ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance): The paper describes some features and prospective benefits of deformation by methods of drawing with shear (SD) and high pressure torsion (HPT) in a temperature range of dynamic strain aging (DSA) effect, which allow receiving a high complex of physical and mechanical properties. Objectives: The study aims to investigate and analyze features of the structure formation with the combined application of severe plastic deformation (SPD) and the DSA effect during deformation by drawing with shear and high pressure torsion, to establish patterns of the gradient structure formation. Methods Applied: 1. Computer simulation in Deform 3D software to investigate the stress-strain state on materials with various types of a crystalline lattice: copper grade M1 (FCC), Steel 10 (BCC) and titanium VT1-0 (HCP) and a further comparison with experimental results. 2. Microhardness measurement 3. Scanning and transmission electron microscopy. Originality: This research resulted in investigation of the combined effect of the DSA effect and SPD on the gradient structure formation and mechanical properties of metals with various crystalline lattices. Findings: the paper presents the results of the study of the structure formation during non-monotonous plastic deformation of the alloys (steel 10, copper and titanium) with various crystalline lattice types by SD, as well as ECAP and HPT of low-carbon steel in the temperature range of the DSA effect. Deformation mechanisms and features of the deformation behavior on a mesoscopic scale under various deformation treatment modes are analyzed. The temperature range of the DSA effect in steel 10 under ECAP and the fact of the gradient structure formation under HPT are established. Practical Relevance: The study helped to obtain data that can be used to choose the optimal deformation treatment mode with the DSA effect.

Keywords

Severe plastic deformation, high pressure torsion, drawing with shear, dynamic strain aging, steel 10, copper M1, titanium VT1-0, computer simulation, stress-strain state, microstructure.

Georgy I. Raab – DSc (Eng.)

Ufa State Aviation Technical University, Ufa, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Ilyas S. Kodirov – Master’s student

Ufa State Aviation Technical University, Ufa, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Gennady N. Aleshin – PhD (Physics and Mathematics)

Arseniy G. Raab – PhD (Eng.)

Nikolai K. Tsenev – PhD (Physics and Mathematics)

Ufa State Petroleum Technological University, Ufa, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Kozlov Е.V., Gromov V.E., Kovalenko V.V. et al. Gradientnye struktury v perlitnoy stali [Gradient structures in pearlitic steel]. Novokuznetsk: SibSIU, 2004, 224 p. (In Russ.)

2. Ivanov Yu.F., Kovalenko V.V., Kozlov E.V. et al. Gradientnye strukturno-fazovye sostoyaniya v stalyakh [Gradient structural and phase states in steels]. Novosibirsk: Nauka, 2006, 280 p. (In Russ.)

3. Kovalenko V.V., Kozlov E.V., Ivanov Yu.F. et al. Fizicheskaya priroda formirovaniya i evolyutsii gradientnykh strukturno-fazovykh sostoyaniy v stalyakh i splavakh [A physical nature of the formation and evolution of gradient structural and phase states in steels and alloys]. Novokuznetsk: LLC Poligrafist Publishing House, 2009, 557 p. (In Russ.)

4. Ivanov Yu.F., Efimov O.Yu., Kovalenko V.V. et al. Forming structural and phase states at a nanoscale level in mill rolls. Fundamentalnye problemy sovremennogo materialovedenia [Basic Problems of Material Science], 2008, no. 4, pp. 55–58. (In Russ.)

5. Lu K. Making strong nanomaterials ductile with gradients. Science 19 Sep 2014: vol. 345, no. 6203, pp. 1455–1456.

6. Fang T.H., Li W.L., Tao N.R., Lu K. Revealing extraordinary intrinsic tensile plasticity in gradient nano-grained copper. Science 25 Mar 2011: vol. 331, no. 6024, pp. 1587–1590.

7. Raab G.I., Simonova L.A., Aleshin G.N. Tailoring the gradient ultrafine-grained structure in low-carbon steel during drawing with shear. Metalurgija 55 (2016) 2, pp. 177–180.

8. Ivanov Yu.F., Kovalenko V.V., Ivakhin M.P. et al. A structural and phase gradient induced by fatigue testing in the conditions of intermediate electrostimulation. Fizicheskaya mezomekhanika [Physical mesomechanics], 2004, vol. 3, no. 7, pp. 29–34. (In Russ.)

9. Raab A.G., Chukin M.V., Aleshin G.N., Raab G.I. Investigation of a new shear deformation method for the production of nanostructures in low-carbon steel. 2014 IOP Conf. Ser.: Mater. Sci. Eng. 63 012008. doi:10.1088/1757-899X/63/1/012008

10. Raab G.I., Gunderov D.V., Shafigullin L.N., Podrezov Yu.M., Danylenko M.I., Tsenev N.K., Bakhtizin R.N., Aleshin G.N., Raab A.G. Structural variations in low-carbon steel under severe plastic deformation by drawing, free torsion, and drawing with shear. Materials Physics and Mechanics, 2015, no. 3, vol. 24, pp. 242–252.

11. Babich V.K., Gul Yu.P., Dolzhenkov I.E. Deformatsionnoe starenie stali [Dynamic strain aging]. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1972, 320 p. (In Russ.)

12. Popov K.V. Dinamicheskoe deformatsionnoe starenie i khrupkost vodorodnogo tipa [Dynamic strain aging and hydrogen embrittlement]. Moscow, 1979, 98 p. (In Russ.)

13. Aleshin G.N., Raab G.I., Kodirov I.S. Features of dynamic strain aging of low-carbon steels during severe plastic deformation processing. Key Engineering Materials, 2017, vol. 743, pp. 191–196.

14. Sorokin V.G., Volosnikova A.V., Vyatkin S.A. et al. Marochnik staley i splavov [Database of steels and alloys]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1989, 640 p. (In Russ.)

15. Chukin M.V., Raab A.G., Semenov V.I., Aslanyan I.R., Raab G.I. Applying full factorial experiment during drawing with shear. Vestnik MGTU im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of NMSTU], 2012, no. 4, pp. 33–37. (In Russ.)

16. Raab G.I., Raab A.G. Sposob polucheniya ultramelkozernistykh polufabrikatov volocheniem so sdvigom [Method for production of ultrafine-grained semi-finished products by drawing with shift]. Patent RF, no. 2347633, 2007.

17. Raab G.I., Raab A.G. Method of producing ultrafine- grained semi-finished products by drawing with shear. Izobretateli – mashinostroeniyu [Inventors for the machine building industry], 2011, no. 3, p. 4. (In Russ.)

18. Semenov V.I., Aleshin G.A., Raab A.G., Tontchev N., Kamburov V., Yankov E. Scheme of treatment and its effect on the strain heterogeneity and structural changes in billets of low-carbon steel. Materials Science. Non-Equilibrium Phase Transformations, vol. III/2017, pp. 87–91.

19. Valiev R.Z., Islamgaliev R.K., Alexandrov I.V. Bulk nanostructured materials from severe plastic deformation. Prog. Mater. Sci. 45 (2000), pp. 103–189.

20. Valiev R.Z., Zhilyaev A.P., Langdon T.G. Bulk nanostructured materials: fundamentals and applications. Wiley STM, USA 2014, p. 440.

21. Raab G.I., Podrezov Y.M., Aleshin G.N. Structure evolution during plastic deformation of low-carbon steel. Materials Science Forum, 2016, vol. 870, pp. 253–258.

22. Caillard D. Dynamic strain ageing in iron alloys: The shielding effect of carbon. Acta Materialia, 112 (2016), pp. 273–284.

23. Trusov P.V., Chechulina E.A. Discontinuous yielding: models based on physical theories of plasticity. Vestnik Permskogo natsionalnogo issledovatelskogo politekhnicheskogo universiteta. Mekhanika [Bulletin of Perm National Research Polytechnic University. Mechanics], 2017, no. 1, pp. 134–163. DOI: 10.15593/perm.mech/2017.1.09 (In Russ.)

24. Trusov P.V., Chechulina E.A. Discontinuous yielding: physical mechanisms, experimental data, macrophenomenological models. Vestnik Permskogo natsionalnogo issledovatelskogo politekhnicheskogo universiteta. Mekhanika [Bulletin of Perm National Research Polytechnic University. Mechanics], 2014, no. 3, pp. 186–232. DOI: 10.15593/perm.mech/2014.3.10 (In Russ.)

25. Danylenko N.I., Kovylayev V.V., Ponomaryov S.S., Firstov S.A. Cementite dissolution during surface severe plastic deformation. Lutsk: Inter-University Collection "NAUKOVY NOTATKI", 2009, pp. 69–72. (In Russ.)

26. Firstov S.O., Rogul T.H., Shut O.A. Transition from microstructures to nanostructures and ultimate hardening. Functional Materials, 2009, 16, no. 4, pp. 364–373.

27. Firstov S.O., Rohul T.H., Svechnikov V.I., Dub S.M. Concept of "useful" impurities and mechanical properties of nanostructured chromium and molybdenum films. Materials Science, 2006, 42 (1), pp. 121–126.