ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance): This article is about the international cooperation in the metallurgical industry, which is a priority industrial cluster driving the economy. Constant striving for better flexibility and cost-effectiveness makes searching for new ways to control and improve product quality, staff competence and technological factors an extremely relevant task. Objective: The efficiency of a metallurgical enterprise depends on how competent personnel it employs. Personnel is the main resource for the quality management system, as it is social rather than technical factors that enable to ensure and improve the quality. That is why the management teams who strive for sustainable growth should seek to improve the level of expertise available within their organisations. Methods Applied: Adaptive training programmes designed for start-up projects in the steel industry of Russia and other countries proved to be one of the most successful projects implemented by NMSTU in cooperation with Magnitogorsk Iron and Steel Works, with METALLURGMASH Engineering acting as the project coordinator. Originality: In February through April 2016, fifteen workers from Antillana de Acero in Cuba took part in a pilot educational project under the following program: “The operation and resources for modern metallurgical complexes producing steel and long products”. Being a part of the agreement between the Russian and the Cuban governments, this project is aimed at revamping the Cuban plant. Findings: The participants of this large-scale project included: Antillana de Acero, a metallurgical plant named after José Martí, which is a part of the GESIME Group (formerly, ACINOX); NMSTU; Magnitogorsk Iron and Steel Works;  METALLURGMASH Engineering; KonsOM SKS; Personal, a personnel training center. Practical Relevance: There were designed two ways for this international scientific and educational project to continue and evolve. The first way is through continued three-month training courses and through internships with the metallurgical enterprise designed for groups of up to 300 students. The second way is through Master’s programmes realised by NMSTU and designed for young and promising graduates from Cuba. For such students, the subjects of their graduation papers should be related to the jobs they do at the Antillana de Acero plant.

Keywords

Industrial cluster, technological platform, innovative partnership, expertise, international training programmes, knowledge management, innovative technologies, performance appraisal, the level of competence.

Oleg N. Tulupov – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Russia.

Industry expert of the engineering branch within the Delovaya Rossiya Business Association,

Vice-President of the International Association of Metallurgical Equipment Producers,

President of METALLURGMASH Engineering. Moscow, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Alexander B. Moller – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9090-2080

Alexander V. Nalivayko – Deputy General Director

Institut Tsvetmetobrabotka OJSC, Moscow, Russia.

Miguel Solarana Reyes – General Director

Antillana de Acero Steel Works, Cuba.

José Alonso Guerra – Deputy General Director

Antillana de Acero Steel Works, Cuba.

1. Moller A.B., Limarev A.S., Kaledina O.S. Product quality management as part of a corporate innovation strategy. Izvestiya Yugo-Zapadnogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta [Bulletin of the South-Western State University]. 2015, vol. 1, no. 4 (61), pp. 45–50. (In Russ.)

2. Kolokoltsev V.M., Razinkina E.M., Glukhova A.Yu. Preparation of qualified personnel by a university. Izvestiya Samarskogo nauchnogo tsentra Rossiyskoy akademii nauk [Bulletin of the Samara Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences]. 2010, vol. 12, no. 1–2, pp. 615–618. (In Russ.)

3. Gun G.S. Industrial research personnel training at NMSTU. Chernye metally [Ferrous metals]. 2011, no. 56, pp. 10–13. (In Russ.)

4. Kozlova T.V. On the strategy of obtaining a competitive edge. Traditsionnye natsionalno-kulturnye i dukhovnye tsennosti kak fundament innovatsionnogo razvitiya Rossii [Traditional cultural values as a fundament for the innovative development of Russia]. 2015, no. 1 (7), pp. 40–43. (In Russ.)

5. Sarancha S.Y, Levandovskiy S.A., Statsenko J.S., Moller A.B., Kinzin D.I. Optimization of long products rolling and cuttung technology based on modern IT Cis iron and steel review. 2014, no. 9, p. 44–49.

6. Kulkov I.V. The parities of BRICS. YuNIDO v Rossii [UNIDO in Russia]. 2012, no. 8, pp. 55–59. (In Russ.)

7. Tulupov O.N, Moller A.B. Nigris D., Chukin M.V, Kinzin D.I. Flexible solutions for the technology and personnel training: A showcase of successful collaboration with DANIELI. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I.Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2014, no. 1 (45), pp. 81–85. (In Russ.)

8. Tulupova N.A., Guerra H.A., Levandovskiy S.A., Kinzin D.I., Sarancha S.Yu. A case study: Looking at the quality of billets and long products within the quality management system adopted at Antillana de Acero Steel Works (Cuba). Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I.Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2015, no. 2 (50), pp. 70–79. (In Russ.)

9. Tulupov O.N., Moller A.B. Simulation of bar rolling: experience at Nosov Magnitogorsk state technical university // Steel in Translation. 2014, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 280–288. DOI: 10.3103/S0967091214040172

10. Tulupov O.N., Moller A.B., Kinzin D.I., Levandovskiy S.A, Novitskiy R.V., Rychkov S.S. Improving the rolling accuracy of plain and shaped steel sections. Metallurgicheskie protsessy i oborudovanie [Metallurgical processes and equipment], 2013, no. 4(34), pp. 99–105. (In Russ.)

11. Gun G.S. The role of combined research teams in competence enhancement. The methodological approaches and the experience of NMSTU. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I.Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2009, no. 2 (26), pp. 17–19. (In Russ.)