ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2021-19-3-37-43

Abstract

Relevance and purpose of the study. Russia is one of the largest coal producers and exporters; about half of the production is exported, while most of the exported coal is shipped through the seaports. With the increase in the coal production and transportation, the negative load on the environment is growing. An important environmental problem is air pollution with coal dust, which can be in the air for a long time and move over considerable distances. Coal fines are intensively blown out during the coal transportation and storage, leading to losses of the mineral, as well as contamination of territories; in addition, fine fractions in coal reduce its quality and market value. Objective. The research is aimed at offering rationale for a technical and technological solution providing a reduction in dusting during coal mining and handling by removing fine fractions directly during a mining and loading process using a modernized roadheader, as well as reducing the number of special vehicles that accumulate and transport screened fine coal. Results. The paper proposes the design of a modernized roadheader, which ensures the separation of fine coal in the mining process, and the technology of its application. The roadheader is equipped with a scraper conveyor with a classification grid and a dust collection device. The coal chipped off by the milling working tool enters the loading table, from where it is fed to the scraper conveyor by gathering arms, which moves the coal over the classification screen. Fine coal fractions are screened through the screen slots and collected in an accumulator. A vibrator is installed on the classification screen to intensify the process. Coal fines are transported from the accumulator by a pneumatic conveying system to a container installed on the surface of the working platform; containers are exchanged with a special vehicle and delivered to the processing site. Coarse coal fractions are transported by a discharge conveyor to a dump truck. Conclusions. The proposed solution will ensure the removal of fine coal during the mining process, which will improve the quality of coal and reduce the negative impact of mining on the environment. Dusting will be significantly reduced, when loading a dump truck, transporting and reloading coal, entailing decreased losses from blowing and spilling coal. The use of removable containers for accumulating fine coal will reduce the number of special vehicles transporting screened fine coal and increase their productivity.

Keywords

Roadheader, scraper conveyor, classification screen, coal fines, pneumatic conveying system, container, dump truck.

For citation

Cheban A.Yu. Reducing Dust in Mining and Transferring Coal by Improving Mining Equipment. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2021, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 37–43. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2021-19-3-37-43

Anton Yu. Cheban – Lead Researcher, Mining Institute of the Khabarovsk Federal Research Center of the Far Eastern Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences (MI KhFRC FEB RAS), Khabarovsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Tarazanov I.G. Russia’s coal industry performance for January – December of 2018. Ugol [Coal], 2019, no. 3, pp. 64–79. (In Russ.)

2. Tarazanov I.G., Gubanov D.A. Russia’s coal industry performance for January – December of 2020. Ugol [Coal], 2021, no. 3, pp. 27–43. (In Russ.)

3. Jain R.K., Cui Z., Domen J.K. Environmental impact of mining and mineral processing, Butterworth-Heinemann, 2016, 307 p.

4. Jiuping Xu. Ecological coal mining based dynamic equilibrium strategy to reduce pollution emissions and energy consumption. Journal of Cleaner Production, 2017, no. 11, pp. 514–529.

5. Cheban A.Yu. Method and equipment for opencast mining of small steeply dipping deposits. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2017, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 18–23. (In Russ.)

6. Riazi M.R., Gupta R. Coal production and processing technology. Taylor & Francis Group, LLC, 2016, 535 p.

7. Cheban A.Yu. Technology of development of a coal deposit with the use of extremely-loading complex. Marksheiderskii vestnik [Mine Surveying Bulletin], 2019, no. 4, pp. 55–59. (In Russ.)

8. Rong Zh. New insights into the permeability-increasing area of overlying coal seams disturbed by the mining of coal. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, 2018, no. 1, pp. 352–364.

9. Voroshilov Ya.S., Fomin A.I. The influence of coal dust on the occupational morbidity of workers in the coal industry. Ugol [Coal], 2019, no. 4, pp. 20–25. (In Russ.)

10. Tripathy D.P., Dash T.R. Assessment of particulate and trace element pollution in airborne dust around a highly mechanized opencast coal mine in Talcher, Odisha. Fiziko-tekhnicheskie problemy razrabotki poleznykh iskopaemykh [Journal of Mining Science], 2018, no. 4, pp. 188–200. (In Russ.)

11. Agoshkov A.I., Blinovskaya Ya.Yu., Golokhvast K.S., Kuksin D.V. Prospects for Russian coal export and environment issues of construction and operation of coal terminals in the Far East. Gornyi zhurnal [Mining Journal], 2015, no. 3, pp. 56–60. (In Russ.)

12. Cheban A.Yu. Method of exercise work for small coal cuts with the application of an advanced mine operating combine. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskii byulleten [Mining Informational and Analytical Bulletin], 2019, no. 2, pp. 36–42. (In Russ.)

13. Demchenko I.I., Mulenkova A.O. Feasibility study for producing sized coal in the face of the Balakhtinsky open pit mine of the Krasnoyarsk Territory. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskii byulleten [Mining Informational and Analytical Bulletin], 2019, no. 1, pp. 36–47. (In Russ.)

14. Demchenko I.I., Mulenkova A.O. On the possibility of placing processing equipment in the face of the open pit to produce sized coal. Izvestiya vuzov. Gornyi zhurnal [Universities’ Proceedings. Mining Journal], 2017, no. 8, pp. 26–32. (In Russ.)

15. Artushkevich A.A., Artushkevich O.A., Artushkevich V.A. Sposob klassifikatsii uglya [Method of classifying coal]. Patent RF, no. 2363551, 2009.

16. Cheban A.Yu., Khrunina N.P. Dust reduction during coal mining and transshipment by modernizing mining equipment. Ugol [Coal], 2020, no. 1, pp. 65–67. (In Russ.)

17. Peham H. New technology of rock excavation at quarries. Gornaya promyshlennost [Mining Industry], 1995, no. 4, pp. 44–47. (In Russ.)

18. Gorev D.E. Improving the technology of development of multi-layer large brown coal deposits. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskii byulleten [Mining Informational and Analytical Bulletin], 2016, no. 7, pp. 175–185. (In Russ.)

19. Cheban A.Yu. Classification of structures of surface miners. Nedropolzovanie XXI vek. [Subsoil Use in the 21st Century], 2015, no. 5, pp. 64–69. (In Russ.)

20. Shuvalov Yu.V., Tarasov Yu.D., Nikulin A.N. Providing rationale for feasible technologies used to produce fuel and energy raw materials by applying solid combustible coal-containing wastes. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskii byulleten [Mining Informational and Analytical Bulletin], 2011, no. 8, pp. 243–247. (In Russ.)

21. Adamkov A.V. Dust content of air in the faces of the preliminary development during the operation of roadheaders. Vestnik Kuzbasskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta [Vestnik of Kuzbass State Technical University], 2004, no. 1, pp. 56–59. (In Russ.)

22. Metodika rascheta vrednykh vybrosov (sbrosov) dlya kompleksa oborudovaniya otkrytykh gornykh rabot (na osnove udelnykh pokazatelei) [Methodology for calculating hazardous emissions (discharges) for a complex of equipment for open pit mining (based on specific indicators)]. The Ministry of Fuel and Energy of the Russian Federation – Skochinsky Institute of Mining, Lyubertsy, 1999, 68 p. (In Russ.)