ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance): The external pipe end upset technique is applied for oil well tubing with thicker ends. This article examines the upset process performed by the SMS Meer press running at the PNTZ OJSC site. To obtain reliable data about the process parameters, the process sequence was simulated with the help of the finite-element software package. Three different pipe sizes, which are of most interest to the site, were examined in the case study. Methods Applied: 3D-objects were made that imitate the workpiece, the upset die and the complex matrix. Each object was assigned its relevant properties. The simulation was done under given friction conditions, with the objects moving and positioned in space. The varying conditions included friction between the upset die and the workpiece. Findings: With the help of the model proposed, dependencies were identified between the upset force and the upset time at different friction factors. The experimental study conducted proves that the model is adequate to the real process. Practical Relevance: The values obtained as a result of simulation can be useful in the design of pipe end upset technologies, equipment and tools.

Keywords

External upset process, oil well tubing pipes, mathematical model, upset force, friction factor.

Igor Nekrasov – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor

Ural Federal University named after the first President of Russia B.N. Yeltsin, Yekaterinburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Andrey Karamyshev – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor

Ural Federal University named after the first President of Russia B.N. Yeltsin, Yekaterinburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Vladimir Parshin – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor

Artem Fedulov – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor

Alexey Dronov – Postgraduate Student

Ural Federal University named after the first President of Russia B.N. Yeltsin, Yekaterinburg, Russia.

Valeryi Khorev – Postgraduate Student

Ural Federal University named after the first President of Russia B.N. Yeltsin, Yekaterinburg, Russia.

1. Grudev A.P., Zilberg Yu.V., Tilik V.T. Friction and lubrication in metal forming. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1982, 312 p. (In Russ.)

2. Kolmogorov G.L., Trofimov V.N., Chernova T.V. The conditions of an improved (combined) friction regime. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2013, no. 1, pp. 31–33. (In Russ.)

3. Kadoshnikov V.I., Reshetnikova E.S., Reshetnikov L.V., Kochukov S.V. Improved tooling for and improved modelling of the flanged bolt head forming process. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2008, no. 2, pp. 52–56. (In Russ.)

4. Raskatov E.Yu., Lekhov O.S. Choosing the best calibration mode for pilger mill rolls. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2011, no. 4, pp. 24–27. (In Russ.)

5. Shimov G.V., Burkin S.P. Basic metal forming processes. Yekaterinburg: Publishing House of the Ural University, 2014, 150 p. (In Russ.)

6. Ling K., Liu Y.-K. Study on forming process of the oil pipe with upset ends. Applied Mechanics and Materials. 2014, vol. 456, pp 648–651.

7. Yu Y.-Q. Analysis of the tube head upsetting forming process. Petrochemical Equipment. 2015, vol. 44, pp. 58–63

8. Konovalov A.V., Smirnov A.S., Karamyshev A.P., Nekrasov I.I., Parshin V.S., Fedulov A.A., Dronov A.I., Serebryakov A.V. Examining the strain resistance of ‘18ХМФБ’ and ‘18Х3МФБ’ steel grades in hot deformation conditions. Metallurg [Metallurgist]. 2015, no. 11, pp. 110–112. (In Russ.)

9. Ishimov A.S., Baryshnikov M.P., Chukin M.V. On choosing the mathematical function for the state equation to describe the rheological properties of steel grade 20 under hot plastic deformation conditions. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2015, no. 1, pp. 43–52. (In Russ.)

10. Baryshnikov M.P., Chukin M.V., Bojko A.B., Dyya H., Nazajbekov A.B. Methods of studying the mechanical properties of metals and alloys undergoing forming processes with due regard to the structural heterogeneity. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2014, no. 4, pp. 26–31. (In Russ.)

11. Semashko M.Yu., Sherkunov V.G., Chigintsev P.A. Microstructural DEFORM modeling of steel samples that were subject to severe plastic deformation. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2013, no. 1, pp. 57–61. (In Russ.)

12. Karamyshev A. P., Nekrasov I. I., Parshin V. S., Pugin A. I., Fedulov A. A., Dronov A.I., Khorev V.A. Identifying the optimum die speed for external-upset-end tubing production process. Sovremennye metallicheskie materialy i tekhnologii (SMMT‘2015): Trudy mezhdunarodnoj nauchno-tekhnicheskoj konferentsii. [Advanced Metallic Materials and Technologies 2015. Proceedings of the International Scientific Conference]. Saint Petersburg: Publishing House of Peter the Great S.-Petersburg Polytechnic University, 2011, pp. 75–82. (In Russ.)