ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance): To be able to control the structural and mechanical properties of the material going through a hot strip mill, it is necessary to build a mathematical model for the recrystallization kinetics of deformed austenite under the conditions that simulate the strain rates and the temperatures characteristic of a real rolling operation. Objectives: This research aimed to develop a mathematical model for the static recrystallization of austenite in carbon and low-alloy steels under hot rolling conditions. Methods Applied: 3D recrystallization graphs showing the recrystallization of austenite in carbon and low-alloy steels were used for recrystallization model development. The above graphs were built following an experimental study of the austenite structure formed under the conditions that simulate the strain rates and the temperatures found within the finishing mill of a real hot strip mill. The method of multiple regression analysis was applied for obtaining the factors of the recrystallization kinetics equations. Originality: A model of the austenite recrystallization kinetics has been developed that, alongside the strain parameters, considers the chemical composition of steel, as well as the austenite grain size prior to deformation. Findings: With the help of the developed model, the effect of the chemical composition on the recrystallization kinetics in low-alloy steels has been analysed. The article demonstrates that a change in the chemical composition of different low-alloy steel grades may change the recrystallization time of de-formed austenite by more than twenty times. Variations of the chemical composition within a steel grade may also produce a considerable impact on the recrystallization kinetics, which should be taken into account when developing processes for hot rolling of steel. Practical Relevance: The austenite recrystallization model can be used for predicting changes in the austenite structure, as well as for hot strip rolling optimization.

Keywords

Recrystallization, austenite, hot rolling, hot strip mill, modeling, steel, chemical composition.

Valeriy V. Shkatov – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor

Lipetsk State Technical University, Lipetsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Igor P. Mazur – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor

Lipetsk State Technical University, Lipetsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Anna Kawalek – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor

Czestochowa University of Technology, Czestochowa, Poland. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Tatiana S. Zhuchkova – Postgraduate Student

State Technical University, Lipetsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Zahiri S. H., Byon S.M., Kim S.-I., Lee Y. and Hodgson P.D. Static and Metadynamic Recrystallization of Interstitial Free Steels during Hot Deformation. ISIJ International, 2004, vol. 44, no. 11, pp. 1918–1923.

2. Nakata N. and Militzer M. Modelling of Microstructure Evolution during Hot Rolling of a 780 MPa High Strength Steel. ISIJ International, 2005, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 82–90.

3. Hodgson P. D., Zahiri S. H. and Whale J. J. The Static and Metadynamic Recrystallization Behaviour of an X60 Nb Mi-croalloyed Steel ISIJ International, 2004, vol. 44, no. 7, pp. 1224–1229.

4. Siciliano F, Jonas J.J. Mathematical Modeling of the Hot Strip Rolling of Microalloyed Nb, Multiply-Alloyed Cr-Mo, and Plain C-Mn Steels. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 2000, vol. 31A, pp. 511–529.

5. Cho S.-H., Kang K.-B. and Jonas J.J. Mathematical Modeling of the Recrystallization Kinetics of Nb Microalloyed Steels. ISIJ International, 2001, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 766–773.

6. Fernandez A.I., Uranga P., Lopez B., Rodrigues-Ibabe J.M. Static recrystallization behaviour of a wide range of austenite grain size in microalloyed steels. ISIJ International, 2000, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 893–901.

7. Gorelik S.S., Dobatkin S.V., Kaputkina L.M. Rekristallizatsiya metallov i splavov [Recrystallization of metals and alloys]. Moscow: MISIS, 2005, 432 p. (In Russ.)

8. Medina S. F., Quispe A. Improved Model for Static Recrystal-lization Kinetics of Hot Deformed Austenite in Low Alloy and Nb/V Microalloyed Steels. ISIJ International, 2001, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 774–781.

9. Konovalov Yu.V. Spravochnik prokatchika. Kn.1 Proizvodstvo goryachekatanykh listov i polos [Rolling mill operator hand-book. Vol. 1: Production of hot-rolled sheets and strips]. Mos-cow: Heating engineer, 2008, 640 p. (In Russ.)

10. Konovalov Yu.V. The present and the future of hot sheet and strip mills. Message 6: Hot wide strip mills. Proizvodstvo pro-kata [Production of rolled metal], 2008, no. 6, pp. 11–21. (In Russ.)

11. Shkatov V.V. Modelirovaniye i optimizatsiya strukturoobra-zovaniya pri nepreryvnoy goryachey prokatke listovykh staley: avtoref. dis. dokt. tekhn. nauk [Modeling and optimization of structure formation during continuous hot rolling of sheet steels: Extended abstract of doctoral dissertation]. Lipetsk, 1998, 39 p.

12. Lizunov V.I., Shkatov V.V., Molyarov V.G., Kaneev V.P. Quality management by structure during hot rolling. Metallovedeniye i termicheskaya obrabotka metallov [Physical metallurgy and heat treatment of metals], 1999, no. 4, pp. 52–56. (In Russ.)