ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2020-18-3-42-49

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance): Lead and its alloys are commonly used in hydrometallurgy, battery production, electroplating and a number of other areas. The lead anode, both alloyed and unalloyed one, is a heterogeneous system; in spatially delimited areas two main processes take place, namely oxygen evolution and lead oxidation. To increase the resistance of the lead anode, it is necessary to facilitate the first process to the maximum and slow down the second one. One of the methods aimed at increasing resistance of a lead anode is its alloying with other metals. In this research up to 0.5 wt% of cadmium was used as an alloying addition to lead. Electrochemical studies indicate a positive effect of cadmium additives on the corrosion resistance of lead. There is no information in the literature on the effect of cadmium additives on the thermal properties of lead. Objective: To study the effect of lead alloying with cadmium additives and its effect on the thermal properties of lead. Methods Applied: In the research the heat capacity of leadcadmium alloys was studied in a "cooling" mode by comparing the cooling curves of the reference standard (Pb grade C00) and the samples under study. The calculations were carried out using computer technology and the Sigma Plot software. Novelty: For the first time, the effect of alloying of lead with cadmium on the thermal and thermodynamic properties of alloys. Practical Relevance: An increase in the heat capacity and heat transfer coefficient of lead, when alloyed with cadmium, helps to improve the performance quality of the electrodes of electrolysis baths and, consequently, the finished products.

Keywords

Lead, cadmium, Pb-Cd system, heat capacity, heat transfer coefficient, "cooling" mode, thermodynamic functions.

For citation

Navruzov Kh.P., Ganiev I.N., Amonullo Kh., Eshov B.B., Mulloeva N.M. Influence of Cadmium Additives on Thermal Properties and Thermodynamic Functions of Lead. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2020, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 42–49. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2020-18-3-42-49

Khurshed P. Navruzov – Master's student, Nikitin Institute of Chemistry, the National Academy of Sciences of Tajikistan, Dushanbe, the Republic of Tajikistan.

Izatullo N. Ganiev – DrSc (Chem.), Professor, Academician of the National Academy of Sciences of Tajikistan, Head of the Laboratory, Nikitin Institute of Chemistry, the National Academy of Sciences of Tajikistan, Dushanbe, the Republic of Tajikistan. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Amonullo Khayrullo – PhD (Eng.), Senior Lecturer, the Department of Materials Science, Metallurgical Machines and Equipment, Osimi Tajik Technical University, Dushanbe, Tajikistan.

Bakhtier B. Eshov – DrSc (Eng.), Associate Professor, Director of the State Scientific Institution Center for Research of Innovative Technologies at the National Academy of Sciences of Tajikistan, Dushanbe, Tajikistan. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Nukra M. Mulloeva – Head of the Laboratory, State Scientific Institution Center for Research of Innovative Technologies at the National Academy of Sciences of Tajikistan, Dushanbe, Tajikistan.

1. Taranjot K., Jeewan Sh., Tejbir S. Feasibility of Pb-Zn binary alloys as gamma rays shielding materials. International Journal of Pure and Applied Physics, 2017, vol. 13, no 1, pp. 222–225.

2. Chikova O.A., Sakun G.V., Tsepelev V.S. Formation of Cu-Pb alloys by means of liquid metal homogenization. Russian Journal of Non-Ferrous Metals, 2016, vol. 57, pp. 580–585.

3. Asiful H.S., El-Sayed M.S., Sohail M.A., Khan M., Muneer B., Mohammad A.A., Nabeel A. Microstructure characterization and corrosion resistance properties of Pb-Sb alloys for lead acid battery spine produced by different casting methods. PLOS ONE 13(5): e0197227. 8 May 2018.

4. Osório W.R., Rosa D.M., Garcia A. Electrochemical behaviour of a Pb-Sb alloy in 0.5m NaCl and 0.5 MH2SO4 solutions. Materials & Design, 2012, no. 34, pp. 660–665.

5. Osório W.R., Freitas E.S., Peixoto L.C., Spinelli J.E., Garcia A. The effects of tertiary dendrite arm spacing and segregation on the corrosion behavior of a Pb-Sb alloy for lead-acid battery components. J. Power Sour. 2012, no. 207, pp. 183–190.

6. Dunaev Yu.D. Nerastvorimye anody iz splavov na osnove svintsa [Insoluble lead alloy anodes]. Alma-Ata: Science, 1978, 316 p. (In Russ.)

7. Mulloeva N.M., Ganiev I.N. Splavy svintsa s shchelochnozemelnymi metallami [Alloys of lead with alkaline earth metals]. Dushanbe: Andaleb R., 2015, 166 p. (In Russ.)

8. Mulloeva N.M., Ganiev I.N., Makhmadulloev Kh. Teplofizicheskie i termodinamicheskie svoystva splavov svintsa s shchelochnozemelnymi metallami [Thermophysical and thermodynamic properties of lead alloys with alkaline earth metals]. Germany: LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, 2013, 66 p. (In Russ.)

9. Umarov M.A., Ganiev I.N. Temperature dependence of heat capacity and changes in thermodynamic functions of C2 grade lead. Izvestiya Samarskogo nauchnogo tsentra RAN [Izvestiya of the Samara Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences], 2018, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 23–29. (In Russ.)

10. Maltsev M.V. Modifitsirovanie struktury metallov i splavov [Modification of the structure of metals and alloys]. Moscow: Metallurgy, 1984, 280 p. (In Russ.)

11. Ganiev I.N., Parkhutik P.A., Vakhobov A.V., Kupriyanova I.Yu. Modifitsirovanie siluminov strontsiem [Modification of silumins with strontium]. Minsk: Science and technology, 1985, 152 p. (In Russ.)

12. Bryntseva V.I., Dunaev Yu.D. Kinetika i mekhanizm elektrokhimicheskikh reaktsiy [In the book: Kinetics and the mechanism of electrochemical reactions]. Alma-Ata: Science, 1977, 47 p. (In Russ.)

13. Van Bueren. Defekty v kristallakh [Defects in crystals]. Moscow: IL, 1962, 610 p. (In Russ.)