ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

Abstract

This article examines one of the promising gold ore areas of the Orenburg Urals region (the suture zone between the East Ural uplift and the Magnitogorsk trough), which has a developed gold-quartz and gold-sulfide-quartz formations in carbonaceous shales. The Kumak deposit is confined to a rift graben comprised of Ordovician carbon-terrigenous-carbonate and Lower Carboniferous deposits and containing 1 to 9 % of organic matter and 2 to 5% of sulfides. The authors established how the accumulations of carbonaceous particles are positioned to the suture zones of deep faults, which control an extended zone of the dyke belt experiencing quartz-sericite alteration, silicification and volcanism. The Kumak deposit falls under the category of gold ore deposits that, considering the depth of formation, the concentration of gold and other parameters, cannot offer economic feasibility when processed using conventional techniques. What would work well for such deposits is the in-situ leaching process, avoiding actual ore mining and other costly operations. Relevance: The drillhole in-situ leaching process can be successfully implemented at the Kumak deposit, enabling to develop gold deposits for which mechanical mining does not prove economically feasible. Ore-grade gold is confined to the fractured zones of metamorphosed shales and is unevenly disseminated localized as steeply inclined ore shoots, along which the leaching process is designed to take place. This technique is one of the most promising geotechnologies in gold mining and should be put into practice as soon as possible. Originality: Using the case study of the Kumak gold deposit, this paper reveals the potential industrial relevance of small deposits of the Orenburg region.

Keywords

East Ural uplift, Magnitogorsk trough, Orenburg Urals region, Kumak ore field, remaining reserves, black shale type, drillhole in-situ leaching, gold, New Orenburg stratum.

Petr V. Pankratiev – DSc (Geology & Minerology), Professor

Orenburg State University, Orenburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Aleksandra V. Kolomoets – Postgraduate Student

Orenburg State University, Orenburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Vasily S. Panteleev – Postgraduate Student

Orenburg State University, Orenburg, Russia.

1. Alikulov Sh.Sh., Nazhimov F.F. Analysing the applicability of the generic uranium in-situ leaching model to the natural conditions of the deposit. Gorny informatsionno-analiticheskiy byulleten [Mining bulletin], 2015, no. 3, pp. 67–74. (In Russ.)

2. Arianova A.B. On the current developments in drillhole in-situ leaching of gold. Uspekhi sovremennoy nauki i obrazovaniya [Progress in modern science and education], Tomsk, 2016, pp. 148–150. (In Russ.)

3. Buryak V.A., Mikhaylov B.K., Tsymbalyuk N.V. Genesis, localization patterns and potential gold and platinum bearing capacity of black shale strata. Rudy i metally [Ores and Metals], 2002, no. 6, pp. 25–36. (In Russ.)

4. Vidusov T.E., Kharkevich K.A., Zabolotsky A.I. and et al. Opytnye ispytaniya sposoba PV na zolotorudnom mestorozhdenii Gagarskom i otsenka vozdeystviya na okruzhayushchuyu sredu [Pilot testing of the in-situ leaching process at the Gagarsk gold deposit and assessment of the environmental impact]. Yekaterinburg, 1995. (In Russ.)

5. Golik V.I., Lukyanov V.G., Stradanchenko S.G., Maslennikov S.A. Parameters of in-situ leaching of metals supported by experiments. Izvestiya Tomskogo politekhnicheskogo universiteta. Inzhiniring georesursov [Proceedings of Tomsk Polytechnic University. Georesources engineering], 2015, pp. 90–97. (In Russ.)

6. Zabolsky V.K. Prospective application of the drillhole in-situ leaching process in mineral mining. Gornyi zhurnal [Mining journal], 1991, no. 7, pp. 48–52. (In Russ.)

7. Kolomoets A.V. On the development of remaining gold reserves and dumps around old gold mining sites (case study of the Kumaksk ore field). Materialy Chetvertoy Rossiyskoy molodezhnoy Shkoly s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem “Novoe v poznanii protsessov rudoobrazovaniya” [Proceedings of the Fourth Russian Youth Workshop with International Participation "New findings about mineralization processes"], Moscow, 2014, 160 p. (In Russ.)

8. Loshchinin V.P., Pankratiev P.V. Gold content of the Lower-Middle Paleozoic black shale formations of the Eastern Orenburg region. Strategiya i protsessy osvoeniya georesursov [Strategy of exploration and development of georesources]. Perm, 2006, pp. 79–82. (In Russ.)

9. Loshchinin V.P., Pankratiev P.V. On the gold content of the Middle Ordovician carbon-bearing terrigenous-siliceous deposits of the New Orenburg suite in the East Orenburg region. Metallogeniya drevnikh i sovremennykh okeanov [Metallogeny of ancient and modern oceans]. Miass, 2003, pp. 165–168. (In Russ.)

10. Novgorodova M.I., Yakobs E.I., Shinkarenko Yu.G. Gold mineralization and metasomatites of one of the regions in the Southern Urals. Voprosy petrologii i metallogenii Urala [Problems of petrology and metallogeny of the Urals region]. Sverdlovsk: The Urals Science Centre of the USSR Academy of Sciences, 1981, pp. 115–116. (In Russ.)

11. Sazonov V.N., Ogorodnikov V.N., Koroteev V.A., Polenov Yu.A. Mestorozhdeniya zolota Urala [Gold deposits of the Urals region]. Yekaterinburg, Ural State Academy of Mining and Geology, 1999, 570 p. (In Russ.)

12. Sazonov V.N., Koroteev V.A., Ogorodnikov V.N., Polenov Yu.A., Velikanov A.Ya. Gold in the "black shales" of the Urals region. Litosfera [Lithosphere], 2011, no. 4, pp. 70–92. (In Russ.)

13. Terovskaya T.S., Kesler A.G., Noskov M.D. In-situ leach mining of uranium and environmental safety. Izv. vuzov. Fizika [University proceedings. Physics], 2013, pp. 297–301. (In Russ.)

14. Chamberlin R.D. Heap and in-situ leaching of gold and silver. Gold Forum on Technology and Practices. World Gold. 89. Littleton, Colorado. 1989, pp. 225–232.

15. Khan I.S., Pankratiev P.V., Olkhova A.I. On the prospective application of heap leaching for mining metallic minerals in the Orenburg region. Materialy vserossiyskoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii [Proceedings of the national science conference]. Orenburg: OSU, 2010, pp. 1495–1500. (In Russ.)

16. Fazlullin M.I., Avdonin G.I., Smirnova R.N. Prospects of drillhole in-situ leaching of gold in Russia. Tsvetnye metally [Non-ferrous metals], 2002, no. 10, pp. 39–46. (In Russ.)

17. Kerrich R., Goldfard R.J., Groves D.I., Garwin S., Jia Y. The characteristics, origin and geodynamic settings of super- Collection of geology proceedings no. 11. Giant gold metallogenic provinces. Science in China. 2000, vol. 43, pp. 1–68.

18. Golik V.I., Hasheva Z.M., Galachieva S.V. Diversification of the economic foundations of depressive mining region. Medwell Journals. The Social Sciences. 2015, no. 10 (5), pp. 678–681.

19. Johnson T.W. , Hofer W.B., Mendez M.A. Carlin-type Gold Deposits and Current Mining Activities at Jerritt Canyon, Elko County, Nevada. Geological-Society-of-Nevada's Symposium – New Concepts and Discoveries. 2015, pp. 483–513.

20. Schafer, W .Geochemical Evaluation of Cemented Paste Tailings in a Flooded Underground Mine/ Annual Meeting of the International-Mine-Water-Association (IMWA). 2016, pp. 714–724.

21. Haque N., Norgate T. The greenhouse gas footprint of in-situ leaching of uranium, gold and copper in Australia. Journal of Cleaner Production 2014:84:382–390. doi:10.1016/j.jclepro.2013.09.033

22. Schafer, W. Geochemical Evaluation of Cemented Paste Tailings in a Flooded Underground Mine. Annual Meeting of the International-Mine-Water-Association (IMWA) GERMANY публ.: JUL 11–15, 2016.