ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

Problem Statement: As part of the comprehensive project of creating a hi-tech production process, which is carried out by Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University together with Termodeform-MGTU LLC at the request of Magnitogorsk Iron and Steel Works, a process is being developed for the production of nanostructured flat rolled products having a unique combination of mechanical properties and capable of substituting similar imported products. Objectives: The objective is to look at how the chemical composition and the heat treatment conditions effect the hardness and the impact strength of nanostructured high-strength rolled sheet steel. Methods Applied: With the help of the Termodeform-MGTU laboratory facilities, a number of ingots were produced, which had various chemical compositions and which were later exposed to hot deformation and different modes of heat treatment. After the heat treatment, a number of samples were prepared from the sheets for hardness and impact testing. The results of the mechanical tests were then analysed for statistics. Originality: The originality of this work includes the mathematical dependences established which show how the chemical composition and the heat treatment conditions can effect the hardness and the impact strength in high-strength rolled sheet steel. Findings: Following the statistical analysis of the experimental data, equations were obtained that show how the chemical composition and the heat treatment conditions effect the hardness and the impact strength of high-strength rolled sheet steel. Also, it was found that the temperature range of 250 to 400 °C does not prove to be a good tempering temperature for high-strength Cr-Ni-Mo-V steel with 0.3% of carbon as it can lead to constant temper brittleness. Practical Relevance: The mathematical dependences established enable to create new or improve the current high-strength rolled sheet steel production processes.

Keywords

High-strength steel, heat treatment, hardness, toughness, statistical analysis.

Mikhail V. Chukin – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor, First Vice-Rector, Vice-Rector for Research and Innovation

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Pavel P. Poletskov – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Phone: +7(3519)29-85-25. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Dmitry G. Nabatchikov – Ph.D. (Eng.), Assistant Professor

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Phone: +7(3519)29-85-25.

Marina S. Gushchina – Master’s Student

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia.

Daniil Yu. Alekseev – Postgraduate Student

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Konstantin Khakimullin – Project Engineer

Hosokawa kolb, Bonn, Germany (FRG). E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Chukin M.V., Salganik V.M., Poletskov P.P., Berezhnaya G.A., Gushchina M.S., Kuznetsova A.S., Alekseev D.Y. Analysis of technical requirements applicable to high-strenght nanostructured sheet steel. Obrabotka sploshnykh i sloistykh materialov [Solid and laminate materials processing]. 2014, no. 2, pp. 19–28. (In Russ.)

2. Salganik V.M., Poletskov P.P., Gushchina M.S., Berezhnaya G.A., Kuznetsova A.S., Stekanov P.A., Alekseev D.Y. Some features of procuding high-strength nanostructured sheet steel. Vestnik Gomel`skogo gosudarstvennogo tehnicheskogo universiteta im. P.O. Suhogo [Vestnik of Sukhoy Gomel State Technical University]. 2015, no. 1, pp. 27–30. (In Russ.)

3. Yanyushevich Z. et al. The effect of tempering on the mechanical properties and microstructure of high strength low alloy steel. Metallovedenie i termicheskaya obrabotka metallov [Physical metallurgy and heat treatment of metals]. 2014, no. 2, pp. 23–25. (In Russ.)

4. M.W. Tong, P.K.C. Venkatsurya, W.H. Zhou. Structure–mechanical property relationship in a high strength microalloyed steel with low yield ratio: The effect of tempering temperature. Materials Science and Engineering, 2014, vol. 609, pp. 209–216.

5. Pradipta Kumar Jena, Ponguru Senthil P., Siva Kumar K. Effect of tempering time on the ballistic performance of a high strength armour steel. Journal of Applied Research and Technology, 2016, vol. 14, pp. 47–53.

6. Lvovsky E.N. Statisticheskie metody postroeniya empericheskikh formul: Ucheb. posobie dlya vtuzov. 2-e izd., pererab. i dop. [Statistical methods of building empirical formulae. A guide for technical university students: 2nd ed.: revised and extended]. Moscow: Higher Sk., 1988, 239 p. (In Russ.)

7. Rumyantsev M.I., Ruchinskaya N.A. Statisticheskie metodyi dlya obrabotki i analiza chislovoy informatsii, kontrolya i upravleniya kachestvom [Statistical methods for processing and analysis of numerical information and for control and quality management]. Magnitogorsk: Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, 2008, 207 p. (In Russ.)

8. Smirnov N.V., Dunin-Barkovskii I.V. Kurs teorii veroyatnostey i matematicheskoy statistiki dlya tehnicheskih prilozheniy [A course in the probability theory and mathematical statistics for technical applications]. Moscow: Nauka, 1969, 211 p. (In Russ.)

9. Minko A.A. Statisticheskiy analiz v MS Excel [The statistical analysis in MS Excel]. Moscow: Williams Publishing House, 2004, 448 p. (In Russ.)

10. Borovikov V. STATISTICA. Iskusstvo analiza dannyih na kompyutere [STATISTICA. The art on computer analysis of data]. S. Petersburg, 2003, 688 p. (In Russ.)