ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

Abstract

Kuzbass is one of the largest developed coal basins of the Russian Federation, with most of the strippable coal contained in inclined and steeply inclined coal seams. The commonly used deepening longitudinal one-board or two-board mining system contributes to the progressing rate of surface deterioration caused by both mining operations and external dumping. The land capacity in the Kemerovo Region is 3 to 4 times higher than the indicators shown by the other basins found in the country. The environmental impact can be reduced by changing the mining sequence, i.e. by using the mined-out space for overburden. If such usage is overlooked at the mine site design stage, the open-pit fields will be limited with their own overburden dumps, which may empede their further development. These solutions are designed to help eliminate the above mentioned shortcomings of the deepening mining systems. Besides, the general technical policy of coal producers includes a consistent trend for an increased share of internal dumping. The mined-out space, which was earlier considered unavailable for overburden during either the initial or actual operating period, can be efficiently utilized by way of targeted impacts. As a coal mine gets developed, the mined-out space offers spatial figures confined between two surfaces – the natural one and the man-made one. Contrary to contemporary literature sources, which are analyzed in the publication, the author’s interpretation of classification features is the first of its kind that allows for the spatial geometrical forms of sections of the mined-out space. Regularities have been identified following a statistical analysis of the technical data collected from the coal mines of the Kemerovo Region. The established regularities can help identify the spatial consistency of the geometrical forms of the mined-out space. The dependences obtained can be used for designing internal overburden dumps.

Keywords

Open pit, mined-out space, spatial form, indicators, regularities.

Aleksey V. Selyukov – Ph.D. (Eng.), Assosiate Professor

Gorbachev Kuzbass State Technical University, Kemerovo, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Gavrishev S.E., Zalyadnov V.Yu., Pytalev I.A., Pavlova E.V. Determining the capacity of the mined-out space of open pits to be used for various types of hazardous waste. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskii byulleten’ [Mining bulletin], 2014, no. 4, pp. 129–133. (In Russ.)

2. Zaytseva A.A., Zaytsev G.D. Determining the actual mined-out space of open pits for internal dumping when developing inclined coal deposits. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskii byulleten’ [Mining bulletin], 2011, no. 2, pp. 129–133. (In Russ.)

3. Kovalenko V.S., Shchteyntsayg M.R. On efficiency of using the mined-out space in longwall coal mining. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskii byulleten’ [Mining bulletin], 2009, no. 98, pp. 211–216. (In Russ.)

4. Eremenko E.V., Kosolapov A.I. On management of the man-made resources of an open pit. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskii byulleten’ [Mining bulletin], 2015, no. 114, pp. 249–259. (In Russ.)

5. Klishin V.I., Ordin A.A., Fedorin V.V. Substatiation of optimum strategy and assessment of maximum coal production through open-pit and underground mining in Kuzbass. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskii byulleten’ [Mining bulletin], 2009, no. 12(2), pp. 188–185. (In Russ.)

6. Frolov S.V. Analysis of research papers concerned with internal dumps. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskii byulleten’ [Mining bulletin], 2009, no. 12(2), pp. 392–396. (In Russ.)

7. Selyukov A.V. Overburden placement optimization tool for an operating pit. Zapiski gornogo instituta [Procedings of the mining institute], 2016, vol. 219, pp. 387–391. (In Russ.)

8. Selyukov A.V. Technological significance of internal dumping in open pit coal mining in the Kemerovo region [Journal of Mining Science]. 2015, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 879–887.

9. Selyukov A.V. Advanced technology based on new technological and organization principles of spatial development of front of mining operation at open pits. Taishan Academic Fo-rum – Project on Mine Disaster Prevention and Control "Chinese coal in XXI century: mining, green and safety", 17–20 October 2014. Qindao, China, pp. 156–160.

10. Rzhevskii V.V. Otrytye gornye raboty: Tekhnologiya i kompleksnaya mekhanizatsiya [Opencast mining: Technology and comprehensive mechanization]. Moscow: Nedra, 1985, 549 p. (In Russ.)

11. Rzhevskii V.V. Proektirovanie konturov karierov [Pit outline design]. Moscow: Metallurgizdat, 1957, 281 p. (In Russ.)

12. Khokhryakov V.S. Proektirovanie karierov: uchebnik dlya vuzov [Open pit design: Textbook for university students]. Moscow: Nedra, 1992, 383 p. (In Russ.)

13. Zaks L. Statisticheskoe otsenivanie [Statistical estimation]. Moskow: Statistics, 1976, 598 p. (In Russ.)

14. Selyukov A.V. Contouring of an open pit field and an external dump with the aim of reducing excessive mined-out space at open pit mines relying on haulage trucks. Vestnik Kuzbasskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta [Bulletin of the Kuzbass State Technical University], 2016, no. 4, pp. 7–13. (In Russ.)