ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2021-19-2-79-89

Abstract

This paper shows that it is feasible to produce solid pressed bimetallic rings and other products with working layers of atomized powders of high-speed steels. It was found that the mechanical activation of atomized powders does not contribute to an increase in the density of compacts. Adding powders of ductile metals (nickel and copper) to the charge improves the formability, slightly increases the density and microhardness of the molding material. The authors determined the regularities of the structure formation of interlayer boundaries and working layers during sintering of solid pressed internal combustion engine valve seats. It was shown that the structure formation and diffusion mass transfer at the indicated boundaries were significantly influenced by the method of powder activation, the composition of the charge, the affinity of the components, the mode and conditions of sintering. Depending on the content of nickel and copper in the charge, microhardness of the transition zone varies from 2800 to 3200 MPa. The authors identified concentration curves of the distribution of components in the interlayer boundaries of bimetallic samples of different chemical compositions, and the values of the coefficients of mutual diffusion of Fe and Cr in the transition zone. It was found that after the combined introduction of copper and nickel powders, they activate the diffusion of iron and chromium in the transition zone by mutually dissolving during the sintering process. Alloying with nickel alone leads to the fact that it binds chromium, forming a solid solution of a complex composition. It was shown that the mechanical properties of sintered bimetallic specimens with a working layer based on atomized powders of high-speed steels substantially depended on the sintering conditions. After vacuum sintering ultimate strength and percentage elongation in the transition zone of the bimetallic specimens are significantly higher (by 1.5–2 times) compared to the specimens sintered in dissociated ammonia (DA).

Keywords

Atomized powder, activation, bimetallic seats, mutual diffusion, structure formation, mechanical properties.

For citation

Gasanov B.G., Babets A.V., Baev S.S. Producing Bimetallic Rings for Valve Seats of Internal Combustion Engines from Activated Powders of High-Speed Steel. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2021, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 79–89. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2021-19-2-79-89

Badrudin G. Gasanov – DrSc (Eng.), Professor, Platov South-Russian State Polytechnic University (NPI), Novocherkassk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Alexander V. Babets – PhD (Eng.), Director of LLC Kompozit NCHK, Novocherkassk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Sergey S. Baev – postgraduate student, Platov South-Russian State Polytechnic University (NPI), Novocherkassk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Dorofeev Yu.G., Volzhin D.B., Miroshnikov V.I., Babets A.V. Principles of calculating the parameters of the planetary mill, ensuring the production of charges with the required technological properties. Poroshkovye i kompozitsionnye materialy. Struktura, svoystva, tekhnologiya. Sb. nauch. tr. [Powder and composite materials. Structure, properties, technology. Proceedings]. Novocherkassk: Platov South-Russian State Technical University, 2001, pp. 72–76. (In Russ.)

2. Dorofeev Y.G., Dorofeev V.Y., Svistun L.I., Serdyuk G.G. The quality of hot-stamped powder carbide steel. Steel in Translation, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 331–334 (2013).

3. Svistun L.I., Pavlygo T.M., Dmitrenko D.V. Technology of hot stamping of carbide steel powders of the alloy steel–carbide type. Tekhnologiya metallov [Technology of Metals], 2009, no. 6, pp. 30–36. (In Russ.)

4. Prümmer R. Obrabotka poroshkoobraznykh materialov vzryvom [Processing of powdery materials by explosion]. Moscow: Mir, 1990, 124 p. (In Russ.)

5. Gasanov B.G., Perederiy V.G., Efimov A.D., Baev S.S. Influence of a two-stage sintering schedule on the structure formation and properties of solid pressed iron-based bimetallic materials. Izv. vuzov. Poroshkovaya metallurgiya i funktsionalnye pokrytiya [Universities’ Proceedings. Powder Metallurgy and Functional Coatings], 2018, no. 2, pp. 23–34. (In Russ.)

6. Gomes M.P., Santos I.P., Mucsi C.S., Colosio M.A, Rossi J.L. Study of the mechanical and metallurgical properties of sintered steels for valve seat inserts application. Proceedings of the 7th Encontro Científico de Física Aplicada. Serra, ES, Brazil, 2016, pp. 59–61.

7. Gomes M.P., Santos I., Couto C.P., Betini E.G., Reis L.A.M., Mucsi C.S., Colosio M., Rossi J.L. Heat treatment of sintered valve seat inserts. Materials Research, pp. 1–10 (2018).

8. Filho E.S. Jesus, E.R.B. Jesus, L. Salgado, S.L. Jesus, M.A. Colosio, J.C. Santos et al. Sintered valve seat inserts - microstructural characterization. Materials Science Forum, 2006, pp. 65–70.

9. Wentzcovitch A., Ambrozio Filho F., Silva L.C.E., Neves M.D.M. Sintering of AISI M2 high-speed steel with the addition of NbC. Materials Science Forum, 2012, pp. 90–95.

10. Pinnow K.E., Stasko W. Machining. P/M high-speed tool steels. ASM Handbook, pp. 127–145 (1995).

11. Kawata H., Hayashi K., Ishii K., Maki K., Ehira A., Toriumi M. The development of a high-speed steel based sintered material for high performance exhaust valve seat inserts. SAE Technical Paper in United States (1998).

12. Kawata H., Maki K. Development of high performance valve seat insert materials for gas engines. Powder Metallurgy Technology, pp. 64–65 (2011).

13. Basshuysen R., Schäfer F. Internal combustion engine. Basics, components, systems, and perspectives. Handbook. Warrendale, PA, pp. 174–182 (2004).

14. Dorofeyev Yu.G., Dorofeyev V.Yu., Babets A.V., Bessarabov E.N., Romanova O.N., Sviridova A.N. Contact interaction peculiarities at the boundary of layers of structural steel – high-speed steel hot-forged powder bimetal. Russian Journal of Non-Ferrous Metals, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 643–652 (2018).

15. Bessarabov E.N., Dorofeev Yu.G., Dorofeev V.Yu., Ganshin A.V. Powder hot-stamped bimetals iron-graphite-carbidosteel, production technology, structure, properties. Izvestiya vuzov. Severo-Kavkazskiy region. Tekhnicheskie nauki [Universities’ Proceedings. North Caucasian Region. Technical Sciences], 2014, no. 3, pp. 54–58. (In Russ.)

16. Borovskiy I.B., Gurov K.P., Marchukova I.D., Ugaste Yu.E. Protsessy vzaimnoy diffuzii v splavakh [Processes of mutual diffusion in alloys]. Moscow: Nauka, 1973, 359 p. (In Russ.)

17. Perederi V.G., Gasanov B.G., Sirotin P.V. Determination features of the component diffusion coefficient of the Fe-Cr-Ni-Gr powder systems sintering. Materials Science Forum, 870 p. (2016).