ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

Abstract

Relevance and Objectives. This article looks at the important problem of reinforcing the non-ferrous metallurgy mineral base, which was weakened in the post-reform period, through the introduction in the production process of primarily non-ferrous metal ores that cannot be processed using conventional technology. Methods Applied. The methods applied include an analysis of the possibility to make use of non-active resources in the underground mining of metal ores using a combination of processes, which also include some conventional techniques, such as retrospective understanding of advanced practices from the uranium industry and interpretation of the results obtained. Outcomes. The authors formulated the principles of combining mining techniques for mining natural and man-made non-ferrous metal ore deposits following an eco-economic criterion. The authors give some historical information and their analysis of the in-situ leaching practices applied to uranium and polymetallic ores with balance metal content. Information is given on ways to use combinations of mining and processing techniques based on the use of improved conventional processes together with state-of-the-art technologies, which include the following: control over discrete rocks within a massif by filling the underground voids with hardening stowing mixtures of differentiated hardness, in-situ and heap leaching of mined metals and leaching in disintegrators with mechanical and chemical activation of the hardening mixture components. The articles also describes the conditions which can ensure efficiency of the leaching process. Findings. Combined mining processes designed for substandard reserves open up new prospects for concentrators dealing with non-ferous metals. Combining conventional mining processes with innovative metal leaching techniques provides a potential for mining companies to improve their economies through reasonable metal recovery and the possibility to use hardening mixtures made with recoverable mine and concentrator tailings for backfilling.

Keywords

Structural mechanics, underground mining, rock, massif, geomechanics, metal, leaching

Vladimir I. Golik – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor

Professor at the Department of Mining, North-Caucasus State Technical University, Vladikavkaz, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Yury V. Dmitrak – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor, Rector

North-Caucasus State Technical University, Vladikavkaz, Russia.

1. Golik V.I., Romashchenko V.I., Polyakov A.V. Advanced techniques for the recovery of metals from concentrator tailings for their further multiple applications. Izvestiya Tulskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Nauka o Zemle [Bulletin of the Tula State University. Earth science]. 2016, no. 1, pp. 100-111. (In Russ.)

2. Lyashenko V.I. Eco technologies for the development of complex mineral deposits. Marksheyderskiy vestnik [Mine surveying bulletin]. 2015, no. 1, pp. 10−15. (In Russ.)

3. Kaplunov D.R., Melnik V.V., Rylnikova M.V. Comprehensive development of mineral resources. Izvestiya Tulskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Nauka o Zemle [Bulletin of the Tula State University. Earth science]. 2016, 333 p. (In Russ.)

4. Evdokimov S.I., Evdokimov V.S. Improved recovery of gold due to processing of ore and waste together. FTPRRMPI [Journal of Mining Science]. 2017, no. 2, pp. 154-160. (In Russ.)

5. Matthews T. Dilution and ore loss projections: Strategies and considerations. SME Annual Conference and Expo and CMA 117th National Western Mining Conference Mining Navigating the Global Waters. Denver, United States. 2015, pp. 529–532.

6. Golik V. I., Yu Dmitrak. V. Parameters of transportation of tailings of metals lixiviating. E3S Web of Conferences The Second International Symposium Innovative Mining. 2017.

7. Golik V.I., Bryukhovetskiy O.S., Gabaraev O.Z. Development of uranium ore deposits. Moscow, 2007, 131 p. (In Russ.)

8. Golik V.I. Conceptual approaches to the creation of low- and non-waste mining processes through a combination of physico-technical and physicochemical geotechnologies. Gornyi zhurnal [Mining journal]. 2013, no. 5, pp. 93-97. (In Russ.)

9. Rylnikova M.V. Resource conservation and energy efficiency provided by combined geotechnology. Kombinirovannya geotekhnologiya: resursosberezhenie i energoeffektivnost’ [Combined geotechnology: Resource conservation and energy efficiency]. Magnitogorsk, NMSTU, 2017, pp. 18-21. (In Russ.)

10. Sinclair L., Thompson J. In situ leaching of copper: Challenges and future pro spects. Hydrometallurgy. 2015, vol. 157, pp. 306-324.

11. Franks, D. M., Boger D. V., Côte, C. M., Mulligan D. R. 2011. Sustainable Development Principles for the Disposal of Mining and Mineral Processing Wastes. Resources Policy, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 114-122.

12. H. Jang, E. Topal, Kawamura Y. Decision support system of unplanned dilution and ore-loss in underground stoping operations using a neuro-fuzzy system. Applied Soft Computing Journal. 2015, vol. 32, pp. 1-12.

13. Golik V.I., Romashchenko V.I., Kachurin N.M. The concept of combining ore development techniques. Izvestiya Tulskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Nauka o Zemle [Bulletin of the Tula State University. Earth science]. 2015, no. 4, pp. 76-88. (In Russ.)

14. Babkin V.V., Uspensky D.D. New strategy. Chemistry-2030. High value added raw materials. Clustering. Adoption of chemicals by the industry of the Russian Federation. Moscow: Lika, 2015, 222 p. (In Russ.)

15. Ghorbani Y., Franzidis J.-P., Petersen J. Heap Leaching Technology – Current State, Innovations, and Future Directions: A review. Mineral Processing and Extractive Metallurgy Review. 2016, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 73-119.

16. Puchkov L.A. Expected consumption of mineral and energy resources in crisis-free economy. Gornyi zhurnal [Mining journal]. 2014, no. 7, pp. 45-48. (In Russ.)

17. Sokolov I.V., Antipin Yu.G. Systematization and economics-focused modeling of techniques for the development of underground reserves when using a combined development technology. Gornyi zhurnal [Mining journal]. 2012, no. 1, pp. 67-71. (In Russ.)

18. Progressive methods of concentration and comprehensive processing of natural and man-made mineral resources (Plaksin readings 2014). Ed. by V.A. Chanturia. Almaty: JSC «Center of Sciences about Earth, metallurgy and enrichment», 2014, 624 p. (In Russ.)

19. Stas G.V., Kachurin N.M., Mokhnachuk I.I., Pozdeev A.A. Mathematical models of aerogas dynamics in stopes at mines and quarries. Izvestiya Tulskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Nauka o Zemle [Bulletin of the Tula State University. Earth science]. 2013, iss. 1, pp. 267-277. (In Russ.)