ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2021-19-4-45-55

Abstract

The relevance of the research topic. The paper provides a rationale for relevance of the development of technology for manufacturing valve seats of internal combustion engines from materials with predicted heat resistance and impact wear resistance based on atomized powders of high-chromium steels. Research methods. To test the materials under study, an advanced installation was used to evaluate the impact wear resistance at a given impact energy and heating temperature in gas corrosion. Results and scientific significance. It has been shown that in addition to external factors the oxidation intensity of the surface of the powder products is influenced by the chemical potential of the atoms of the alloy components and heated gas molecules, depending on the microrelief of the powder particles, the volume and configuration of the pores and the methods of preparation of the batch. The analysis of the tests on the heat resistance of the samples, when heated within the range of 600–1000°С, showed that sintered high-chromium steels with a density of less than 6.0–6.5 g/cm3 from a mixture of powders and alloys have the least heat resistance. With an increase in the density of alloys from atomized powders of high-chromium steels to 7.1–7.2 g/cm3, heat resistance and impact wear resistance are significantly improved. Practical significance of the research. It has been found that when adding nickel powder within 10–20% and performing subsequent mechanical activation of the batch based on the atomized powder RKh-NSKh23 the density of the pressings slightly increases and the heat resistance and impact wear resistance of sintered and hot-deformed alloys significantly increases. It has been revealed that the sintered bimetallic samples with a working layer based on atomized high-chromium powders of high-speed steels RKh-NSKh23 have a higher impact wear resistance of the working layer than similar homogeneous samples.

Keywords

High-chromium steels, atomized powder, sintering, heat resistance, impact wear resistance, chemical potential, hot forging.

For citation

Gasanov B.G., Babets A.V., Baev S.S. Influence of a Chemical Composition on Heat Resistance and Impact Wear Resistance of Materials Based on Atomized Powders of High-Chromium Steel.Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2021, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 45–55. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2021-19-4-45-55

Badrudin G. Gasanov – DrSc (Eng.), Professor, Platov South-Russian State Polytechnic University (NPI), Novocherkassk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Alexander V. Babets – PhD (Eng.), Director of LLC Kompozit Nchk, Novocherkassk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Sergey S. Baev – postgraduate student, Platov South-Russian State Polytechnic University (NPI), Novocherkassk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Shchedrov K.P., Gakman E.L. Zharostoikie materialy [Heat-resistant materials]. Moscow-Leningrad: Mechanical Engineering, 1965, 168 p. (In Russ.)

2. Gulyaev A.P. Metallovedenie [Metal science]. Moscow: Metallurgy, 1986, 544 p. (In Russ.)

3. Bernshtein M.L., Rakhshtadt A.G. Metallovedenie i termicheskaya obrabotka. Metody ispytaniya i issledovaniya [Metal science and heat treatment. Test methods and studies]. Moscow: Metallurgy, 1991, 462 p. (In Russ.)

4. Tomashov N.D., Zhuk N.P., Titov V.A., Vedeneeva M.A. Laboratornye raboty po korrozii i zashchite metallov [Laboratory classes on corrosion and protection of metals]. Moscow: Metallurgy, 1961, 238 p. (In Russ.)

5. Basshuysen R., Schäfer F. Internal combustion engine. Basics, components, systems, and perspectives. Handbook. Warrendale, PA, 2004, pp. 174–182.

6. Kenji Matsumoto, Akira Sasaki. Abrasion resistant improvement of the valve seat for automobile engines by the oxidation and the turn. TRACK: ENGINE & DRIVETRAIN VII (7C), 2016. 6 p.

7. Gomes M.P., Santos I.P., Mucsi C.S., Colosio M.A, Rossi J. L. Study of the mechanical and metallurgical properties of sintered steels for valve seat inserts application. Proceedings of the VII Encontro Científico de Física Aplicada. Serra, ES, Brazil, 2016, pp. 59–61.

8. Filho E.S. Jesus, E.R.B. Jesus, L. Salgado, S.L. Jesus, M.A. Colosio, J.C. Santos, et al. Sintered valve seat inserts - Microstructural characterization. Materials Science Forum, 2006, pp. 65–70.

9. Pinnow K.E., Stasko W. Machining. P/M high-speed tool steels. ASM Handbook, 1995, pp. 127–145.

10. Kawata H., Hayashi K., Ishii K., Maki K., Ehira A., Toriumi M. The development of a high-speed steel based sintered material for high performance exhaust valve seat inserts. SAE Technical Paper in United States. 1998.

11. Kawata H., Maki K. Development of high performance valve seat insert materials for gas engines. Powder Metallurgy Technology, 2011, pp. 64–65.

12. Gasanov B.G., Babets A.V., Baev S.S. Producing bimetallic rings for valve seats of internal combustion engines from activated powders of high-speed steel. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2021, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 79–89. (In Russ.)

13. Vernigorov Yu.M., Gasanov B.G., Baev S.S. Magnetic wave technology of grinding slime separation. Solid State Phenomena. 2017, vol. 265, pp. 1020–1025.

14. Gasanov B.G., Perederiy V.G., Efimov A.D., Baev S.S. Influence of the two-stage sintering schedule on the structure formation and properties of solid-pressed bimetallic iron-based powder materials. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedenii. Poroshkovaya metallurgiya i funktsionalnye pokrytiya [Proceedings of Higher Educational Institutions. Powder Metallurgy and Functional Coatings], 2018, no. 2, pp. 23–34. (In Russ.)

15. GOST 6130-71. Metals. Methods for determining heat resistance. (In Russ.)

16. Ustanovka dlya ispytaniya na iznosostoikost i zharostoikost poroshkovykh i kompozitsionnykh materialov [Installation for testing wear resistance and heat resistance of powder and composite materials]. Patent RF, no. 204755.

17. Gasanov B.G. Vzaimnaya diffuziya i gomogenizatsiya v poroshkovykh splavakh [Mutual diffusion and homogenization in powder alloys]. Novocherkassk: SRSPU, 2002, 113 p. (In Russ.)