ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance): This paper describes the main scientific and practical results of a study into enhancement of the geodynamic safety in the underground mining of complex structure deposits achieved through the application of stress monitoring and forecasting data on the rock mass with various rock pressure dynamics, as well as through certain preventive measures, including the prevention of rock bumps. Using the example of complex structure deposits of Ukraine, the physical properties of rock were analyzed, as well as some new rock pressure hypotheses, taking into account the outcrop stability analysis, the deformation and failure patterns, the time and space correlation of ore and rock excavation, and the parameter definition in terms of the structural elements of the development systems. Objectives: This research aims to increase the geodynamic safety in the underground mining of complex structure deposits through the application of stress monitoring and forecasting data on the rock mass with various rock pressure dynamics, as well as through certain preventive measures, including the prevention of rock bumps. Methods Applied: Improved techniques of underground investigations, laboratory and experimental research and mathematical and physical modeling were applied, as well as established and novel methods of theoretical analysis and summarization. Originality: The original features of this research include an established parabolic dependence of the stress coefficient in the chamber walls on the sides of the stripped area (y) on the ratio of its length to its width (x): y = a ∙ x2 + bx (where a and b are coefficients that depend on the geomechanical properties of the rock mass). Findings: The article gives a classification of the stress state of the rock mass according to its rock-bump hazard degree. Thus, an area with η ≤ 0.2 is considered safe; 0.2 <η ≤ 0.3 refers to the third class of rock-bump hazard, 0.3 <η ≤ 0.5 – to the second class, and η> 0.5 – to the first class correspondingly. Practical Relevance: This research provided initial data for the design of underground development system applicable to complex structure deposits depending on the orientation of maximum stresses relative to the mine.

Keywords

Complex structure deposits, underground development, geomechanical safety, rock pressure, rock-bump hazard.

Oleg E. Khomenko – DSc (Eng.), Professor

National Technical University «Dnieprovska Politekhnika», Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, Dnieper, Ukraine. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Vasily I. Lyashenko – PhD (Eng.), Senior researcher

Ukrainian Research and Design Institute for Industrial Technology, Zhovti Vody, Ukraine. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Khomenko O.Ye. Implementation of energy method in study of zonal disintegration of rocks // Naukovyi Visnyk Natsionalnoho Hirnychoho Universytetu, 2012, no. 4, pp. 44–54.

2. Potvin Y., Wesseloo J. Towards an understanding of dynamic demand on ground support, Journal of the Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, 2013, vol. 113, no. 12, pp. 913–922.

3. Bucher R., Cala M., Zimmermann A., Balg C., Roth A. Large scale field tests of high?tensile steel wire mesh in combination with dynamic rock bolts subjected to rock burst loading, 7th Int. Symp. on Ground Support in Mining and Underground construction, Perth, Australia, 2013, 13–15 May, pp. 345–370.

4. Balg C., Roduner A. Geobrugg AG: ground support applications, Int. Ground Support Conf., AGH University, Lungern, Switzerland, 2013, 11–13 September, pp. 311–320.

5. Protodyakonov M.M. Davlenie gornykh porod i rudnichnoe kreplenie. Ch.1. Davlenie gornykh porod. 3-e izd. M.-L. [Rock pressure and ground support. Part 1. Rock pressure. 3rd ed. Moscow, Leningrad, Novosibirsk: GNTI, 1933, 127 p. (In Russ.)

6. Muskhelishvili N.I. Nekotorye osnovnye zadachi matematicheskoy teorii uprugosti [Some basic problems of the mathematical theory of elasticity]. Moscow: Nauka, 1966, 532 p. (In Russ.)

7. Borisov A.A. Mekhanika gornykh porod [Rocks mechanics]. Moscow: Nedra, 1980, 359 p. (In Russ.)

8. Tsygalov M.N. Podzemnaya razrabotka s vysokoy polnotoy izvlecheniya rud [Underground mining with high ore recovery]. Moscow: Nedra, 1985, 272 p. (In Russ.)

9. Sleptsov M.N., Azimov R.Sh., Mosinets V.N. Podzemnaya razrabotka mestorozhdeniy tsvetnykh i redkikh metallov [Underground mining of non-ferrous and rare metal deposits]. Moscow: Nedra, 1986, 206 p. (In Russ.)

10. Paliy V.D., Smelyansky E.S., Kravchenko V.G. Identifying the standard strength of the solid stowing. Gornyi zhurnal [Mining journal], 1989, no. 3, pp. 25–28. (In Russ.)

11. Dobycha i pererabotka uranovykh rud. Monografiya. Pod obshchey redaktsiey A.P. Chernova [Mining and processing of uranium ores. Monograph. Ed. by A.P. Chernov]. Kiev: Adef-Ukraine, 2001, 238 p.

12. Chistyakov E.P. Improving the ground support techniques at the underground mines of the Krivoy Rog basin. Вісник Криворізького технічного університету [Bulletin of the Kryvoy Rog Technical University], 2006, no. 13, pp. 16–20.

13. Lyashenko V.I., Tkachenko A.A., Chistyakov E.P. The scientific and technical basis for determining the geomechanical characteristics of rock masses in the underground mining of uranium deposits. Metallurgicheskaya i gornorudnaya promyshlennost’ [Metallurgical and mining industry], 2006, no. 1, pp. 85–89. (In Russ.)

14. Mining safety: Federal HSE norms and regulations: Ratified by the Order of the Federal Environmental, Industrial and Nuclear Supervision Service of Russia no. 599 dated 11 December 2013, Series 03, Issue 78. Moscow: Science and Technology Centre Industrial Safety, 2014. 276 p. (In Russ.)

15. Lyashenko V.I. Development of geomechanical monitoring of the properties and the state of a rock mass in the underground mining of complex structure deposits. Markshreydersky vestnik [Surveyor bulletin], 2016, no. 1, pp. 35–43. (In Russ.)

16. Khomenko O.E., Lyashenko V.I. Geoenergy in the underground mining of ore. Izvestiya vuzov. Gornyi zhurnal [Proceedings of Russian universities. Mining journal], 2017, no. 8, pp. 10–18. (In Russ.)