ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

Abstract

When designing the axial joint pressing process, a relevant issue is the process parameters which directly influence the nature of the deformation of the housing, and, ultimately, on the formation of an all-in-one connection of a ball stud with a joint housing. These parameters are press force, punch displacement and matrix geometry. The quality of the all-in-one connection depends on a correct selection of the indicated parameters. If the axial joint insert is compressed evenly, the connection will be considered to be the most rational, that is the load will be distributed uniformly over the entire insert surface from the spherical surfaces of the ball stud and the deformed housing. In this way, the press must provide necessary force and displacement; the matrix geometry must provide the required shape of the deformed part of the housing. The all-in-one connection quality is evaluated by a number of operational characteristics of finished products, whose values must be located in intervals acceptable from the customer's point of view. Such characteristics include the following: ball stud rocking resistance torque, breakaway torque at ball stud rocking, axial spring travel and axial stiffness of the joint. In order to determine the specified parameters without many experiments on physical objects, a computer simulation model of the axial joint pressing process based on the finite element method was developed. Required press force, punch displacement and matrix geometry are determined by a computer simulation of the pressing process based on the finite element method. The accomplished experimental research led to the conclusion about acceptable repeatability of the results of the developed mathematical model and experimental data.

Keywords

Axial joint, process operation, process parameters, matrix, punch, operational characteristics, finite element model, assembly line.

Evgeny I. Gun – PhD (Eng.), Deputy Technical Director of Design Development and Tests

AO NPO BelMag, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Alexander R. Vakhitov – graduate student, Lead Design Engineer

AO NPO BelMag, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Vitaly V. Salnikov – Deputy Technical Director

Igor G. Gun – DSc (Eng.), CEO

Jon Ortueta – President of LANBI, S.A., Elgoibar

Basque Country, Spain. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Agustin Anitua – Sales Manager of LANBI, S.A., Elgoibar

Basque Country, Spain. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Reimpell J. Shassi avtomobilya: Rulevoe upravlenie [Car chassis: Steering]. Translated from German by Palyanov V.N., ed. by Galbreikh A.A. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1987, 232 p. (In Russ.)

2. Gun I.G., Kalmykov Yu.V., Gun E.I., Artyukhin V.I., Vakhitov A.R. Sharovoi sharnir [Ball joint]. Patent RF, no. 185066, 2018.

3. Salnikov V.V., Mikhailovsky I.A., Gun I.G. Simulation of the destruction process of the suspension ball joint of the vehicle under axial loading. Zhurnal avtomobilnykh inzhenerov [Journal of Automotive Engineers], 2011, no. 2(67), pp. 51-53. (In Russ.)

4. Mikhailovsky I.A., Gun I.G., Salnikov V.V., Kutsependik V. I., Gun E. I. Estimated determination of the strength indicators of ball joints of the vehicle chassis elements by simulating a static test process. Zhurnal avtomobilnykh inzhenerov [Journal of Automotive Engineers], 2014, no. 2(85), pp. 20–24. (In Russ.)

5. Gun G.S., Rubin G.Sh., Chukin M.V., Gun I.G., Mezin I.Yu., Korchunov A.G. Metallurgy qualimetry theory design and development. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tehnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2003, no. 5, pp. 67–69. (In Russ.)

6. Gun G.S., Chukin M.V. Optimizatsiya protsessov tekhnologicheskogo i ekspluatatsionnogo deformirovaniya izdeliy s pokrytiyami [Optimization of technological and operational deformation processes of products with coatings]. Magnitogorsk: Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, 2006, 324 p. (In Russ.)

7. Mikhailovsky I.A., Gun I.G., Yasakov Yu.M., Lapchinsky V.V. Stend dlya ispytaniy sharovykh sharnirov [Stand for testing ball joints]. Patent RF, no 2263889, 2005.

8. Chukin M.V., Korchunov A.G., Bakshinov V.A., Baryshnikov M.P., Gun G.S., Dolgiy D.K., Efimova Yu.Yu., Kolokoltsev V.M., Koptseva N.V., Kuranov K.Yu., Lebedev V.N., Mezin I.Yu., Polyakova M.A., Chukin V.V. Proizvodstvo vysokoprochnoy stalnoy armatury dlya zhelezobetonnykh shpal novogo pokoleniya [Production of high-strength steel reinforcement for concrete sleepers of a new generation]. Magnitogorsk: Metallurgizdat, 2014, 276 p. (In Russ.)

9. Chukin M.V., Polyakova M.A., Rubin G.Sh., Koptseva N.V., Gun G.S. Prospects for the production of high-strength fasteners from blanks of carbon steel with an ultrafine-grained structure]. Kuznechno-shtampovochnoe proizvodstvo. Obrabotka materialov davleniem [Die Forging. Metal Forming], 2014, no. 1, pp. 39-44. (In Russ.)