ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2021-19-1-35-41

Abstract

Problem Statement: Research is aimed at solving one of the most pressing problems in the field of materials science – protection against corrosion of oil equipment by using electrolytic coatings. To protect against corrosion, it is conventional to use metals, such as chromium, nickel, zinc, and cadmium. However, a protective layer is not always a comprehensive solution. The most promising is to use nickel-molybdenum electrolytic alloys, which served as a main subject of this research. Methods Applied: To carry out the research, we used modern methods of studying the structure and properties of materials. Electrodeposition of coatings was carried out in laboratory conditions from sulfuric acid electrolyte. Corrosion resistance was determined by a gravimetric method in produced water of oil fields. The coating structure was studied with Philips CM-12, a transmission electron microscope, and JEOL JSM-6510 A, a scanning microscope. Originality: For the first time for nickel-molybdenum electrolytic alloys we carried out the tests for corrosion resistance under conditions close to operational ones. We determined how nickel alloying and annealing temperature influence the corrosion rate of coatings. Practical Relevance: The obtained results allow us to make a conclusion about the use of electrolytic coatings with nickel-molybdenum alloys instead of toxic coatings with chromium. Result: This research paper presents the results of the studies on the structure and properties of nickel-molybdenum electrolytic coatings used for protection of oil field equipment parts against corrosion. The research contains the modes of production and thermal treatment of electrolytic coatings, and research methods. The authors assessed a potential operation of electrolytic alloys in oil fields. It has been found that annealing after electroplating of coatings does not adversely affect the adhesion of coatings to the substrate, and in some cases it improves the adhesion.

Keywords

Electrolytic coatings, heat treatment, structure, coating properties, operational properties, resistance to corrosion.

For citation

Kulemina A.A., Kovenskiy I.M. Electrolytic Nickel-Molybdenum Coatings Applied to Protect Parts of Oilfield Equipment. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2021, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 35–41. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2021-19-1-35-41

Alena A. Kulemina – Senior Lecturer, The Industrial University of Tyumen, Tyumen, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., ORCID 0000-0003-2076-166X

Ilya M. Kovenskiy – DrSc (Eng.), Professor, The Industrial University of Tyumen, Tyumen, Russia. Еmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., ORCID 0000-0003-3241-8084

1. M.G. Pavlović et al. Electrochemical deposition and characterization of Ni-Mo alloy powders. Processing and Application of Ceramics, 2007, 1 [1–2], 11–17.

2. J. Halim et al. Electrodeposition and characterization of nanocrystalline Ni-Mo catalysts for hydrogen production. Hindawi Publishing Corporation, Journal of Nanomaterials. 2012, Article ID 845673, doi:10.1155/2012/845673

3. Nitin P. Wasekar et al. Influence of molybdenum on the mechanical properties, electrochemicalcorrosion and wear behavior of electrodeposited Ni-Mo alloy. Surface & Coatings Technology, 2019, 370, 298–310.

4. Allahyarzadeh M.H., Roozbehani B., Ashrafi A. Electrodeposition of high Mo content amorphous/nanocrystalline Ni–Mo alloys using 1-ethyl-3-methyl-imidazolium chloride ionic liquid as an additive. Electrochimica Acta, 2011, 56, 10210–10216.

5. Plekhanov I.F. Raschet i konstruirovanie ustroystv dlya naneseniya galvanicheskikh pokrytiy [Calculation and design of devices for electrodeposited coatings]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1988, 224 p. (In Russ.)

6. Povetkin V.V. et al. Electrochemical alloying of iron and nickel with molybdenum. Metally [Metals], 1997, no. 4, pp. 41–43. (In Russ.)

7. Kulemina A.A., Kovenskiy I.M., Michiy S.S. Influence of annealing on corrosion properties of electroplated coatings. IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering. 2019, 511, pp.12–15 doi:10.1088/1757-899X/511/1/012015.

8. Kulemina A.A., Kovenskiy I.M. Influence of the conditions for obtaining coatings on the structure and properties. Materials Today: Proceedings, 2019, 11, pp. 311–316.

9. Stryuchkova Yu.M. et al. Study of Ni-Mo electrodeposition in direct and pulse-reverse current. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 2017, vol. 857, issue 1, 012046.

10. Kovensky I.M. et al. Forming the structure of nickel-molybdenum alloys during electrodeposition and annealing. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedeniy. Neft i gaz [Oil and Gas Studies], 2015, no. 2, pp. 97–100. (In Russ.)

11. Bokshtein B.S. Diffuziya v metallakh [Diffusion in metals]. Moscow: Metallurgy, 1978, 248 p. (In Russ.)

12. Kulemina A.A. et al. Effect of conditions of producing coatings on the structure and properties of electrodeposited nickel and nickel-based alloys. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedeniy. Neft i gaz [Oil and Gas Studies], 2018, no. 3, pp. 123–127. (In Russ.)