the fragmentation zone in stress-affected fractured rock when detonating several parallel charges. GIAB, 2015, no. 12, pp. 46–51. (In Russ.)

15. Belin V.A., Kryukov G.M. A summary of the advanced theory of rock fragmentation by blasting. Vzryvnoe delo [Blasting]. 2011, no. 105/62, pp. 3–17. (In Russ.)

16. Voronov E.T., Bondar I.A. Crystal-saving technology in quartz underground mining. Gornyi zhurnal [Mining Journal]. 2011, no. 11, pp. 23–25. (In Russ.)

17. Lyubimov N.I., Nosenko L.I. Handbook on physical and mechanical parameters of rock found in ore districts. Moscow, Nedra, 1988. (In Russ.)

18. Shalaev M.S., Paramonov G.P. On enhancing the efficiency of screenout fracturing by optimizing the contour-hole charge design. Vzryvnoe delo [Blasting]. 2010, no. 103/60, pp. 190–199. (In Russ.)

19. Sokolov I.V., Smirnov A.A., Rozhkov A.A. Justification of optimum drilling and blasting parameters in quartz mining. GIAB, 2016, no. 7, pp. 337–350. (In Russ.)

20. Kutuzov B.N., Bezmaternykh V.A., Bersenev G.P. Studying the crushing action of porous explosives. Izvestiya vuzov. Gornyi zhurnal [Proceedings of Russian Universities. Mining Journal]. 1988, no. 1, pp. 53–58. (In Russ.)

21. Gorinov S.A. The effectiveness of flat charges in breaking heavily fissured ores in underground conditions. Izvestiya vuzov. Gornyi zhurnal [Proceedings of Russian Universities. Mining Journal]. 1985, no. 7, pp. 68–73. (In Russ.)

22. Smirnov A.A. Study and selection of optimum longhole stoping parameters for hard ores: Ph.D. dissertation. Sverdlovsk: IM MCM USSR, 1973, 172 p. (In Russ.)

23. Gorinov S.A., Smirnov A.A. The explosive action of flat charge in rock blasting. GIAB, 2001, no. 4, pp. 42–50. (In Russ.)

24. Kutuzov B.N. Blasting methods. Blasting operations in mining and industry. Moscow: Mining Book; Moscow State Mining University, 2008, 512 p.

25. Baron L.I., Lichely G.P. Rock fracture during blasting. Moscow: Nedra, 1966, 136 p. (In Russ.)

26. Sokolov I.V., Baranovsky K.V. Choosing an efficient technique for underground mining of quartz. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2016, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 10–17. (In Russ.)