ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2021-19-1-48-59

Abstract

The first metallographic studies of D.K. Chernov, the Russian metallurgist, metal scientist, are considered to be the beginning of the scientific study on the structure of cast metal. Dmitry K. Chernov in meticulous detail studied the process of crystal formation and growth within the solidification of liquid metal, gave a diagram of the structural zones of steel ingots, and developed the theory of successive crystallization, comprehensively studied the defects of cast steel [1], and outlined the results of his research and the necessity of studying the internal quality of cast metal in the historical message "Studies related to the structure of cast ingots" addressed to the Imperial Russian Technical Society on December 2, 1878. The modern technical literature on metallurgical science contains a lot of different scientific studies in the field of the quality of continuously cast steel billets and the evolution of cast metal during hot rolling. There are domestic and foreign books and textbooks, as well as numerous collections of conference proceedings and papers containing studies on the structural and chemical heterogeneity of continuously cast carbon steel. This paper presents comprehensive information about the influence of metallurgical heredity on the structure and mechanical properties of hypoeutectoid steel during subsequent hot rolling. The presented data show the development of macroscopic, metallographic, and instrumental methods for studying the chemical and structural heterogeneity of continuously cast steel. Classical and modern research methods are compared.

Keywords

Macrostructure, slab, segregation, microstructure, hypoeutectoid steel, rolled products.

For citation

Khlybov A.A., Vorozheva E.L. Influence of the Initial Cast Structure on the Quality of Hot Rolled Hypoeutectoid Steel. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2021, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 48–59. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2021-19-1-48-59

Aleksandr A. Khlybov – DrSc (Eng.), Professor, Alekseev Nizny Novgorod State Technical University, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0002-6559-7819

Evgeniya L. Vorozheva – PhD student, Alekseev Nizny Novgorod State Technical University, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0003-1728-7776

1. Chernov D.K. Izbrannye trudy po metallurgii i metallovedeniyu [Selected studies on metallurgy and metal science]. Originated by Federov A.S., PhD (Eng.); edited by Sadovsky V.D., academician. Moscow: Nauka, 1983, 447 p. (In Russ.)

2. Feiler S.V., Emelyanova E.E. Continuous casting of steel: from idea to industrial production. Istoriya nauki i tekhniki i universitetskoe obrazovanie: sbornik materialov nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii aspirantov, magistrantov i studentov UrFU i MISIS [History of science and engineering and university education: proceedings of the scientific and practical conference of PhD students, master’s students and students of UrFU and MISIS], 2010, pp. 44–49. ISBN 978-5-87623-381-3 (In Russ.)

3. Emelyanov K.I. Sistemnyi analiz neravnovesnoy kristallizatsii uglerodistykh i nizkolegirovannykh stalei dlya prognozirovaniya ikh strukturnoy i khimicheskoy mikroneodnorodnosti: dis. [A system analysis of non-equilibrium crystallization of carbon and low-alloyed steels to forecast their structural and chemical microinhomogeneity: PhD thesis]. Saint Petersburg, 2014. 178 p.

4. George Krauss. Solidification, segregation, and banding in carbon and alloy steels. The 2003 Howe Memorial Lecture Published with permission of the Iron & Steel Society. Metallurgical and materials transactions. VOLUME 34B, DECEMBER 2003, pp.781–792

5. Ghosh A. Segregation in cast products. Department of Materials and Metallurgical Engineering. Sadhana, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur 208 016, India. Vol. 26, Parts 1 & 2, February–April 2001, pp. 5–24. e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

6. Zavalishchin A.N., Kozhevnikov E.V. Effect of a continuous casting technology on the structure of low-alloyed steel at different production stages. Metallurg [Metallurgist], 2017, no. 12, pp.13–18. (In Russ.)

7. Belyi A.P., Isaev O.B., Matrosov Yu.I., Nosochenko A.O. Tsentralnaya segregatsionnaya neodnorodnost v nepreryvnolitykh zagotovkakh i tolstolistovom prokate [Central segregation inhomogeneity in concast billets and heavy plates]. Moscow: Metallurgizdat, 2005, 136 p. (In Russ.)

8. Kazakov A.A., Pakhomova O.V., Kazakova E.I. Study on a cast structure of an industrial slab from ferrite-pearlite steel. Chernye metally [Ferrous Metals], 2012, no. 11, pp. 9–14. (In Russ.)

9. Efron L.I. Metal science in “large” metallurgy. Tube and pipe steels. Moscow: Metallurgizdat, 2012, 696 p. (In Russ.)

10. Malakhov N.V., Motovilina G.D., Khlusova E.I., Kazakov A.A. Structural inhomogeneity and methods of its reduction to improve the quality of structural steels. Voprosy materialovedeniya [Materials Science Issues], 2009, no. 3, pp. 52–64. (In Russ.)

11. Shaburova N.A., Kishtykova M.S., Goldshtein V.Ya., Rushchits S.V., Plastinin B.G. Study on defects of hot rolled plates from pipe steels and reasons for their formation. Vestnik YuUrGU. Ser. Metallurgiya [Bulletin of SUSU. Metallurgy Series], 2018, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 82–86. doi: 10.14529/met180409

12. Barykov A.M. (ed.) Development of steelmaking technologies, manufacturing processes for rolled products and pipes on the Vyksa industrial site. Proceedings. Moscow: Metallurgizdat, 2016, 480 p. (In Russ.)

13. Kazakov A.A., Chigintsev L.S., Kazakova E.I., Ryaboshuk S.V., Markov S.I. A procedure used to evaluate segregation streaks on flat products. Chernye metally [Ferrous Metals], 2009, no. 12, pp. 17–22. (In Russ.)

14. Zavalishchin A.N., Chikishev D.N., Kozhevnikov E.V. Methods of evaluation of the concast steel slab macrostructure of pipe steel grades in the strength category K60 and K65. Stal [Steel], 2020, no. 1, pp. 8–11. (In Russ.)

15. Moshkunov V.V., Stolyarov A.M., Kazakov A.S. Reduction of axial chemical inhomogeneity of pipe steel as a result of soft reduction of concast slabs. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2012, no. 2, pp. 24–25. (In Russ.)

16. Krylova E.A., Stolyarov A.M., Moshkunov V.V., Potapova M.V. Chemical inhomogeneity of concast slabs from pipe ultra-low sulfur steels. Teoriya i tekhnologiya metallurgicheskogo proizvodstva [Theory and Technology of Metallurgical Production], 2017, no. 1, pp. 20–22. (In Russ.)

17. Razgulin I.A., Chikishev D.N., Zavalishchin A.N. Study on the transformation of chemical inhomogeneity (liquation) during heavy plate rolling of micro-alloyed pipe steels. Modelirovanie i razvitie protsessov OMD [Simulation and development of metal forming processes], 2017, no. 23, pp. 44–49. (In Russ.)

18. Kuzmin Yu.D., Sekachev A.O., Kachikov A.S., Terzi V.V. Dendritic liquation in iron alloys as a function of the mass and physical properties of the secondary elements. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedenii. Chernaya metallurgiya [Izvestiya. Ferrous Metallurgy], 2014, vol. 57, no. 9, pp. 52–55. (In Russ.)

19. Stolyarov A.M., Moshkunov V.V., Potapova M.V. Chemical inhomogeneity of concast slabs of various thickness from pipe steels. Chernaya metallurgiya. Byulleten nauchno-tekhnicheskoy i ekonomicheskoy informatsii [Ferrous Metallurgy. Bulletin of Scientific, Technical and Economical Information], 2019, vol. 75, no. 10, 2019, pp. 1140–1145. https://doi.org/10.32339/0135-5910-2019-10-1140-1144

20. Anastasiadi G.P., Kondratiev S.Yu., Silnikov M.V. Role of CCT diagrams of the decay of supercooled austenite, when developing structural steels. Nauchno-tekhnicheskie vedomosti Sankt-Peterburgskogo gosudarstvennogo politekhnicheskogo universiteta [St. Petersburg State Polytechnic University Journal. Science and Engineering], 2016, no. 2(243), pp. 99–113. DOI: 10.5862/JEST.243.11

21. John D. Verhoeven. A review of microsegregation induced banding phenomena in steels. Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, vol. 9(3), June 2000, pp. 286–296.

22. Kudrya A.V. Joint effect of structures of various scales on variations in the quality of steel products. Metallovedenie i termicheskaya obrabotka metallov [Metal Science and Heat Treatment of Metals], 2005, no. 5, pp. 18–23. (In Russ.)

23. Razgulin I.A., Chikishev D.N. Simulation of a rolling process of slabs with axial chemical inhomogeneity. Aktualnye problemy sovremennoy nauki, tekhniki i obrazovaniya [Current Issues of Modern Science, Engineering and Education], 2017, vol. 1, pp. 68–71. (In Russ.)

24. Kazakov A.A, Pakhomova O.V., Kazakova E.I. Study on the evolution of a cast structure during plastic working of ferrite-pearlite steel. Chernye metally [Ferrous Metals], 2013, no. 9, pp. 15–20. (In Russ.)

25. Gudremon E. Spetsialnye stali [Special steels]. Translated from German, 2nd edition, abridged and revised; edited by Zaimovsky A.S. Moscow: Metallurgy, 1966, vol. 1, 737 p. (In Russ.)

26. Flemmings M. Protsessy zatverdevaniya [Hardening processes]. Translated from English by Vigdorovich V.N., Glebovsky V.G., Pozdeev P.P., Rubinchik B.M., Spektor E.Z.; edited by Zhukov A.A., DrSc (Eng.), Rabinovich V.V., DrSc (Eng.). Moscow: Mir, 1977, 413 p. (In Russ.)

27. George Krauss. Solidification, segregation, and banding in carbon and alloy Steels. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, volume 34B, December 2003, pp. 781–792.

28. Shveeva T.V. Povyshenie potrebitelskikh svoistv stalnykh izdelii neitralizatsiei strukturnoy nasledstvennosti pri tekhnologicheskom metalloperedele v mashinostroenii: avtoreferat dissertatsii na soiskanie uchenoy stepeni kandidata tekhnicheskikh nauk [Increasing consumer properties of steel parts by neutralizing structural heredity on a process stage in mechanical engineering: extended abstract of the PhD (Eng.) thesis]. Naberezhnye Chelny, 2012, 23 p.

29. Astashchenko V.I. Issledovanie nasledstvennogo vliyaniya metallurgicheskikh faktorov na protsessy strukturoobrazovaniya stalei pri termicheskoy obrabotke tyazhelonagruzhennykh detalei avtomobilya: avtoreferat dissertatsii na soiskanie uchenoy stepeni kandidata tekhnicheskikh nauk [Study on the inherited effect of metallurgical factors on forming structures of steels during heat treatment of heavy duty automobile parts: extended abstract of the PhD (Eng.) thesis]. Izhevsk, 2007, 39 p.

30. Tsvetkov D.S. Povyshenie stabilnosti svoistv i kachestva produktsii stana 5000 OAO «Severstal» za schet uluchsheniya struktury tolstolistovogo shtripsa iz vysokoprochnykh nizkolegirovannykh stalei: avtoreferat dissertatsii na soiskanie uchenoy stepeni kandidata tekhnicheskikh nauk [Increasing stability of properties and quality of products of mill 5000 at OJSC Severstal by improving the structure of skelps from high-strength low-alloyed steels: extended abstract of the PhD (Eng.) thesis]. Saint Petersburg, 2012, 22 p.