ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance): Many thousands of high-cost state diagrams show how different components interact at different concentrations and different temperatures. But also such diagrams highlight the metallographic structure which has no customer value. ("Constitution of Binary Alloys" is the name of the most famous reference books of state diagrams by Hansen, Anderko, Elliott and Schank). The lines of state diagrams are concentration dependences of temperature-defined crystallization and recrystallization intervals. The change of the nature of such intervals is a principal indication of congruently and incongruently melting phases, i.e. σ-phase-like compounds, which are peculiar not in terms of their structure, but rather in terms of their unique useful or harmful properties. We believe that identifying a relationship between state diagrams and abnormal properties of industrial alloys (such as steel, silumin, duralumin) is a matter of great relevance. Objectives: The study aims to establish a relationship between the abnormal properties of binary alloys (such as steel, duralumin, silumin) and the state diagram, or the qualitative change of the crystallization interval. (The qualitative change of the temperature-defined crystallization interval (КИΔ LS, where L is a liquidus, S is a solidus, ΔLS is a difference between the L and S temperatures) takes place as the concentration of the second component rises (or falls) in the eutectic point, at the ends of the eutectic or peritectic horizontals, and close to the points where the liquidus or solidus curve bends if the corresponding solidus or liquidus demonstrates a monotonous curve. Methods Applied: The study is based on established (objective) data showing the relationship between the properties of binary systems (Al – Si, Fe – C, Cu – Al) and the existing phase diagrams. Originality: The abnormal properties of silumins, steels and duralumins may be related to the intermediate phases ~ Al11Si, Al98,5Si1,5, Al7Si, AlSi6, Fe24C, Fe42C, Al41Cu9, Al49Cu, Cu4Al и Cu7Al3 located  close to the qualitative change points within the solidification range or the solid-state transformation range. Practical Relevance: Allowing for the above phases makes the state diagrams useful in practical terms and helps resolve the contradiction expressed by A.A. Bochvar: "The unambiguous relationship between the composition and the properties doesn't appear to exist at all".

Keywords

Liquidus, solidus, eutecticum, peritectic, intermediate phase.

Karen Yu. Shakhnazarov – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor Saint-Petersburg Mining University. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: orcid.org/0000-0001-7501-6590

1. Bochvar A.A. On the dependence of mechanical properties of alloys on their composition and structure. Izvestiya Akademii nauk SSSR Otdelenie tekhnicheskikh nauk [Bulletin of the USSR Academy of Sciences, Engineering Sciences Section], 1946, no. 5, pp. 743-752. (In Russ.)

2. Kornilov I.I. Fiziko-khimicheskie osnovy zharoprochnosti splavov [The physical and chemical nature of heat-resistant alloys]. Moscow: Publishing house of the USSR Academy of Sciences, 1961, 516 p. (In Russ.)

3. Belyaev N.I., Gudtsov N.T. A review of theoretical studies and applied research seeking to define the elastic limit. Zhurnal Russkogo Metallurgicheskogo Obshchestva [The Russian Metallurgical Society Journal], 1914, P. 1, no. 3, pp. 375-414. (In Russ.)

4. Gudremon E. Special steels. Moscow: Metallurgizdat, 1959, vol. 1, 952 p. (In Russ.)

5. Obergoffer P. Technical iron. Moscow: Metallurgizdat, 1940, 535 p.

6. Vol A.E., Kagan I.K. The structure and properties of binary systems: Four Volume Set. Moscow: Nauka, 1976, vol. 3, 814 p. (In Russ.)

7. Shank F.A. Structures of binary alloys. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1973, 760 p. (In Russ.)

8. Kurnakov N.S. Selecta: Three Volume Set. Moscow: Publish-ing house of the USSR Academy of Sciences, 1961, vol. 2, 611 p. (In Russ.)

9. Hansen M. Structures of binary alloys. Leningrad, Moscow: Metallurgizdat, 1941, vol. 1, 640 p. (In Russ.)

10. Mes’kin V.S. Ferromagnetic alloys and their properties. Len-ingrad, Moscow: ONTI NKTP, 1937, 791 p. (In Russ.)

11. Baum B.A., Hasin G.A., Tyagunov G.V., Klimenkov E.A, Bazin Yu.A., Kovalenko L.V., Mikhaylov V.B, Raspopova G.A. Liquid steel. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1984, 208 p. (In Russ.)

12. Petrov D.A. Issues of the theory of aluminium alloys. Moscow: Metallurgizdat, 1951, 256 p. (In Russ.)

13. Bochvar A.A. Materials Science. Moscow: Metallurgizdat, 1956, 495 p. (In Russ.)

14. Krushenko G.G., Shpakov V. I., Nikitin V. I., Torshilova S.I. On some features of the structure-sensitive characteristics of Al–Si alloys. Izvestiya Akademii nauk SSSR. Metally [Bulletin of the USSR Academy of Sciences. Metals], 1977, no. 4, pp. 204-207.

15. Vol A.E. The structure and properties of binary systems: Four Volume Set. Moscow: Fizmatgiz, 1959, vol. 1, 755 p. (In Russ.)

16. Vertman A.A., Samarin A.M. Svoistva rasplavov zheleza [The properties of iron melts]. Moscow: Nauka, 1969, 280 p.

17. Bochvar A.A., Novikov I.I. On the solid-liquid state of alloys during their crystallization. Izvestiya Akademii nauk SSSR Otdelenie tekhnicheskikh nauk [Bulletin of the USSR Academy of Sciences, Engineering Sciences Section], 1952, no. 2, pp. 217-224.

18. Mondolfo L.F. The structure and properties of aluminium al-loys. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1979, 640 p. (In Russ.)

19. Savitsky E.M. The effect of temperature on the mechanical properties of metals and alloys. M.: Publishing house of the USSR Academy of Sciences, 1957, 294 p. (In Russ.)

20. Anosov V.Ya., Pogodin S.A. Osnovnye nachala fiziko-khimicheskogo analiza Moscow, Leningrad: Publishing house of the USSR Academy of Sciences, 1947, 876 p. (In Russ.)

21. Elansky G.N. Stroenie i svoistva metallicheskikh rasplavov [The structure and properties of melts]. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1991, 160 p.

22. Moroz L.S. The fine structure and strength of steel. Moscow: Metallurgizdat, 1957, 159 p. (In Russ.)

23. Samarin A.M., Fedotov S.G., Fedotov I.P., Sinodova E.P. The structure and properties of iron carbon alloys. Metallovedenie: materialy simpoziuma po metallurgii i metallovedeniyu, posvyashchennogo stoletiyu otkrytiya D.K. Chernovym po-limorfizma zheleza [Materials science: The proceedings of the conference on metallurgy and materials science devoted to the 100th anniversary of D.K.Chernov’s discovery of iron pol-ymorphism]. Moscow: Nauka, 1971, pp. 231-235. (In Russ.)

24. Saldau P.Ya. Metod elektroprovodnosti pri vysokikh tempera-turakh [The metod of conductivity at high temperatures]. Mos-cow, Leningrad: Publishing house of the USSR Academy of Sciences, 1952, 207 p. (In Russ.)

25. Ivanova V.S., Terentyev V. F. The physical nature and laws of destruction. Metallovedenie: materialy simpoziuma po metallurgii i metallovedeniyu, posvyashchennogo stoletiyu otkrytiya D.K. Chernovym polimorfizma zheleza [Materials science: The proceedings of the conference on metallurgy and materials science devoted to the 100th anniversary of D.K.Chernov’s discovery of iron polymorphism]. Moscow: Nauka, 1971, pp. 231-235. (In Russ.)

26. Arsentyev P.P., Koledov L.A. Metallicheskie rasplavy i ikh svoistva [Melts and their properties]. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1976, 376 p. (In Russ.)

27. Zakharov A.M. Diagrammy sostoyaniya dvoinykh i troinykh system [State diagrams of binary and three-component sys-tems]. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1990, 240 p. (In Russ.)

28. Livshits B.G. Metallografiya [Metallography]. Moscow: Metal-lurgiya, 1990, 236 p. (In Russ.)

29. Kornilov I.I. The current status and prospective research in the field of metallides. Metallovedenie: materialy simpoziuma po metallurgii i metallovedeniyu, posvyashchennogo stoletiyu otkrytiya D.K. Chernovym polimorfizma zheleza [Materials science: The proceedings of the conference on metallurgy and materials science devoted to the 100th anniversary of D.K.Chernov’s discovery of iron polymorphism]. Moscow: Nauka, 1971, pp. 246-257.

30. Korol’kov A.M. Liteynye svoistva metallov i splavov [The cast-ing properties of metals and alloys]. Moscow: Nauka, 1967, 195 p. (In Russ.)