ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

Abstract

In the global community, increasing attention is paid to alternative energy sources. The Peltier module is the simplest converter of thermal energy into electrical energy and vice versa. At this stage of development of industry, technology, electronics and microprocessor technologies, the Peltier thermoelectric elements are mainly used as heat pumps. Due to their simplicity, high reliability, small size, relatively low cost and other advantages, the Peltier thermoelectric modules are considered as obvious sources of electrical energy. The study was made to determine the possibility of using the Peltier thermoelectric modules in the qualitative conver-sion of thermal energy into electrical energy, as well as to establish the most efficient modes of operation of the Peltier elements as generators of electrical energy. In the course of the research, work was done aimed at creating a model, analyzing various static modes of power generation and studying the Peltier modules in the mode of an electric power generator. The operation modes of the elementary cell of the Peltier thermoelectric module were simulated in the ANSYS Workbench environment. The mathematical analysis of the simulation results was performed. The performance characteristics of the Peltier thermoelectric elements were determined, the results were processed. The conditions of maximum efficiency of conversion of thermal energy into electrical energy by the Peltier thermoelectric module were revealed. The optimal modes should be considered to be heating one of the sides of the Peltier module to a temperature close to the permissible value. The operation modes of thermoelectric elements were determined, the results were processed. A device based on the Peltier thermoelectric modules can be used as a portable accumulator battery charging device for gadgets and television and radio communication facilities.

Keywords

Peltier module, thermoelectric converter, alternative energy, heat and power engineering, thermal energy utilization, electric power industry.

Konstantin V. Romanov – master’s student

South Ural State University (National Research University), Chelyabinsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Alexander V. Motorin – master’s student

South Ural State University (National Research University), Chelyabinsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Evgeny V. Solomin – Professor

Anton A. Kovalyov – master’s student

Ilia I. Diachenko – master’s student

South Ural State University (National Research University), Chelyabinsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Rishat G. Galeev – master’s student

South Ural State University (National Research University), Chelyabinsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

1. Shostakovsky P.G. Thermoelectric sources of alternative power supply. Komponenty i tekhnologii [Components and Technologies], 2010, vol. 1, no. 12, pp. 131–138. (In Russ.)

2. GOST 6616-94 Thermoelectric converters. General specifications. Minsk, 1994. I, 15 p. (System of standards on information, library services, and publishing).

3. Shostakovsky P.G. Alternative sources of electrical energy for the industrial use based on thermoelectric generators. Control Engineering Russia, 2013, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 52–56. (In Russ.)

4. Lebedev Yu.P., Sidorkin A.F., Parmonik A.Yu. Evaluation of applicability and interchangeability of Peltier modules. Mezhdunarodnoe nauchnoe izdanie Sovremennye fundamentalnye i prikladnye issledovaniya [International scientific journal Modern Fundamental and Applied Research], 2011, vol.1, no. 1, pp. 26–28. (In Russ.)

5. Shostakovsky P.G. Thermoelectric generators for industrial applications. Part 2. Sovremennaya elektronika [Modern Electronics], 2016, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 2–5. (In Russ.)

6. Shostakovsky P.G. Modern solutions of thermoelectric cooling for radioelectronic, medical and household appliances. Part 2. Komponenty i tekhnologii [Components and Technologies], 2010, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 130–137. (In Russ.)

7. Sandalov V.M., Romanov K.V. Peltier module-based portable charger. Nauka YuUrGU [Science of SUSU] [Electronic resource], 2017, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 523–529. (In Russ.)

8. Andreev S.A., Sudnik Yu.A., Petrova E.A., Bessonov K.E., Bogachenkov A.G. Heating-cooking oven. Patent RF 138737, no. 2013141054/03, Bul. no. 8. (In Russ.)

9. Milkin V.I., Kalitenkov N.V., Korobko A.N. Electric generating heating and cooking device. Patent RF 98231, no. 2010114538/03, Bul. no. 28. (In Russ.)

10. Shostakovsky P.G. Thermoelectric generators for industrial applications. Part 1. Sovremennaya elektronika [Modern Electronics], 2016, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 2–7. (In Russ.)

11. Shostakovsky P.G. Modern solutions of thermoelectric cooling for radioelectronic, medical and household appliances. Part 1. Komponenty i tekhnologii [Components and Technologies], 2009, vol. 1, no. 12, pp. 40–46. (In Russ.)

12. Golovko D.B., Skripnik Yu.A., Mentkovskii Yu.L., Glazkov L.A., Khimicheva A.I. Method for measuring of Peltier-effect rate on electric circuit with dissimilar conductors and device which implements said method. Patent RU02124734, no.5041443/09, Bul. no. 2. (In Russ.)

13. Shostakovsky P.G. Modern thermoelectric power supplies for electronic devices. Komponenty i tekhnologii [Components and Technologies], 2015, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 14–19. (In Russ.)

14. Shtern Yu.I., Kozhevnikov Ya.S., Nikanorov M.D., Krikun E.A., Shtern M.Yu. Thermoelectric module. Patent RF 2007134625, no. 2364803, Bul. no. 23. (In Russ.)

15. Burshtein A.I. Fizicheskie osnovy rascheta termoelektricheskikh ustroystv [Physical basis for the calculation of thermoelectric devices]. Moscow: Fizmatlit, 1962, 136 p. (In Russ.)

16. Zhuikov A.O., Lushnikov I.L. Thermoelectric Peltier module and its application. Sovremennye problemy telekommunikatsiy: Mezhvuz. sb. nauchn. tr. [Modern problems of telecommunications: Interuniversity collection of research papers]. Novosibirsk: SibGUTI, 2016, vol. 1, pp. 578–582. (In Russ.)

17. Ivanov A.S., Prilepo Yu.P., Chernyshova T.I., Varlamov S.A. Monolithic generator thermoelectric battery. Patent RF 93584, no. 2009130652/22, Bul. no. 12. (In Russ.)

18. Dolgikh P.P., Ibragimov R.I. Prospects of application of thermoelectric installations for power supply to decentralized consumers. Epokha nauki [The Era of Science], 2016, vol. 1, no. 8, pp. 281–289. (In Russ.)

19. Ioffe A.F., Stilbans L.S., Iordanshvili E.K., Stavitskaya Т.S. Termoelektricheskoe okhlazhdenie [Thermoelectric cooling]. Moscow, Leningrad: Academy of Sciences of the USSR, 1956, 114 p. (In Russ.)

20. Shostakovsky P.G. Development of thermoelectric cooling systems and thermostating using the Kryotherm computer program. Komponenty i tekhnologii [Components and Technologies], 2010, vol. 1, no. 8, pp. 27-36. (In Russ.)

21. Shostakovsky P.G. Thermal control of objects based on thermoelectric assemblies. Komponenty i tekhnologii [Components and Technologies], 2011, vol. 1, no. 9, pp. 142–150. (In Russ.)