ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2020-18-2-47-55

Abstract

Problem Statement: Ferrofluid used to obtain products suitable for ingot melting of doré bars addresses a currently important task for small mining enterprises - the production of marketable commercial products, as this provides increased economic efficiency of the enterprise. Objectives: Development of a technology for mass synthesis of ferrofluid that is stable in strong inhomogeneous magnetic fields by applying new technological approaches to two problems - obtaining nanosized particles of magnetite and ensuring aggregative stability of non-aqueous colloidal solutions prepared on their basis in gold extraction by magnetogravimetric separation. Originality: The authors substantiated and identified efficiency of mass production of magnetite nanoparticles by a heterogeneous chemical condensation method characterized in that they first obtain stable condensation centers of a supramolecular size (seeds), and then ensure their growth up to the required nanoscale. Applying the principles of the theory of polymolecular adsorption, the authors proved stabilization efficiency, when chemically and physically sorbed stabilizer layers are created on the surface of magnetite nanoparticles, and then the second layer is transferred to the unprotected surface of magnetite nanoparticles. Findings: The authors developed a magnetic fluid mass synthesis process: magnetite nanoparticles were produced by a heterogeneous chemical condensation, and the system was stabilized by mixing magnetite nanoparticles protected and unprotected by the stabilizer. The quality of ferrofluid produced by this technology meets the requirements of magnetogravimetric separation of materials by density. Practical Relevance: The developed technology provides a reduction in capital costs and operating costs for the synthesis of ferrofluid.

Keywords

Nanomagnetite, synthesis, stabilization, ferrofluid, separation, gold.

For citation

Evdokimov S.I., Gerasimenko T.E. Theory and Practice of Preparing and Applying Ferrofluid. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2020, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 47–55. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2020-18-2-47-55

Sergey I. Evdokimov – PhD (Eng.), Associate Professor

North Caucasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (State Technological University), Vladikavkaz, Russia

Tatiana E. Gerasimenko – PhD (Eng.), Head of the Intellectual Property Department

North Caucasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (State Technological University), Vladikavkaz, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Ivanov L.A., Muminova S.R. Nanotechnology and nanomaterials: a review of new inventions. Part 1. Nanotekhnologii v stroitelstve. Nauchny internet-zhurnal [Nanotechnologies in Construction. Scientific Internet Journal], 2017, no. 1, vol. 9, pp. 88–106. (In Russ.)

2. Gubin S.P., Koksharov Yu.A., Khomutov G.B., Yurkov G.Yu. Magnetic nanoparticles: production methods, structure and properties. Uspekhi khimii [Russian Chemical Reviews], 2005, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. 539–574. (In Russ.)

3. Dykman L.A., Bogatyrev V.A. Gold nanoparticles: production, functionalization, use in biochemistry and immunochemistry. Uspekhi khimii [Russian Chemical Reviews], 2007, vol.76, no. 2, pp. 199–213. (In Russ.)

4. Krutyakov Yu.A., Kudrinsky A.A., Oleshin A.Yu., Lisichkin G.V. Synthesis and properties of silver nanoparticles: achievements and prospects. Uspekhi khimii [Russian Chemical Reviews], 2008, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 242–269. (In Russ.)

5. Lebedev A.V. Dipole interparticle interaction in magnetic fluids. Colloid Journal, 2014, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 334–341.

6. Arefeva I.M., Lebedev A.V. Determination of maximum particle size in magnetic fluids. Colloid Journal, 2016, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 269–272.

7. Erin K.V. On variations in size distributions of particles and aggregates upon dilution of magnetic fluids. Colloid Journal, 2017, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 50–55.

8. Evdokimov S.I., Panshin A.M., Kanashvili M.Zh. Magnetic fluid: a new technology. Izv. vuzov. Tsvetnaya metallurgiya [Universities’ Proceedings. Non-Ferrous Metallurgy], 2008, no. 2, pp. 15–19. (In Russ.)

9. Evdokimov S.I., Panshin A.M., Kanashvili M.Zh. Producing magnetic fluid for the separation of mineral raw materials. Obogashchenie rud [Ore Beneficiation], 2007, no. 4, pp. 18-21. (In Russ.)

10. Fleer G.J., Lyklema J. Polymer adsorption and its effect on the stability of hydrophobic colloids. II. The flocculation process as studied with the silver iodide polyvinyl alcohol system. J. Colloid Interface Sci., 1974, vol. 46, pp. 1–12.

11. Fleer G.J., Lyklema J. Polymer adsorption and its effect on the stability of hydrophobic colloids. III. Kinetics of the flocculation of silver iodide sols. J. Colloid Interface Sci., 1976, vol. 55, pp. 228–258.

12. Lyklema J., Fleer G.J., Scheutjens I.I. The contribution of polymer adsorption layers to the stability of colloidal systems. Kolloidny zhurnal [Colloid Journal], 1987, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 211-216. (In Russ.)

13. Protodyakonov I.O., Lyublinskaya I.E., Ryzhkov A.E. Gidrodinamika i massoobmen v dispersnykh sistemakh zhidkost-tverdoe telo [Hydrodynamics and mass transfer in dispersed liquid-solid systems]. St. Petersburg: Chemistry, 1987, 336 p. (In Russ.)

14. Evdokimov S.I., Meshkov E.I., Gerasimenko T.E. Fusion technology nanopowder magnetic fluids. Scientific.net, Trans Tech Publications Electronic Journals, Switzerland, vol. 265, pp. 198-203, 2017, Published online: 25.09.2017, DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/ssp.265.198.

15. Evdokimov S.I., Gerasimenko T.E., Trotsenko I.G. Modular complexes for refining gold-containing concentrates by innovative physicotechnical and physicochemical technologies. Gorny informatsionno-analiticheskiy byulleten [Mining Informational and Analytical Bulletin], Special issue 25, 2018, pp. 72-85. DOI: 10.25018/0236-1493-2018-6-25-72-85.

16. Trotsenko I.G., Gerasimenko T.E., Evdokimov S.I. Improving the technology for finishing gold-containing concentrates. Tsvetnye metally [Non-ferrous Metals], 2018, no.7, pp. 39–45. DOI: 10.17580/tsm.2018.07.0610.25018/ 0236-1493-2018-6-25-72-85.