ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance): Within the framework of a comprehensive project to create a hi-tech production process, which is carried out by the Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical Uni-versity in cooperation with the Magnitogorsk Iron and Steel Works and funded by the Russian Min-istry of Education and Science, work is being carried out to develop a prototype process to produce ultra cold-resistant nanostructured steel sheets that could substitute the imported materials, includ-ing cryogenic materials designed for application in critically low temperatures, highly aggressive environments and in the Arctic. The use of special simulation equipment, the property of the Ther-modeform-NMSTU research centre and the Institute of Nanosteel, secures successful implementa-tion of the project. With the help of the above facilities one can experiment with different produc-tion processes in order to find the way to yield new cold-resistant steels and steel sheets with import substitution in mind. Objectives: The objective of this research is to understand the effect of a mul-ti-stage heat treatment process on the microstructure of steel sheets made of cryogenic structural steel with high cold resistance. Methods Applied: Using the capabilities of the Thermodeform-NMSTU laboratory complex, ingots were produced with given chemical compositions, which were hot-rolled and heat-treated under various modes. The following metallography equipment was used: the Meiji optical microscope with the Thixomet PRO image analyzer and the JSM 6490 LV scan-ning electron microscope. Differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) was performed on the Iupiter 449 F3 synchronous thermal analyzer. A Buchler Mikromet microhardness meter was used for hardness tests as per GOST 9450-60, which calls for the use of a pyramid indenter with a 136° angle between opposite faces. Findings: The critical temperatures (points) of the 0Н9А (9% Ni) steel were determined, which appeared to be lower in comparison with traditional carbon steels. They were found to be as follows: Ac1 ≈ 624°С and Аc3 ≈ 720°С. It was found that, following double hardening, austenite was enriched with alloying elements, which caused an additional decrease in the point Ac1 by 20°C. The effect of single and double hardening and the following high-temperature tempering (at 500, 550, 600°C) was studied on the alloy and its microstructure. After simple hardening followed by tempering within the studied temperature range, a structure is formed consisting of tempered martensite, residual austenite, α-phase and carbide particles, which precipitate predominantly at the grain boundaries leading to embrittlement. This is confirmed by fractorgraphic studies. After double hardening followed by tempering within the specified tempera-ture range, a disperse lamellar duplex structure is formed consisting of an α-phase, a “new” marten-site, a tempered martensite, and a residual stable austenite with the volume fraction of about 4%, which ensures fracture toughness at cryogenic temperatures. Practical Relevance: The established regularities are of interest not only because they give a general understanding of the structural pro-cesses in ferritic nickel steels but also in terms of the relationship between the duplex structures ob-tained and the fracture mechanisms affecting the target alloys at cryogenic temperatures. Such al-loys are used to make tanks for liquified gas. Using the new scientific data obtained one can devel-op new and improve the existing heat treatment modes applicable to the specified alloys.

Keywords

Sheet steel, cryogenic structural steel, simple hardening, double hardening, multi-stage heat treatment, tempering, cold resistance, hardness.

Pavel P. Poletskov – DSc (Eng.), Professor

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Sergey V. Denisov – DSc (Eng.), Professor

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Olga A. Nikitenko – PhD (Eng.), research fellow

Marina S. Gushchina – postgraduate student

Pavel A. Stekanov – research fellow,

1. Poletskov P.P., Khakimullin K., Nabatchikov D.G. et al. The purpose and application of ultra cold-resistant nanostructured steel sheets. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2017, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 85–88. (In Russ.)

2. Seok Su Sohn, Seokmin Hong, Junghoon Lee Effects of Mn and Al contents on cryogenic-temperature tensile and Charpy impact properties in four austenitic high-Mn steels. Acta Materialia, 2015, vol. 100, pp. 39–52.

3. Lu Y.Q., Hui H. Investigation on Mechanical Behaviors of Cold Stretched and Cryogenic Stretched Austenitic Stainless Steel Pressure Vessels. Procedia Engineering, 2015, vol. 130, pp. 628–637.

4. Kablov E.N., Lebedev M.P., Startsev O.V. et al. Climatic testing of materials, structural elements, machinery and equipment in extremely low temperatures. Trudy VI evrazijskogo simpoziuma po problemam prochnosti materialov i mashin dlya regionov kholodnogo klimata Eurastrencold 2013 [Proceedings of the VI Eurasian Symposium on the Strength of Materials and Machines for Cold Regions Eurastrencold 2013]. Yakutsk, 2013, pp. 5–7. (In Russ.)

5. Chukin M.V., Poletskov P.P., Nabatchikov D.G. et al. Analysis of technical requirements for ultra-cold-resistant sheet metal. Vestnik Yuzhno-Uralskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya: Metallurgiya [Bulletin of the South Ural State University. Series: Metallurgy], 2017, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 52–60. (In Russ.)

6. Crismaru I.V., Dragomir-Stanciu D., Atanasiu M.V. The Behavior of a 1.4301 Stainless Steel Subjected to Cryogenic Temperatures. Procedia Technology, 2015, vol. 19, pp. 247–253.

7. Lu, Y.Q. Investigation on Mechanical Behaviors of Cold Stretched and Cryogenic Stretched Austenitic Stainless Steel Pressure Vessels. Procedia Engineering, 2015, vol. 130, pp. 628–637.

8. Matrosov M.Yu., Zikeev V.N., Martynov P.G. et al. Development of promising cryogenic steels for gas carriers and stationary LNG storage tanks intended for use in the Arctic. Arktika: ekologiya i ekonomika [The Arctic: Ecology and Economy], 2016, no. 4, pp. 80–89. (In Russ.)

9. Gorynin I.V., Legostaev Yu. L., Osokin E.P. Problems of sea transportation of liquefied natural gas: Materials for tanks used on gas carrier vessels. Sudostroenie [Shipbuilding], 2009. no. 5, pp. 32–40. (In Russ.)

10. Lavrenchenko G.K., Kopytin A.V. Cryogenic complexes for the production and shipment of LNG, its reception, storage and regasification in international trade. Tekhnicheskie gazy [Technical gases], 2010, no. 3, pp. 2–19. (In Russ.)

11. Smith L., Craig B. Properties of Metallic Materials for LNG Service: Paper 57. Presented at 9th MECC, Bahrain, Febr. 12–14th 2001. http://www.intetech.com/images/downloads/ Paper57.pdf.

12. Zubchenko A.S., Koloskov M.M., Kashirsky Yu.V. et al. Marochnik stalej i splavov [Steels and alloy grade guide]. Ed. by A.S. Zubchenko. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 2003, 784 p. (In Russ.)

13. ASTM A553/A553M/ Standard Specification for Pressure Vessel Plates. Alloy Steel Quenched and Tempered 7, 8 and 9% Ni // STANDARD by ASTM International. 2014.

14. BS EN 10028-4:2017 Flat products made of steels for pressure purposes. Nickel alloy steels with specified low temperature properties.

15. Golovanenko S.A., Fontstein N.M. Dvukhfaznye nizkolegirovannye stali [Two-phase low-alloy steels]. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1984, 206 p. (In Russ.)

16. Gorynin I.V, Khlusova E.I. Nanostructured steels for the development of deposits offshore the Arctic Ocean. Vestnik RAN [Bulletin of the Russian Academy of Sciences], 2010, no. 12, pp. 1069–1075.

17. Pickering F.B. Fizicheskoe metallovedenie i razrabotka stalej [Physical metallurgy and the design of steels]. Transl. from English. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1982, 183 p.

18. Sharov B.P., Zikeev V.N., Gladshtein L.I. Svojstva stali 0N9 dlya kriogennoj tekhniki [Properties of 0H9 steel for cryogenic technology]. Stal’ [Steel], 1988. no. 3, pp. 76–78. (In Russ.)

19. Konopleva E.V., Entie R.I., Bayazitov V.M. et al. Thermocyclic treatment of low-carbon steels with quenching from the intercritical temperature range. Metallovedenie i termicheskaya obrabotka metallov [Metallurgy and heat treatment of metals], 1988, no.8. (In Russ.)

20. Salganik V.M., Poletskov P.P., Artamonova M.O. et al. Thermodeform, research and production complex for the creation of new technologies. Stal’ [Steel], 2014, no. 4, pp. 104–107. (In Russ.)

21. Kogan, Matrokhina E.F., Entin R.I. Effect of austenitization in the intercritical temperature range on the structure and properties of low-carbon steels. Fizika metallov i metallovedenie [Physics of Metals and Metallurgy], 1981, vol. 52, no. 5. (In Russ.)

22. Koptseva N.V., Chukin M.V., Nikitenko O.A. Use of the Thixomet pro software for quantitative analysis of the ultrafine-grain structure of low- and medium-carbon steels subjected to equal channel angular pressing. Metal Science and Heat Treatment. 2012. no. 7–8, pp. 387–392.

23. Shchastlivtsev V.M., Koptseva N.V., Artemova T.V. Electron microscopical study of the structure of martensite in low-carbon iron alloys. Fizika metallov i metallovedenie [Physics of metals and metallurgy], 1976, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 1251–1260. (In Russ.)

24. Sadovsky V.D., Chuprakova N.P. Vliyanie termicheskoj obrabotki na kolichestvo ostatochnogo austenita i raspad ego pri otpuske v konstrukcionnykh khromonikelevykh stalyakh [The effect of heat treatment on the amount of residual austenite and its decay during tempering in structural chromium-nickel steels]. Tr. UF AN SSSR [Proceedings of the Ufa branch of the USSR Academy of Sciences]. Moscow; Leningrad: Publishing House of the USSR Academy of Sciences, 1941, no. 10, pp. 139–151. (In Russ.)

25. Kaletin A.Yu. Vliyanie ostatochnogo austenita na strukturu i svojstva konstrukcionnykh stalej posle vysokogo otpuska. Diss. kand. tekhn. nauk. [Effect of residual austenite on the structure and properties of structural steels after high-temperature tempering. PhD dissertation]. Sverdlovsk, 1985, 199 p. (In Russ.)

26. J.M. Zhang, H. Li, F. Yang, Q. Chi, L.K. Ji, Y.R. Feng. Effect of Heat Treatment Process on Mechanical Properties and Microstructure of a 9% Ni Steel for Large LNG Storage Tanks. Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, December, 2013, vol. 22(12), pp. 3867–3871.

27. Stratman P., Hornbogen E. Mechanical properties of two-phase duplex and dispersed structures of nickel steels. Chernye metally [Ferrous metals], 1979, no. 12, pp. 35–40.

28. Nippes E. F., Balaguer J. P. A Study of the Weld Heat-Affected Zone Toughness of 9% Nickel Steel. Welding research supplement. 1986, рр. 237–243.

29. Erin Barrick. Fundamental Studies of Phase Transformations and Mechanical Properties in the Heat Affected Zone of 10 wt% Nickel Steel. A Thesis Presented to the Graduate and Research Committee of Lehigh University in Candidacy for the Degree of Master of Science, 2016, 134 p.

30. Chukin M.V., Korchunov A.G., Bakshinov V.A. et al. Proizvodstvo vysokoprochnoj stal'noj armatury dlja zhelezobetonnykh shpal novogo pokolenija: monografija [Manufacture of high-strength steel reinforcement for new generation concrete sleepers: monograph]. Magnitogorsk: Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, 2014, 276 p. (In Russ.)

31. Chukin M.V., Polyakova M.A., Rubin G.Sh. et al. Perspektivy proizvodstva vysokoprochnogo krepezha iz zagotovok iz uglerodistykh stalej s ultramelkozernistoj strukturoj [Prospects for the production of high-strength fasteners from carbon steels with ultrafine-grain structure]. Kuznechno-shtampovochnoe proizvodstvo. Obrabotka materialov davleniem. [Forging and stamping industry. Metal forming], 2014, no. 1, pp. 39–44. (In Russ.)

32. Gun G.S., Chukin M.V. Optimizatsija protsessov tekhnologicheskogo i ekspluatatsionnogo deformirovanija izdelij s pokrytijami: monografija [Optimization of production and operational deformation of coated products: monograph]. Magnitogorsk: Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, 2006, 323 p. (In Russ.)

33. Gun G.S., Rubin G.Sh., Chukin M.V. et al. Formulating and developing a metallurgical qualimetry theory. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tehnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitigorsk State Technical University], 2003, no. 3, p. 67. (In Russ.)

34. Gun G.S., Pudov E.A., Ivanova L.B. Optimization of metal forming processes using a comprehensive quality criterion. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedenij. Chernaya metallurgiya [Proceedings of Russian universities. Ferrous metallurgy], 1986, no. 12, p. 47. (In Russ.)