ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance): The authors of this article demonstrate how important it is to monitor the size distribution of the concentrate in a timely manner for proper control over ore preparation and for better efficiency. Objectives: The authors aim to improve the process of taking and preparing samples for the size distribution analysis. Methods Applied: Methods applied included laboratory and field tests followed by the comparison of results obtained for samples taken using different sampling techniques. Originality: The original features of this research include the use of a combined method of sampling and sample preparation which helps eliminate the likely systematic error. Findings: To ensure accuracy of the size distribution analysis and to understand how successful a new ore preparation technology has turned to be, one should account for the likely systematic error by sampling consistently in order to register any possible local change in particle size distribution. Practical Relevance: This research resulted in the implementation of a new sampling equipment which utilizes a combined method of sampling and sample preparation. The use of this method can improve the judgement of how the current size distribution can impact the ore preparation and downstream processes.

Keywords

Size distribution, sampling, сombined method, likely systematic error, ore preparation.

Vladimir B. Chyzhevsky – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Natalia V. Gmyzina – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Aleksey S. Komlev – Ph.D. (Eng.), Chief Operating Officer

"Tails KO" LLC, Yekaterinburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Vasiliev A.M., Frolov V.V. Improving the particle size distribution analysis of fine materials using sieves of various design. Obogashchenie rud [Ore concentration], 2016, no. 3, pp. 41–46. (In Russ.)

2. Gmyzina N.V. Intensifying the grinding of converter slag. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2009, no. 3 (27), pp. 13–14. (In Russ.)

3. Gmyzina N.V., Zubkov A.A. Concentration and comprehen-sive utilization of steelmaking slag. Materialy VII Kongressa obogatiteley stran SNG [Proceedings of the VII Congress of Concentration Plant Operators from CIS]. Moscow: Alteks, 2009, vol. II, pp. 67–68. (In Russ.)

4. Davaasambuu D., Erdenetsogt D. Optimization of the flotation of copper-molybdenum ores on the basis of operational anal-ysis of the mineral composition. Nauchnye osnovy i praktika pererabotki rud i tekhnogennogo syria: Materialy XX Mezhdu-narodnoy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konferentsii [The scientific basis and the practice of ore and industrial materials pro-cessing: Proceedings of the XX International Scientific Con-ference]. Yekaterinburg: Fort Dialog Iset’ Publishing House, 2015, pp 52–56. (In Russ.)

5. Zimin A.V., Kalinin E.P., Ryzhkov K.V., Nemchinov L.A. et al. Start-up and commissioning of Haybullinskyi Concentrator Plant of Bashmed LLC using the technology and the equip-ment of RIVS Research and Manufacturing Association. Nauchnye osnovy i praktika pererabotki rud i tekhnogennogo syria: Materialy XX Mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konferentsii [The scientific basis and the practice of ore and industrial materials processing: Proceedings of the XX Inter-national Scientific Conference]. Yekaterinburg: Fort Dialog Iset’ Publishing House, 2015, pp. 272–276. (In Russ.)

6. Ivanov B.S., Baudouin A.Ya., Petrov G.V. The country’s cop-per-zinc sulfide ores: The problems of processing and per-spectives. Obogashchenie rud [Ore concentration], 2014, no. 3, pp. 7–13. (In Russ.)

7. Kozin V.Z. Oprobovanie mineralnogo syria [Minerals testing]. Yekaterinburg: Publishing House of the Ural State Mining University, 2011, 316 p. (In Russ.)

8. Kozin V.Z., Komlev A.S. Bonanza grade and sample monitoring. Obogashchenie rud [Ore concentration], 2015, no. 4, pp. 39–43. (In Russ.)

9. Kozin V.Z., Komlev A.S. Combined method of sampling de-signed for products of a concentration plant and the equip-ment for its implementation. Obogashchenie rud [Ore concen-tration], 2014, no. 3, pp. 28–32. (In Russ.)

10. Kozin V.Z., Morozov Yu.P., Komlev A.S., Falkovich E.S. Sampling equipment and sampling technologies for concentration plants. Gorny zhurnal [Mining Journal], 2015, no. 8, pp. 76–81. (In Russ.)

11. Komlev A.S. Theoretical proof of the existence and the magnitude of the likely systematic error in concentrator product sampling. Nauchnye osnovy i praktika pererabotki rud i tekhnogennogo syria: Materialy XXI Mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konferentsii [The scientific basis and the practice of ore and industrial materials processing: Proceedings of the XXI International Scientific Conference]. Yekaterinburg: Fort Dialog Iset’ Publishing House, 2016, pp. 48–50. (In Russ.)

12. Komlev A.S. The impact of the likely systematic error on con-centrator product particle size distribution analysis. Nauchnye osnovy i praktika pererabotki rud i tekhnogennogo syria: Ma-terialy XX Mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konfer-entsii [The scientific basis and the practice of ore and indus-trial materials processing: Proceedings of the XX International Scientific Conference]. Yekaterinburg: Fort Dialog Iset’ Pub-lishing House, 2015, pp. 186–191. (In Russ.)

13. Kireeva O.V., Dresvyankina T.P., Nazarenko L.N. Enhanced processing of mature dump slag with the help of ultrafine grinding. Nauchnye osnovy i praktika pererabotki rud i tekhnogennogo syria: Materialy XVIII Mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konferentsii [The scientific basis and the practice of ore and industrial materials processing: Proceedings of the XVIII International Scientific Conference]. Yekaterinburg: Fort Dialog Iset’ Publishing House, 2013, pp. 71–74. (In Russ.)

14. Lobanov V.G., Abrakhmanov I.S., Terekhov P. Effect of sur-factants on the grindability of gold ore. Nauchnye osnovy i praktika pererabotki rud i tekhnogennogo syria: Materialy XXI Mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konferentsii [The scientific basis and the practice of ore and industrial materials processing: Proceedings of the XXI International Scientific Conference]. Yekaterinburg: Fort Dialog Iset’ Publishing House, 2016, pp. 266–268. (In Russ.)

15. Morozov Yu.P. Enhancing the utilization of sulfide ores through further extraction of gold. Uralsky gosudarstvenny gorny universitet; OOO “Tails KO” [Ural State Mining Universi-ty; "Tails KO" LLC]. Yekaterinburg: Fort Dialog Iset’ Publishing House, 2015. 61 p. (In Russ.)

16. Orlov S.L., Musaev V.V., Chinova N.B., Pushnoy E.A. et al. Enhanced recovery of gold from the ores of the Vorontsovskoe deposit. Nauchnye osnovy i praktika pererabotki rud i tekhnogennogo syria: Materialy XVII Mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konferentsii [The scientific basis and the practice of ore and industrial materials processing: Proceedings of the XVII International Scientific Conference]. Yekaterinburg: Fort Dialog Iset’ Publishing House, 2012, pp. 62–66. (In Russ.)

17. Pelevin A.E., Mushketov A.A. Exposure of valuable minerals when grinding the titanium magnetite ores of the Gusevogorskoe deposit. Nauchnye osnovy i praktika pererabotki rud i tekhnogennogo syria: Materialy XX Mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konferentsii [The scientific basis and the practice of ore and industrial materials processing: Proceedings of the XX International Scientific Conference]. Yekaterinburg: Fort Dialog Iset’ Publishing House, 2015, pp. 38–44. (In Russ.)

18. Saloheymo K. New generation of slurry particle size analyzers. Tsvetnye metally [Non-Ferrous Metals], 2010, no. 2, pp. 82–88. (In Russ.)

19. Chizhevsky V.B., Gmyzina N.V. Looking at the composition and the structure of converter slag. Aktualnye problemy sov-remennoy nauki, tekhniki i obrazovaniya: Materialy 68-y mezhregionalnoy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konferentsii [Im-portant problems of today’s science, technology and educa-tion: Proceedings of the 68th Cross-Regional Scientific Con-ference]. Magnitogorsk, 2010, vol. I, pp. 185–188. (In Russ.)

20. Shekhirev D.V., Smaylov B.B. The kinetics of extracting particles containing different minerals when floating lead-zinc ore. Obogashchenie rud [Ore concentration], 2016, no. 2, pp. 20–27. (In Russ.)

21. Chunyue Song, Kailin Hu, Ping Li. Modeling and scheduling optimization for bulk ore blending process. Journal of Iron and Steel Research, International. 2012, vol. 19, iss. 9, September, pp. 20–28.

22. Cleary P.W., Robinson G.K. Sampling of cohesive bulk mate-rials by falling stream cutters. Chemical Engineering Science. 2011, vol. 66, iss. 17, pp. 3991–4003.

23. Pitard F. Correct sampling systems and statistical tools for metallurgical prosesses. XXVII international Mineral Pro-cessing Congress. Santiago, Chile. 2014. Chap. 15, pp. 1.

24. Boucher D., Langlois R., Waters K., Rowson N. Particle motion observed inside a laboratory-scale Knelson Concentrator using positron emission particle tracking. XXVII international Mineral Processing Congress. Santiago, Chile. 2014. Chap. 17, pp. 73–82.

25. Morozov Yu.P., Kozin V.Z., Komlev A.S. Sokratitel’ diskovy elektromekhanichesky i sposob sokrashcheniya i otbora prob s ego ispolzovaniem [Circular electric sample cutter and its application]. Patent RF, no. 2347205, 2009.

26. Morozov Yu.P., Kozin V.Z., Komlev A.S., Falkovich E.S. Stantsiya oprobovaniya pulpy i sposob oprobovaniya potoka pulpy s ee ispolzovaniem [Slurry sampling station and its application for continuous slurry flow]. Patent RF, no. 2511377, 2014.

27. State Standard 14180-80. Nonferrous metal ores and concentrates. Methods of sampling and sample preparation for chemical analysis and moisture content analysis. (In Russ.)

28. State Standard R ISO 5725-1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6-2002. Accuracy (trueness and precision) of measurement methods and re-sults. (In Russ.)

29. State Standard 28192-89. Waste non-ferrous metals and alloys. Methods of sampling and sample preparation and test methods. (In Russ.)

30. STO 04610600-014-2007 Waste aluminium-platimun mono-metallic and polymetallic catalysts and catalyst production by-products. Acceptance, sampling, packaging, labeling, trans-portation and storage. (In Russ.)

31. State Standard 24598-81. Nonferrous metal ores and concentrates. Sieve and sedimentation methods for determining the particle size distribution. (In Russ.)