ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

Abstract

Al-Mg alloys serve as base alloys for the development of advanced alloys used in various aggressive environments. Search for ways to increase the corrosion resistance of aluminium-magnesium alloys and the existing methods are of scientific and practical interest. Rare earth metals (REM) find their practical application in the production of various materials. In this case, they can act as both alloying and basic components. The benefits of using REMs as additives to the materials include increased strength, a broader application scope in terms of temperature, and a range of fresh useful properties. For example, the addition of REMs to duralumin alloys results in their increased electrical resistivity and operating temperature threshold. This work looked at the corrosion and electrochemical behavior of the AMg6-Ce (Pr, Nd) alloy in the NaCl electrolyte by applying a potentiostatic method at the potential sweep rate of 2 mV/s. It is shown that due to the addition of REMs the corrosion rate of the bearing alloy is reduced approximately 1.5 times depending on the electrolyte concentration. The reduction in the corrosion rate is associated with the passivation process.

Keywords

AMg6 alloy, cerium, praseodymium, neodymium, potentiostatic method, free corrosion potential, corrosion potential, pitting potential, corrosion rate, NaCl electrolyte.

Muattar T. Norova – PhD (Chem.), senior research fellow

The Laboratory of Corrosion Resistant Materials, Nikitin Institute of Chemistry of the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Tajikistan, Dushanbe, Republic of Tajikistan. E-mail:This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Nazir Sh. Vazirov – Assistant Professor

The Chair of Materials Engineering, Metallurgical Machines and Equipment, Osimi Tajik Technical University, Dushanbe, Republic of Tajikistan. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Izatullo N. Ganiev – Academician at the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Tajikistan, D.Sc. (Chem.), Professor, Head of the Laboratory of Corrosion Resistant Materials

Nikitin Institute of Chemistry of the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Tajikistan, Dushanbe, Republic of Tajikistan. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Menan F., Henaff G. Synergistic action of fatigue and corrosion during crack growth in the 2024 aluminium alloy. Procedia Engineering. Elsevier. 2010. Vol. 2. No. 1. P. 1441–1450.

2. Chlistovsky R., Heffeman Р., Duquesnay D. Corrosion-fatigue behaviour of 7075-T651 aluminum alloy subjected to periodic overloads. Internat. J. of Fatigue. 2007. Vol. 29. No. 9–11. P. 1941–1949.

3. Jones K., Hoeppner D. W. Prior corrosion and fatigue of 2024-T3 aluminum alloy. Corros. Sci. 2006. Vol. 48. No. 10, P. 3109–3122.

4. Spencer K., Corbin S. F., Lloyd D. J. The influence of iron content of the plain strain fracture behavior of AA5754 Al-Mg sheet alloys. Mater. Sci. Eng. 2002. Vol. A 325. No. 1–2. P. 394–404.

5. Kechin V., Kireev A. Influences of gas content on corrosion and electrochemical characteristics of aluminium alloys. 22nd International Conf. on Metallurgy and Materials May 15–17th 2013 Hotel Voronez I, Brno, Czech Republic, EU.

6. Min-Kyong Chung, Yoon-Seok Choi, Jung-Gu Kima, Young-Man Kimb, Jae-Chul Lee. Effect of the number of ECAP pass time on the electrochemical properties of 1050 Al alloys. Materials Science and Engineering A366. 2004. Р. 282–291.

7. Song Dan, Ma Ai-bin, Jiang Jing-hua, Lin Pin-hua, Yang Dong-hui. Corrosion behavior of ultra-fine grained industrial pure Al fabricated by ECAP. Trans. Nonferrous Met. Soc. China. 2009. Vol. 19. P. 1065–1070.

8. Murashkin M., Sabirov I., Kazykhanov V., Bobruk E., Dubravina A., Valiev R. Z. Enhanced mechanical properties and electrical conductivity in ultra-fine grained Al alloy processed via ECAP-PC. J. Mater. Sci. 2013. Vol. 48. Iss. 13. Р. 4501–4509.

9. Sauvage X., Bobruk E. V., Murashkin M. Yu., Nasedkina Y., Enikeev N. A., Valiev R. Z. Optimization of electrical conductivity and strength combination by structure design at the nanoscale in Al-Mg-Si alloys. Acta Materialia. 2015. Vol. 98. Р. 355–366.

10. Chunming Su., Suarez Donald L. In situ infrared speciation of adsorbed carbonate on aluminum and iron oxides. Clays and Minerals. 1997. Vol. 45. No. 6. P. 814–825.

11. Napalkov V.I., Makhov S.V. Legirovanie i modifitsirovanie aluminiya i magniya [Alloying and inoculation of aluminium and magnesium]. Мoscow: MISiS, 2002, 374 p. (In Russ.)

12. Napalkov V.I., Makhov S.V. Legirovanie i modificirovanie aluminiya i magniya aluminium-guide.ru 2013–2017.

13. Fridlyander I.N. Alyuminievye deformiruemye konstruktsionnye splavy [Wrought aluminium alloys for structural applications]. Мoscow: Metallurgiya, 1979, 208 p. (In Russ.)

14. Borisoglebsky Yu.V., Galevsky G.V., Kulagin N.M. et al. Metallurgiya alyuminiya [Aluminium metallurgy]. Novosibirsk: Nauka, Firma RAN, 1999, 438 p. (In Russ.)

15. Norova М.Т., Ganiev I.N., Nazarov Kh.М. Enhancing the corrosion resistance of aluminium-lithium alloys by microalloying with calcium. ZhPKh [Journal of applied chemistry], 2003, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 567–569. (In Russ.)

16. Nazarov Sh.А., Ganiev I.N., Norova М.Т., Ganieva N.I., Irene C. The effect of lanthanum on the anodic behaviour of the Al+6%Li alloy. Obrabotka sploshnykh i sloistykh materialov [Processing of solid and lamenated materials], 2016, no. 1 (44), pp. 49–53. (In Russ.)

17. Norova М.Т., Ganiev I.N., Ganieva N.I. Korroziya alyuminievo-litievykh splavov s shchelochnozemelnymi metallami [The corrosion of aluminium-lithium alloys with alkaline earth metals]. Germany, LAPLAMBERT Academic Publishing, 2012, 93 p.

18. Makhsudova M.S., Norova М.Т., Ganiev I.N. A potentiodynamic study of the Al+0,05%Sr alloy doped with magnesium in the NaCl electrolyte. Doklady Akademii nauk Respubliki Tadzhikistan [Proceedings of the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Tajikistan]. Dushanbe, 2007, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 621–626.

19. Vazirov N.Sh., Ganiev I.N., Norova М.Т., Makhsudova M.S. The corrosion and electrochemical behaviour of the AMg6 alloy doped with cerium. Izvestiya Akademii nauk Respubliki Tadzhikistan. Otdelenie fiziko-matematicheskikh, khimicheskikh, geologicheskikh i tekhnicheskikh nauk [Bulletin of the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Tajikistan. Department of physics and mathematics, chemistry, geology and engineering], 2013, no. 3 (152), pp. 91–97.

20. Semenchenko V.K. Poverkhnostnye yavleniya v metallakh i splavakh [Surface phenomena in metals and alloys]. Мoscow: Publishing house for scientific literature, 1956, 135 p. (In Russ.)

21. Ganiev I.N., Parkhutin G.A., Vakhobov A.V., Kupriyanova I.Yu. Modifitsirovanie siluminov strontsiem [Inoculation of silumins with strontium]. Minsk: Nauka i tekhnika, 1985, 143 p.

22. Maltsev M.V. Modifitsirovanie struktury metallov i splavov [Modifying the structure in metals and alloys]. Мoscow: Metallurgiya, 1984, 280 p. (In Russ.)