ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

Abstract

It is a fact that, because of its poor performance characteristics, aluminium with high concentrations of iron, silicon and other impurities fails to find an industrial application. Hence, the development of new alluminium-based alloys appears to be a very important task. One of the promising compositions observed on the aluminium-iron diagram is a eutectic (α-Al+Al3Fe), which, having a minimum crystallization interval, corresponds to 2.18%(wt.) of iron content. This composition was taken as a model alloy and was inoculated with lithium, beryllium, and magnesium. The objective of this work is to establish what effect the above additives can produce on the corrosion resistance and the electrochemical behaviour of the model alloy of АZh2,18 in the NaCl medium. To achieve this objective, the anodic behaviour of the АZh2,18 alloy inoculated with the above metals was studied on the potentiostat PI-50.1.1 using the potentiostatic method in a potentiodynamic mode with the potential sweep speed of 2 mV/s. It is shown that, in the NаCl electrolyte, as the inoculant concentration increases, the free corrosion potential (or, fixed potential) of alloys travels in the direction of increase of the coordinate axis, whereas as the concentration of chloride ion rises, the fixed potential of alloys travels in the direction of decrease of the coordinate axis. As the chloride ion concentration in the electrolyte increases, the pitting and repassivation potentials of alloys drop. A higher concentration of inoculants in the original АZh2,18 alloy leads to rising pitting and repassivation potentials in all the media regardless of the chloride ion concentration. As the chloride ion concentration rises, the corrosion current density and, correspondingly, the corrosion rate of the alloys increase, whereas inoculants cut them down twice. These findings can be used for the development of new aluminum-iron alloys applicable in multiple industries.

Keywords

AZh2,18 alloy, lithium, beryllium, magnesium, potentiostatic method, electrochemical corrosion, anodic behaviour, corrosion potential, corrosion rate.

Kholiknazar H. Azimov – Postgraduate Student

Nikitin Institute of Chemistry of the Republic of Tajikistan. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Izatullo N. Ganiev – D.Sc. (Chem.), Professor, Head of Laboratory

Nikitin Institute of Chemistry, member of the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Tajikistan. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Ilkhom T. Amonov – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor

Tajik Technical University. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Mijgona Sh. Juraeva – Postgraduate Student

Nikitin Institute of Chemistry of the Republic of Tajikistan. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Luts A.R., Suslina A.A. Alyuminiy i ego splavy [Aluminium and aluminium alloys]. Samara: Samara State Tenchical University, 2013, 81 p. (In Russ.)

2. Beletsky V.M., Krivov G.A. Alyuminievye splavy (Sostav, svoystva, tekhnologiya, primenenie) [Aluminum alloys (Composition, properties, technology, application)]. Ed. by I.N. Fridlyander. Kiev: KOMITEKH, 2005, 365 p.

3. Mondolfo L.F. Struktura i svoystva alyuminievykh splavov [Structure and properties of aluminum alloys]. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1973, 639 p. (In Russ.)

4. Krasnoyarsky V.V., Saydaliev N.R. The corrosion and electrochemical properties of aluminium-iron alloys in neutral solutions. Zashchita ot korrozii i okruzhayushchey sredy [Corrosion and environmental load protection]. Moscow: 1991, vol. 3, pp. 14–19.

5. Frolov V.F., Belyaev S.V., Gubanov I.Yu., Bezrukikh A.I., Kostin I.V. Influence of process factors on the formation of structural defects in heavy 1XXX series aluminium alloy ingots. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2016, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 25–31.

6. Chukin M.V., Salganik V.M., Poletskov P.P. et al. Main types of nanostructured high-strength steel sheets and their application. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2014, no. 4, pp. 41–44.

7. Chen X.-G. Growth mechanisms of intermetallic phases in DC cast AA1XXX alloys. Essential Readings in Light Metals. Volume 3. Cast Shop for Aluminum Production. 2013, pp. 460–465.

8. Grange D.A. Microstructure control in ingots of aluminium alloys with an emphasis on grain refinement. Essential Readings in Light Metals. Volume 3. Cast Shop for Aluminum Production. 2013, pp. 354–365.

9. Geoffrey K. Sigworth Fundamentals of Solidification in Aluminum Castings. International Journal of Metalcasting. 2014, vol. 8, iss. 1, рp. 7–20.

10. Umarova T.M., Ganiev I.N. Anodnye splavy alyuminiya s margantsem, zhelezom i redkozemelnymi metallami [Aluminium anode alloys with manganese, iron and rare earth metals]. Dushanbe: Donish, 2009, 232 p.

11. Ganiev I.N., Umarova T.M., Obidov Z.R. Korroziya dvoynykh alyuminievykh splavov v neytralnykh sredakh [Corrosion of binary aluminium alloys in neutral media]. LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, 2011, 198 p.

12. Azimov Kh.Kh., Ganiev I.N., Amonov I.T., Djayloev Dj.Kh. Potentiodynamic study of the alloy Al+2.18%Fe inoculated with lithium in the NaCl medium. Izvestiya vuzov. Khimiya i khimicheskaya tekhnologiya [Proceedings of Russian Universities. Chemistry and chemical technology], 2016, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 74–79. (In Russ.)

13. Dzjayloev Dj.Kh., Ganiev I.N., Amonov I.T., Azimov Kh.Kh. Potentiodynamic study of the alloy Al+2.18%Fe doped with barium. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedeniy. Khimiya i khimicheskaya tekhnologiya [Proceedings of Russian Universities. Chemistry and chemical technology], 2014, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 97–98. (In Russ.)

14. Radjabaliev S.S., Ganiev I.N., Amonov I.T. The effect of lead on the anodic behaviour of the alloy Al+2.18%Fe. Voprosy materialovedeniya [Problems of materials engineering], 2016, no. 2 (86), pp. 147–152. (In Russ.)

15. Djayloev Dj.Kh., Ganiev I.N., Amonov I.T., Azimov Kh.Kh. Anodic behaviour of the alloy Al+2.18%Fe doped with calcium in the NaCl medium. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedeniy. Khimiya i khimicheskaya tekhnologiya [Proceedings of Russian Universities. Chemistry and chemical technology], 2015, vol. 58, no. 12, pp. 38–42. (In Russ.)

16. Nazarov Sh.A., Ganiev I.N., Norova M.T., Ganieva N.I. Irene Calliari. Potentiodynamic study of the alloy Al+6% Li with yttrium in the NaCl medium. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnich- eskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2016, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 95–100. (In Russ.)

17. Odinaev F.R., Ganiev I.N., Safarov A.G., Yakubov U.Sh. Potentiodynamic study of the alloy AZh4.5 doped with lead in the NaCl medium. Obrabotka sploshnykh i sloistykh materialov [Processing of solids and laminates], 2016, no. 2 (45), pp. 64–68. (In Russ.)

18. Semenchenko V.K. Poverkhnostnye yavleniya v metallakh i splavakh [Surface phenomena in metals and alloys]. Moscow, 1956, 135 p. (In Russ.)

19. Ganiev I.N., Parkhutik G.A., Vakhobov A.V., Kupriyanova I.Yu. Modifitsirovanie siluminov strontsiem [Modification of silumins with strontium]. Minsk: Science and technology. 1985, 143 p. (In Russ.)

20. Maltsev M.V. Modifitsirovanie struktury metallov i splavov [Structural modification of metals and alloys]. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1984, 280 p. (In Russ.)