ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance): For over 300 years, the Ural region has been the metallurgical center of Russia, and over such a long period has accumulated a lot of man-made waste (i.e. slag). Understanding the material composition of slag poses an important problem, because before slags can be disposed of it is necessary to know their mineral composition. Many slags can potentially be used as ores suitable for further processing; some slags are man-made refractories, etc. At the same time, slags produced by copper smelters heavily affect the environment because they always contain sulphides, which, being exposed atmospheric waters, can easily decompose into sulfuric acid and heavy metals. Objectives: To understand the material (mineral) composition of the black slags of Karabash Copper Smelter that were produced and stored back in the Soviet period. Methods Applied: The chemical composition of the rock-forming and ore minerals was analysed with the help of a JSM-6390LV Scanning Electron Microscope by Jeol equipped with an INCA Energy 450 X-Max 80 system by Oxford Instruments (Institute of Geology and Geochemistry, the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Yekaterinburg). Polished petrographic thin sections cut from the black slag were used for analysis. Originality: The study of the material composition of the slags was carried out from the point of view of classical mineralogy on the basis of the modern compulsary nomenclature of the International Mineralogical Association. Findings: The authors have undertaken quite a detailed study of the mineralogy of the Karabash Copper Smelter black slags. It has been established that the slags are composed of a pigeonite-olivine aggregate, a significant amount of glass and rarely impregnated chromites, wustites and various sulphide phases. They are the products of the Soviet cop-per smelting industry, i.e. they were produced in a shaft furnace as a result of partial pyritic process. The temperature at which these slags had formed was determined by the eutectic (simultaneous) crystallization of wustite and fayalite and it was around 1,170°C. Practical Relevance: The obtained data indicate a drastic difference between the black slags of Karabash Copper Smelter from the Soviet period versus the slags produced by the plant today. As the studied slags contain sulphides and chromites, they are acceptable for further processing.

Keywords

Pigeonite, olivine, chromite, sulphides, mineralogy, slags, Karabash Copper Smelter.

Yury V. Erokhin – Cand.Sci. (Geology & Mineralogy), Lead Researcher

Institute of Geology and Geochemistry, Ural Branch of RAS, Yekaterinburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Anatoly V. Zakharov – Research Fellow

Institute of Geology and Geochemistry, Ural Branch of RAS, Yekaterinburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Lyubov V. Leonova – Cand.Sci. (Geology & Mineralogy), Senior Researcher

1. Nemtsev M.S. Ridderskaya kontsessiya Lesli Urkvarta: monografiya [Leslie Urquhart's Ridder Concession]. Ridder: Terra, 2008, 170 p. (In. Russ.)

2. Bashlykova T.V., Pakhomova G.A., Zhivaeva A.B., Kali-nichenko L.S. Deep processing of metallurgical wastes. Sovremennyye tekhnologii osvoyeniya mineralnykh resursov. Materialy 5-oy Mezhdun. nauch.-tekhn. konferentsii [Modern mineral resources development technology: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference]. Krasnoyarsk: ITsMiZ SFU, 2007, vol. 5, pp. 163–166. (In. Russ.)

3. Lykasov A.A., Matonin A.N., Vertiy I.G., Kimyashev A.A. Phase transformations during oxidizing roasting of copper sulfide smelter slag. Vestnik YuUrGU. Seriya: Metallurgiya [Bulletin of the South Ural State University. Series: Metal-lurgy], 2012, vol. 18, no. 15, pp. 97–99. (In. Russ.)

4. Shadrunova I.V., Ozhogina E.G., Kolodezhnaya E.V., Gor-lova O.E. Analysing the selectivity of smelter slag decom-position. Fiziko-tekhnicheskiye problemy razrabotki poleznykh iskopayemykh [Physical and technical problems in the development of mineral resources], 2013, no. 5. pp. 180–190. (In. Russ.)

5. Erokhin Yu.V., Kozlov P.S. Fayalite from the Sredneu-ralsk Copper Smelter slags. Mineralogiya tekhnogeneza – 2010 [Mineralogy of technogenesis – 2010]. Miass: IMin UrBr RAS, 2010, pp. 32–40. (In. Russ.)

6. Kozlov P.S., Erokhin Yu.V., Kozlova I.V. Fayalite slags of Mariinsk Steel Plant. Mineralogiya tekhnogeneza – 2011 [Mineralogy of technogenesis – 2011]. Miass: IMin UrBr RAS, 2011, pp. 39–50. (In. Russ.)

7. Rubin A.E. An American on Paris: Extent of aqueous alter-ation of a CM chondrite and the petrography of its refractory and amoeboid olivine inclusions. Meteoritics & Planetary Science. 50, 1595-1612 (2015). doi:10.1111/maps.12482

8. Wen D.-P., Wang Y.-F., Zhang J.-F., Jin Z.-M. Anisotropic growth of olivine during crystallization in basalts from Hawaii: Implications for olivine fabric development. American Mineralogist. 2018. V. 103. P. 735–741. doi:10.2138/am-2018-6174

9. Erokhin Yu.V. Mineralogy of slags from the Rezh Nickel Plant. Mineralogiya tekhnogeneza – 2012 [Mineralogy of technogenesis – 2012]. Miass: IMin UrBr RAS, 2012, pp. 50–64. (In. Russ.)

10. Simkin T., Smiht J.V. Minor-element distribution in olivine. Journal of Geology. 78, 304-325 (1970).

11. Dodd R.T. Calc-aluminous insets in olivine of the Sharps chondrite. Mineralogical Magazine. 38, 451–458 (1971).

12. Castro A.I., Proenza J.A., Zaccarini F., Garuti G., Sarlabous M.S. Al- and Cr-rich chromitites from the Eastern Havana-Matanzas ophiolites (Western Cuba). Episodes. 38, 334-343 (2015). doi:10.18814/epiugs/2015/v38i4/82429

13. Erokhin Yu.V., Koroteev V.A., Khiller V.V., Ivanov K.S., Kleimenov D.A. The Severny Kolchim meteorite: new data on mineralogy. Doklady Earth Sciences. 482, 1, 1189–1192 (2018). doi:10.1134/S1028334X18090118

14. Chesnokov B.V., Shcherbakova E.P. Mineralogiya gorelykh otvalov Chelyabinskogo ugolnogo basseyna (opyt mineralogii tekhnogeneza): monografiya [Mineralogy of the burned coal dumps of the Chelyabinsk coal basin (mineralogy of technogenesis): Monograph]. Moscow: Nauka, 1991, 152 p. (In. Russ.)

15. Buchwald V.F. Iron and steel in ancient times. Copenhagen: Royal Danish academy of sciences and letters. 2005. 372 p.

16. Artemyev D.A., Ankushev M.N., Blinov I.A., Kotlyarov V.A. Mineralogy and origin of slags from the 6th kurgan of the Taksay 1 Burial complex, Western Kazakhstan. Canadian Mineralogist. 56, 6, 883–904 (2018). doi:10.3749/canmin.1800025

17. Kosyakov V.I., Sinyakova E.F. Melt crystallization of CuFe2S3 in the Cu-Fe-S system. Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry. 115, 511–516 (2014). doi:10.1007/s10973-013-3206-0