ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2020-18-2-62-70

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance): The paper describes the features and results of determining the strength characteristics (angle of internal friction and specific cohesion) of uniformly graded bulk coarse-grained media used to construct open pit truck haul roads. Objectives: To determine the effect of a particle size on the angle of internal friction and the specific cohesion of uniformly graded bulk coarse-grained media. Methods Applied: Laboratory methods were applied to determine the strength characteristics using a direct shear apparatus and an improved oblique shear apparatus that implements the oblique cutting method. Originality: The novelty elements include a method for determining the strength characteristics of coarse-grained media using the improved oblique shear apparatus, which made it possible to establish the presence and dependence of specific cohesion on the particle size. Findings: It was revealed that there are no fundamental differences in mechanical performance obtained both with the direct shear device and the oblique shear apparatus, and, therefore, the latter can be used to determine the strength characteristics of bulk coarse-grained media. It was found that a twofold increase in the particle size of uniformly graded granular medium leads not only to an increase in the angle of internal friction by approximately two degrees, but also in specific cohesion up to 8 kPa. However, the increase in specific cohesion with a particle size of 3 mm or less proceeds according to a different law than with a grain size of over 3 mm. Practical Relevance: The data obtained will contribute to apply a more justified approach to the design of pavements with layers of uniformly graded bulk coarse-grained media by an additional assessment of their shear resistance, and serve as a basis for the development of a mathematical model for predicting the strength characteristics of polyfractional bulk materials.

Keywords

Open pit truck haul roads, angle of internal friction, specific cohesion, bulk media, crushed rock, strength.

For citation

Shabaev S.N. Influence of the Size of Uniformly Graded Bulk Media Particles on Strength Characteristics. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2020, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 62–70. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2020-18-2-62-70

Sergey N. Shabaev – PhD (Eng.), Associate Professor, Head of the Department of Motor Roads and City Cadaster, Gorbachev Kuzbass State Technical University, Kemerovo, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Kolchanov A.G. On the required strength of road structures for mining dump trucks. Gorny zhurnal [Mining Journal], 1987, no. 6, pp. 16–18. (In Russ.)

2. Bogomolov S.V. Choice of optimal parameters for open pit truck haul roads. Povyshenie effektivnosti dorozhnogo stroitelstva v usloviyakh Sibiri [Increasing efficiency of road construction in Siberia]. Kemerovo: KuzPI, 1991, pp. 127–132. (In Russ.)

3. Kolchanov A.G. Design of open pit truck haul roads. Gornaya promyshlennost [Mining Industry], 2010, no. 6, pp. 56–59. (In Russ.)

4. Arefiev S.A. Experimental evaluation of dependence of pavement characteristics in quarries on the compaction of roads with open pit dump trucks. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2015, no. 2, pp. 5–11. (In Russ.)

5. Arefiev S.A. Justification of the quarry road pavement structures designed for heavy-duty dump trucks. Estestvennye i tekhnicheskie nauki [Natural and Technical Sciences], 2015, no. 1, pp. 38–39. (In Russ.)

6. Solovyev G.V., Vatchnadze K.I. Improving of performance characteristics during mechanical stabilization of quarry haul roads with stiff polymeric Tensar TriAx hexagonal geogrid. Procedia Engineering, 2017, vol. 189, pp. 666–672.

7. Sara L. Jackson. Dusty roads and disconnections: Perceptions of dust from unpaved mining roads in Mongolia’s South Gobi province. Geoforum, 2015, vol. 66, pp. 94–105.

8. Chernobai V.I. Development and characterization of formulation of dust-suppressant used for stope road in open-pit mines. Journal of Coal Science and Engineering (China), 2013 (June), vol. 19, iss. 2, pp. 219–225.

9. Moldovan D.V. The rock pile quality control during the blasting operations at the construction materials open-cast mines. Journal of Industrial Pollution Control, 2017, vol. 33, iss. 1, pp. 1007–1012.

10. Vasilieva A.A., Mikheev V.V., Lobanova T.L. On the dependence of the strength properties of gravel soils on the type and condition of sand pore aggregate. Osnovaniya, fundamenty i mekhanika gruntov [Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering], 1971, no. 3, pp. 9–11. (In Russ.)

11. Gordienko P.I. Some design issues of high earth and rock-fill dams. Sbornik trudov MISI im. V. V. Kuibysheva [Proceedings of Kuibyshev Moscow Civil Engineering Institute], 1960, no. 32, pp. 32–34. (In Russ.)

12. Bondarev V.G. Mathematical modeling of the wall effect in random packing of particle systems. Sovremennyye tendentsii razvitiya nauki i tekhnologiy [Current trends in the development of science and technologies], 2015, no. 2-1, pp. 12–15. (In Russ.)

13. Shabaev S.N., Ivanov S.A., Martel N.A. The development of theoretical basis of mathematical model of crushed rock particle-particle packing. E3S Web of Conferences. 4th International Innovative Mining Symposium. Volume 105, 2019, Article 01028. doi: https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/201910501028.