ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

On the basis of computer simulation, upgrading procedures of hot aluminum-alloy forging process technology have been developed to improve the cost effectiveness of forged parts. This article outlines the following patterns of upgrading: the analysis of a parallel process, development of the virtual process structure, SolidWorks-based design of forging and die models, computer simulation formulation, simulation parameter setting, start-up and analysis of the process computational model, analysis of the virtual process technology, and formulation of recommendations on upgrading of the existing process followed by pilot testing of the process technology. The process technology of forming “Disc” forgings from AB aluminum alloy examplifies the parallel process. It was specified that upgrading should improve the process cost effictiveness and skip replacement of the deforming equipment in the use and extensive modification of pressing tools as well as changes in forging shape and sizes. The analysis of the parallel process technology has made it possible to formulate a problem of finding a possibility to reduce the number of transitions during forming by improving forming friction conditions and forming velocity conditions. After the analysis, 3D models of forgings and dies were designed according to the drawings with the aid of the SolidWorks software. The models were file-uploaded into the DEFORM-3D preprocessor program. From here on, according to the factory process specifications, the temperature, speed and power conditions of deformation were set as follows: die heating temperature 360-450ºC, billet heating temperature 400-470ºC, forming speed 2-10 mm/s. The strain resistance value, however, was borrowed from the literature. A forming process database was obtained in the output. As a result, we found out that a uniform die cavity fill for one transition can be achieved at upper-end and lateral friction coefficients of 0.3-0.4, with the press stroke speed no more than 5 mm/s. The software features also enabled the study of the metal flow and to follow the die fill with reference to the change in the forming force at different stages. Using new process technologies, one transition of on-plant forming resulted in forgings with the shape and properties complying with the regulatory requirements with reduction on the cost of forgings of no less than 10%.

Keywords

Aluminum alloys, hot forging, computer simulation, forgings.

Konstantinov Igor Lazarevich – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor, Siberian Federal University, Krasnoyarsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..
Gubanov Ivan Yurievich – Ph.D. (Eng.), Assistant Professor, Siberian Federal University, Krasnoyarsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..
Klemenkova Diana Vladimirovna – Graduate Student, Siberian Federal University, Krasnoyarsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..
Astrashabov Igor Olegovich – Postgraduate Student, Siberian Federal University, Krasnoyarsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..
Sidelnikov Sergey Borisovich – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor, Siberian Federal University, Krasnoyarsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..
Gorokhov Yuriy Vasilievich – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor, Siberian Federal University, Krasnoyarsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..
  1. Erlinghausen T., Stepanov S.A. QForm 7 - A new dawn of metal forming simulation. Kuznechno-shtampovochnoe proizvodstvo. Obrabotka materialov davleniem [Forging and stamping production. Metal forming]. 2014, no. 2, pp. 31–34.
  2. Lisunets N.L., Solomonov K.N., Tsepin M.A. Ob"emnaya shtampovka alyuminievykh zagotovok [Forging of aluminum billets]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 2009, 171 p.
  3. Kononov V.V., Egorova L.I. New features in stamping modeling. Kuznechno-shtampovochnoe proizvodstvo [Forging and stamping production]. 2000, no. 7, pp. 35–38.
  4. Shmakov A.K., Kolesnikov A.V., Maksimenko N.V., Stanislavchik A.S. Optimization of hot forging with the aid of the QFORM simulation. Kuznechno-shtampovochnoe proizvodstvo. Obrabotka materialov davleniem [Forging and stamping production. Metals forming]. 2013, no. 4, pp. 28–31.
  5. Vakalov A.A. Computer simulation to design hot forging of blade forgings. Kuznechno-shtampovochnoe proizvodstvo. Obrabotka materialov davleniem [Forging and stamping production. Metals forming]. 2012, no. 1, pp. 36–41.
  6. Konstantinov I.L, Gubanov I.Yu, Gorokhov Yu.V. Computer modeling of isothermal forging of aluminum- alloy geometrically-complex panels. Izvestiya vuzov. Tsvetnaya metallurgiya [Izv. vuzov. Tsvetnaya metallurguia]. 2013, no. 2, pp. 46–50.
  7. Konstantinov I.L., Gubanov I.Yu., Astrashabov I.O., Sidelnikov S.B., Belan N.A. Modeling of hot forging of AK6 aluminum alloy forgings. Izvestiya vuzov. Tsvetnaya metallurgiya [Izv. vuzov. Tsvetnaya metallurguia]. 2015, no. 1, pp. 45–48.
  8. Konstantinov D.V., Korchunov A.G. Multiscale computer simulation of metal forming processes. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2015, no. 1, pp. 36–43.
  9. Kinzin D.I., Rachkov S.S. DEFORM-3D software package to simulate shape rolling. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2011, no. 2, pp. 45–49.
  10. Smirnov O.M., Tulupov S.A., Tsepin M.A., Lisunets N.L., Begnarsky V.V., Nguyen Truong An.Rheologic models as a core element of metal forming simulation. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2008, no. 3, pp. 45–52.
  11. Miklyaev P.G. Dudenkov V.M. Soprotivlenie deformatsii i plastichnost' alyuminievykh splavov [Deformation resistance and formability of aluminum alloys]. Moscow: Metallurguia, 1973, 183 p.