ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

Abstract

Production of forgings with stiffeners, which are made from aluminium alloys on a heavy-duty hydraulic die forging machine, can often lead to defects such as bursts, shrinkage holes and so on, which can also occur due to uneven deformation. To prevent such defects, certain process- and design-related techniques are used in actual production that help control the flow of metal across the die impression. The experience of designers and process engineers is not always sufficient for them to properly design the forging, the tool and the process, which makes experiments necessary. Due to advances in computers and software, which now enable to carry out virtual experiments and computer simulation, costly laboratory and field experiments are not relevant any more. For computer simulation of forming processes, most of steel and machine producers, both in Russia and abroad, rely on FEM software packages, which have the following features: a large amount of memory and a high speed of the user computer, long calculation times, a big size of the input file. The aim of this research is to create a simple and user-friendly simulation software package for modelling metal forging processes. The developed software package EQUI is used (so far) for computer simulation of the metal flow pattern and contains the following images: the workpiece contour, the metal flow boundary and the flow line. Using this software, the upsetting process was simulated. Physical experiments were carried out in which workpieces of the same shape were produced by upsetting. A comparison of the results of the computer and physical simulation confirms the suppositions suggested.

Keywords

Metal flow boundary, flow line, metal flow pattern, workpiece, upsetting, equidistant curve, computer simulation, software package.

Liudmila I. Tishchuk – Head of Laboratory

Moscow State University of Railway Engineering (Voronezh Branch), Voronezh, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Konstantin N. Solomonov – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor

Moscow State University of Railway Engineering (Voronezh Branch), Voronezh, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Igor P. Mazur – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor

Lipetsk State Technical University, Lipetsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Marcin Knapinski – D.Sc. (Eng.), Dean

Czestochowa University of Technology, Czestochowa, Poland.

Nikolai I. Fedorinin – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor

Moscow State University of Railway Engineering (Voronezh Branch), Voronezh, Russia.

1. Solomonov, K., 2012, Application of CAD/CAM Systems for Computer Simulation of Metal Forming Processes, Materials Science Forum, 704–705, 434–439.

2. Tishchuk L.I., Solomonov K.N. Market analysis for the process simulation software market. Vestnik Karagandinskogo gosudarstvennogo industrial'nogo universiteta [Bulletin of the Karaganda State Industrial University], 2013, no. 2, pp. 50–55. (In Russ.)

3. Mazur I.P., Borisov S.S., Kavalek A. Studying the hardening behaviour of HSLA steel during cold rolling. Proizvodstvo prokata [Rolling], 2012, no. 7, pp. 8–13. (In Russ.)

4. Solomonov, K., 2014, Development of software for simulation of forming forgings, Procedia Engineering, 8, 437–443.

5. Storozhev M.V., Popov E.A. Teoriya obrabotki metallov davleniyem [Theory of metal forming]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1971. (In Russ.)

6. Gubkin S.I. Teoriya obrabotki metallov davleniyem [Theory of metal forming]. Moscow: Metallurgizdat, 1947. (In Russ.)

7. Golovin A.F. Prokatka [Rolling]. Moscow: Metallurgizdat, 1933. (In Russ.)

8. Sobbe, C., 1908, Beiträge zur Technologie des Schmiedepressens, Werkstattstechnik, 9, 457–471.

9. Tarnovskyi I.Ya., Pozdeev A.A., Ganago O.A. Deformatsii i usiliya pri obrabotke metallov davleniyem [Deformation and forces in metal forming]. Moscow: Mashgiz, 1959. (In Russ.)

10. Solomonov K. Modelirovaniye formoobrazovaniya pokovok: issledovaniya, gipotezy, razrabotki [Simulation of the forging process: Research, hypotheses, developments]. Saarbrücken: LAMBERT Academic Publishing, 2011. (In Russ.)

11. Solomonov K.N., Fedorinin N.I., Tishchuk L.I. A method of designing a metal flow boundary when upsetting flat workpieces. Vestnik nauchno-tekhnicheskogo razvitiya [Bulletin of scientific and technical development], 2016, no. 2, pp. 36–55. (In Russ.)