ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

Relevance and Objectives: Both crop top ingots of normal length and elongated crop top ingots as well as elongated ingots without crop tops are used for the fabrication of hollow forgings. Chilled top ingots provide the best efficiency both in terms of final product quality and performance indicators. Materials and Methods Applied: The object of research is a 1.53 ton chilled top ingot of ‘38ХН3МФА’ steel teemed with a 10.8% cooling top extension. 2D ingot models with transparent walls were used for the physical modeling of crystallization and structure formation in the ingot under study. Etching was applied when examining the macrostructure of the cast ingot metal. The process of crystallization was studied with the help of the Crystal simulation software. Findings: Based on the physical modeling results obtained for model ingots with cooling top extensions of various volumes, we were able to identify the solidification patterns typical of both the whole ingot and its parts. With the help of mathematical modeling, a relationship was obtained which correlates the ingot geometry (H/D ratio) with the relative depth of the shrinkage cavity. For quantitative assessment of the vertical solidification efficiency supported by the mold cooling top extension, calculations were done to determine the thermal performance of a chilling top extension and a warmth-keeping top extension. It was established that the axial porosity zone in chilled top ingots is twice smaller in diameter and in length compared with that in conventional ingots. While conventional ingots have a significant chemical heterogeneity, in chilled top ingots these elements are more evenly distributed. The location of the shrinkage cavity along the chilled top ingot centerline ensures the cavity can be easily eliminated when the ingot is used for a hollow forging provided the shrinkage cavity is only minor. Chilled top ingots require only minimum preparation cost and have minimum top scrap. This technology provides a more homogeneous distribution of segregates along the height of the ingot and improved structure and quality.

Keywords

Chilled top ingot, solidification, chemical and structural heterogeneity, shrinkage, segregation, physical and mathematical modeling.

Sergey B. Gamanyuk – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor

Volgograd State Technical University, Volgograd, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Dmitry V. Rutskii – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor

Volgograd State Technical University, Volgograd, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Nikolai A. Zyuban – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor

Volgograd State Technical University, Volgograd, Russia. Phone: +7(8442)24-81-58. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Mikhail Yu. Chubukov – Postgraduate Student

Artem Ja. Puzikov – Postgraduate Student

1. Zhbankov I.G., Perig A.V. Forging of ingots without hot tops // Materials and Manufacturing Processes. 2013, vol. 28, no. 3. pp. 229–235.

2. Machovčák P., Tkadlečková M., Opler A., Carbol Z., Trefil A., Michalek K. The development of new type of 90 ton forging ingot. Conference Proceedings: 23rd International Conference on Metallurgy and Materials, METAL 2014; Czech Republic; 2014, pp. 72–80.

3. Jiang Z.-H., Liu F.-B., Yu Q., Chen X., Zang X.-M., Deng X. Development of a new technology for manufacture of hollow ingots by electroslag remelting process. Kang T'ieh/Iron and Steel, vol. 50, iss. 10, 2015, pp. 30–36.

4. Ao G.W., Shen M.G., Zang Z.S., Li B.L. Study on unidirectional solidification ingot with hollow lateral wall insulation. Metalurgija, vol. 55, iss. 4, 2016, pp. 597–600.

5. Liu M., Ma Q.X. Modeling and numerical simulation research on hollow steel ingot forging process of heavy cylinder forging. 4th International Conference on Manufacturing Science and Engineering, ICMSE 2013; Dalian; China, 2013, vol. 712–715, pp. 627–632.

6. Kuleshov N.I. Razrabotka sistemy avtomatizirovannogo vybora slitka s uchjotom ego vesovyh, geometricheskih i strukturnyh harakteristik. Diss. cand. tekhn. nauk [The development of an automatic ingot selection system based on weight, geometry and structure. Ph.D. dissertation]. Dnepropetrovsk, 1993. 187 p. (In Russ.)

7. Skoblo S.Ya., Kazachkov E.A. Slitki dlja krupnyh pokovok [Large forging ingots]. Moscow: Metallurgy, 1973, 248 p. (In Russ.)

8. Zhulyev S.I., Zyuban N.A. The effect of large forging ingot production parameters on the optimization of the axial zone structure formation. Metallurg [Metallurgist], 2001, no. 12, pp. 38–39. (In Russ.)

9. Samoilovich Yu.A., Timoshpol'skii V.I., Trusova I.A. Possibility of forming an ingot with a convex crystallization front. Inzhenerno-Fizicheskii Zhurnal, 2001, no. 1, vol. 74, pp. 134–138.

10. Samoilovich Yu. A., Timoshpolskiy V. I. The analysis of thermo-gravitational convection in the liquid kernel of solidified steel ingots. Part 2. The role of the configuration of a liquid kernel. Vestsi Natsiyanalnai Akademii Navuk Belarusi. Series of physical-engineering sciences, 2006, no. 1, pp. 5–9.

11. Zhulyev S.I. Optimizacija processov proizvodstva kuznechnyh slitkov dlja pokovok otvetstvennogo naznachenija s ispol'zovaniem SAPR-tehnologij. Diss. dokt. tekhn. nauk [Optimized CAD-based forging ingot production process for heavy-duty forgings. Doctoral dissertation]. Volgograd, 1991. 372 p. (In Russ.)

12. Shamrey V.A. Issledovanie slitkov s zaholozhennoj verhnej chast'ju i ih ispol'zovanie dlja proizvodstva polyh pokovok. Diss. cand. tekhn. nauk [A study of chilled top ingots and hollow forgings produced from chilled top ingots. Ph.D. dissertation]. Moscow: TsNIICHERMET, 2007. 146 p. (In Russ.)

13. Shamrey V.A., Zhulyev S.I. A new shape of forging ingots designed for hollow forged products. Metallurg [Metallurgist], 2007, no. 11, pp. 54–57. (In Russ.)

14. MetMash LLC. R&D report: Designing a forging ingot mold and a teeming technology. Led by S.I. Zhulyev. Volgograd, 2007, 106 p. (In Russ.)

15. Kolodkin M.V. Optimizacija teplovoj raboty kuznechnyh slitkov dlja proizvodstva polyh izdelij s uluchshennymi tehniko-jekonomicheskimi pokazateljami. Diss. cand. tekhn. nauk [Optimized thermal performance of forging ingots intended for the manufacture of hollow products with enhanced performance indicators. Ph.D. dissertation]. Moscow: TsNIITMASH, 2010. 140 p. (In Russ.)

16. Zyuban N.A., Rutskii D.V., Galkin A.N., Gamanyuk S.B., Kosova E.A., Puzikov A.Ya. Model' izlozhnicy dlja issledovanija processa kristallizacii slitkov [A model mold to study ingot solidification]. Patent RF, no. 135551, 2013. (In Russ.)

17. Zyuban N.A., Rutskii D.V., Galkin A.N., Gamanyuk S.B., Kosova Ye.A., Puzikov A.Ya. Model' izlozhnicy dlja issledovanija processa kristallizacii slitkov [A model mold to study ingot solidification]. Patent RF, no. 141550, 2014. (In Russ.)

18. Eldarkhanov A.S., Efimov V.A., Nuradinov A.S. Processy formirovanija otlivok i ih modelirovanie [Casting formation processes and their modeling]. Moscow: Mashinostroyeniye, 2001, 208 p. (In Russ.)

19. Bagmutov V.P., Zakharov I.N., Zyuban N.A., Rutskii D.V., Gamanyuk S.B. Sistema komp'juternogo modelirovanija «Crystal» [The Crystal computer simulation software]. State registration certificate for a computer application, no. 2013613206, 2013. (In Russ.)

20. Rutskii D.V. Issledovanie himicheskoj neodnorodnosti kuznechnyh slitkov dlja krupnogabaritnyh zagotovok tjazhelogo mashinostroenija. Diss. cand. tekhn. nauk [Investigation of the chemical heterogeneity of forging ingots intended for heavy engineering applications. Ph.D. dissertation]. Moscow: TsNIITMASH, 2006. 134 p. (In Russ.)

21. Galkin A.N., Zyuban N.A., Rutskii D.V., Gamanuyk S.B., Puzikov A.Ya., Firsenko V.V. The effect of a chilled top on the solidification conditions in steel ingots and the quality of resultant forgings. Metallurg [Metallurgist], 2013, no. 3, pp. 54–59. (In Russ.)