ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

Abstract

The mining industry is facing certain problems that hamper its development. Thanks to the research efforts taken, certain improvements were implemented to the fuel combustion processes and the fuel efficiency of diesel engines used in mine dump trucks. Nevertheless, up to 30% of the fuel is wasted because the resultant energy gets dissipated in the surrounding space. The environmental requirements substantially confine the scope of sustainable use of trucks and demand that cleaner and more efficient vehicles were adopted. Another issue evinced itself to add to the environmental issues faced by mining companies, and that is continuously rising fuel prices. Therefore, achieving a significant reduction in fuel consumption by mine dump trucks appears to pose an increasingly pressing problem. One way to increase energy efficiency of open mining operations can be the adoption of electricity driven vehicles. Compared with diesel engines, electric drives have a longer record in the history of mining industry. The renewed interest to trolley trucks can be explained, first and foremost, by the reduced consumption of diesel fuel by mine dump trucks. Apart from the obvious reduction of fuel costs, additional advantages were obtained thanks to advanced technology. The main reason why trolley trucks and diesel-trolley trucks failed to find practical application in open pit mining is that it was basically an attempt to replace the regular diesel dump trucks with diesel-trolley trucks. All benefits delivered by trolley trucks combined help reduce the ore transportation costs by 15% to 20% and eliminate pollution and fumes. The biggest drawback of a trolley truck is its dependence on the power from the trolley line. Thanks to advanced technology of today, most of the disadvantages of a trolley truck can be eliminated without much effort. Trolley trucks could be a good option for the mining sites located in the areas with a considerable gap between the cost of diesel fuel and the cost of electricity. As the trolley lines require proper care and maintenance, it is recommended that trolley trucks are only used on mining site with an extended life. The payback period may be one to two years.

Keywords

Electric mining truck, energy saving, quarry, dump truck, ecology.

Mark L. Khazin – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor

Ural State Mining University, Yekaterinburg, Russia.

Sergey O. Shtykov – Bachelor’s Student

Ural State Mining University, Yekaterinburg, Russia.

1. Potapov M.G. Areas of development for truck haulage. Gornyi informatsionno-analitichesky byulleten (nauchno-tekhnichesky zhurnal) [Mining bulletin (scientific journal)]. 1996, no. 1. (In Russ.)

2. Potapov M.G. Areas of development for truck haulage. Gornaya promyshlennost [Mining industry]. 2002, no. 6. (In Russ.)

3. Sheshko O.E. Feasibility study looking at ecological and economic benefits of reduced environmental impact of haulage trucks. Gornyi informatsionno-analitichesky byulleten (nauchno-tekhnichesky zhurnal) [Mining bulletin (scientific journal)]. 2017, no. 2, pp. 241-252. (In Russ.)

4. Sheshko O.E. Ecological and Economic Analysis of New Generation Haulage Trucks. Gornye nauki i tekhnologii [Mining sciences and technologies]. 2013, no. 12, pp. 281-288. (In Russ.)

5. Pronk A., Coble J., Stewart P.A. Occupational exposure to diesel engine exhaust: a literature review. Journal of exposure science and environmental epidemiology. 2009, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 443-457.

6. Attfield M.D. Schleif P.L., Lubin J.H., et al. The diesel exhaust in miners study: a cohort mortality study with emphasis on lung cancer. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 2012, vol. 104, no. 11, pp. 869-883.

7. Nessim W., Zhang F.J, Zhao C.L. Optimizing operational performance of diesel mining truck using thermal management. Advanced Materials Research. Trans Tech Publications, 2013, vol. 813, pp. 273-277.

8. Feng Y., Dong Z., Yang J. Performance modeling and cost-benefit analysis of hybrid electric mining trucks. Mechatronic and Embedded Systems and Applications (MESA), 2016 12th IEEE/ASME International Conference on. IEEE, 2016, pp. 1-6.

9. Minakova T.E. Energy saving as a system process. Nauka-rastudent.ru. 2015, no. 08(20). Available at: http://nauka-rastudent.ru/20/2858/

10. Mazumdar J. All electric operation of ultraclass mining haul trucks. Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting, 2013 IEEE. IEEE, 2013, pp. 1-5.

11. Galkin V.I., Sheshko E.E. The problems of improving transport systems in the mining industry of Russia. Gornyi informatsionno-analitichesky byulleten (nauchno-tekhnichesky zhurnal) [Mining bulletin (scientific journal)]. 2011, no. 1, pp. 485-507. (In Russ.)

12. Varaschin J., De Souza E. Economics of diesel fleet replacement by electric mining equipment. 15th North American Mine Ventilation Symposium, 2015.

13. Nurić S., Nurić A., Brčaninović M. Haulage solutions with trolley assist diesel-electric ac trucks on the pit mine RMU Banovici. Journal of Mining and Metallurgy A: Mining. 2009, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 78-87

14. Tarasov P.I., Tarasov A.P. Technical features and prospects of using trolley trucks on mining sites. Gornaya promyshlennost [Mining industry]. 2008, no. 1, pp. 54-62. (In Russ.)

15. Stepuk O.G., Zuyenok A.S. BELAZ diesel-trolley transport: The prospects of use in mining. Gorny zhurnal [Journal of Mining]. 2013, no. 1, pp. 52-55. (In Russ.)

16. Uno K., Imaie K., Maekawa K., Smith G., Suyama A., Hatori J. Development of mining machinery and future outlook for electrification. Hitachi Review. 2013, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 99-106.