ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2021-19-3-75-83

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance). This paper studies the mechanical properties of moldings from powder of alloy VZh159 produced by the hot isostatic pressing (HIP) method. The moldings had different densities as a result of interrupting the HIP cycle at specified temperatures. The HIP cycle was interrupted at temperatures of 670, 700, 750, 800, 900, 1150°C. A decrease in a share of pores in a dispersed body leads to an exponential increase in strength. Methods Used. VZh159 powder was produced by a gas atomization method. To carry out the study, the authors used a powder fraction of -70+25 microns, having a bulk density of 3.77 g/cm3, a flow rate of 2.3 g/s, a specific surface of 446 cm2/g and an average particle size according to Fischer of 16 microns. The original powder has a sufficiently high specific surface area, which predetermines its absorption by the surface of contacting gases. The presence of sorbed gases on the surface of the powder before HIP is unacceptable because in the process of heating and simultaneous application of pressure, the sorbed gases pass into a solid solution along the boundaries of the initial powder particles, sharply reducing the mechanical properties of compacts. To eliminate this phenomenon, the powder in the capsule was subjected to vacuum thermal degassing before HIP. Novelty. The produced compacts underwent heat treatment, consisting of quenching and aging. Aging was carried out in two ways: two or four aging cycles after quenching. It has been established that the structure of the HIP compacts has a more dispersed grain (9 points) in comparison with the cast alloy (7 points) of a similar composition. Heat treatment with four aging cycles provides an increase in ultimate tensile strength at an acceptable level of percentage elongation. Practical Relevance. The study on the microstructure of compacts after HIP and heat treatment showed no grid of residual grain boundaries (PPBs - Prior Particle Boundaries), indicating correct vacuum thermal degassing modes for the powder.

Keywords

Hot isostatic pressing technology, metal powders, porosity, nickel alloys; mechanical properties.

For citation

Khlybov A.A., Belyaev E.S., Ryabtsev A.D., Belyaeva S.S., Getmanovsky Yu.A., Yavtushenko P.M., Ryabov D.A. Influence of the HIP Technology on the Structure and Properties of Nickel Alloy VZH159. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2021, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 75–83. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2021-19-3-75-83

Alexander A. Khlybov – DrSc (Eng.), Head of the Department of Materials Science, Technology of Materials and Heat Treatment of Metals Alekseev Nizhny Novgorod State Technical University, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0002-6559-7819

Evgeny S. Belyaev – PhD (Eng.), Associate Professor of the Department of Materials Science, Technology of Materials and Heat Treatment of Metals Alekseev Nizhny Novgorod State Technical University, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0001-6870-5558

Anatoly D. Ryabtsev – DrSc (Eng.), Professor, Director of the Center for Scientific, Technical and Innovative Development of PJSC Ruspolymet Kulebaki, Nizhny Novgorod Region, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Sulgun S. Belyaeva – postgraduate student, teaching assistant of the Department of Materials Science, Technology of Materials and Heat Treatment of Metals Alekseev Nizhny Novgorod State Technical University, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0001-9042-1404

Yuri A. Getmanovsky – postgraduate student, teaching assistant of the Department of Materials Science, Technology of Materials and Heat Treatment of Metals Alekseev Nizhny Novgorod State Technical University, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0002-4338-3414

Pavel M. Yavtushenko – Head of the Department of the Center for Scientific, Technical and Innovative Development of PJSC Ruspolymet Kulebaki, Nizhny Novgorod Region, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Dmitry A. Ryabov – postgraduate student, teaching assistant of the Department of Materials Science, Technology of Materials and Heat Treatment of Metals Alekseev Nizhny Novgorod State Technical University, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0002-0486-598X

1. Sorokin L.I. Weldability of heat-resistant alloys used in aircraft gas turbine engines. Svarochnoe proizvodstvo [Welding Production], 1997, no. 4, pp. 4–11. (In Russ.)

2. Lomberg B.S., Ovsepyan S.V., Bakradze M.M., Mazalov I.S. High heat-resistant wrought nickel alloys for promising gas turbine engines and gas turbine plants. Vestnik MGTU im. N.E. Bauman. Ser.: Mashinostroenie [Herald of Bauman Moscow State Technical University. Series: Mechanical Engineering], 2011, no. SP2, pp. 98–103. (In Russ.)

3. Moiseev S.A., Latyshev V.B. Heat-resistant weldable alloys for stator assemblies of modern and advanced aircraft gas turbine engines. Aviatsionnye materialy i tekhnologii [Aviation Materials and Technologies], 2003, no. 1, pp. 152–157. (In Russ.)

4. Kablov E.N. Tendentsii i orientiry innovatsionnogo razvitiya Rossii: sb. nauch.-informats. mater. [Trends and guidelines for innovative development in Russia: book of scientific and information papers]. 3rd ed. Moscow: VIAM, 2015, 720 p. (In Russ.)

5. Kablov E.N., Ospennikova O.G., Lomberg B.S., Sidorov V.V. Priorities of development of technologies for the production of heat-resistant materials for aircraft engine building. Problemy chernoy metallurgii i materialovedeniya [Issues of Ferrous Metallurgy and Material Science], 2013, no. 3, pp. 47–54. (In Russ.)

6. Kablov E.N., Petrushin N.V., Svetlov I.L., Demonis I.M. Casting heat-resistant nickel alloys for promising aircraft gas turbine engines. Tekhnologiya legkikh splavov [Technology of Light Alloys], 2007, no. 2, pp. 6–16. (In Russ.)

7. Evgenov A.G., Rogalev A.M., Nerush S.V., Mazalov I.S. Study on the properties of EP648 alloy produced by selective laser fusion of metal powders. Trudy VIAM: electron. nauch.-tekhnich. zhurn. [Proceedings of VIAM: electronic scientific and technical journal], 2015, no. 2, paper 02. Available at: http://www.viam-works.ru (Accessed on October 16, 2017). DOI: 10.18577/2307-6046-2015-0-2-2-2.

8. Kablov E.N., Evgenov A.G., Ospennikova O.G., Semenov B.I. et al. Metal powder compositions of EP648 heat-resistant alloy produced by FSUE VIAM State Scientific Center of the Russian Federation using technologies of selective laser alloying, laser gas-powder surfacing and high-precision casting of polymers filled with metal powders. Izvestiya vuzov. Ser.: Mashinostroenie [News of Higher Educational Institutions. Series: Mechanical Engineering], 2016, no. 9 (678), pp. 62–80. (In Russ.)

9. Evgenov A.G., Rogalev A.M., Karachevtsev F.N., Mazalov I.S. Influence of hot isostatic pressing and heat treatment on the properties of EP648 alloy synthesized by selective laser fusion. Tekhnologiya mashinostroeniya [Technology of Machine Building], 2015, no. 9, pp. 11–16. (In Russ.)

10. Lomberg B.S., Moiseev S.A. Heat-resistant and wrought alloys for modern and promising gas turbine engines. Vse materialy. Entsiklopedicheskiy spravochnik [All Materials. Encyclopedic Reference Book], 2007, no. 6, pp. 2–5. (In Russ.)

11. Solntsev S.St., Shvagireva V.V., Isaeva N.V., Solovieva G.A. A heat-resistant coating for protection of high-strength complex-alloyed nickel alloys from high-temperature gas corrosion. Trudy VIAM: electron. nauch.-tekhnich. zhurn. [Proceedings of VIAM: electronic scientific and technical journal], 2014, no. 6, paper 04. Available at: http://www.viam-works.ru (Accessed on October 16, 2017). DOI: 10.18577/2307-6046-2014-0-6-4-4.

12. Lomberg B.S., Kapitanenko D.V., Mazalov I.S., Bubnov M.V. Technological parameters of producing parts by cold stamping from sheet blanks of heat-resistant alloys VZh159, VZh171 and high-strength alloy VZh172. Kuznechno-shtampovochnoe proizvodstvo. Obrabotka materialov davleniem [Forging and Stamping Production. Metal Forming], 2015, no. 8, pp. 14–19. (In Russ.)

13. Mazalov I.S., Evgenov A.G., Prager S.M. Prospects for the use of heat-resistant structurally stable alloy VZh159 for the additive production of high-temperature gas turbine engine parts. Aviatsionnye materialy i tekhnologii [Aviation Materials and Technologies], 2016, no. S1 (43), pp. 3–7. DOI: 10.18577/2071-9140-2016-0-S1-3-7.

14. Evgenov A.G., Gorbovets M.A., Prager S.M. Structure and mechanical properties of VZh159 and EP648 heat-resistant alloys produced by selective laser fusion. Aviatsionnye materialy i tekhnologii [Aviation Materials and Technologies], 2016, no. S1 (43), pp. 8–15. DOI: 10.18577/2071-9140-2016-0-S1-8-15.

15. Kablov E.N. Innovative applications developed by FSUE VIAM State Scientific Center of the Russian Federation to implement "The 2030 strategic priorities for the development of materials and technologies for their processing". Aviatsionnye materialy i tekhnologii [Aviation Materials and Technologies], 2015, no. 1 (34), pp. 3–33. DOI: 10.18577/2071-9140-2015-0-1-3-33.