ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

A performance and specific energy calculation procedure has been developed for diamond cutting machines used for the mining of natural stone blocks. The calculations are based on the natural stone diamond cutting theory according to which the stone cutting machine performance can be determined by the rated drive power of the cutting tool and by the specific energy of the tool-rock interaction. The specific energy can be estimated either through experiment or analytically. The work offers an analytical method of determining the specific energy of the rock surface destruction process based on energy consumption and ratios which are fractions of the total specific energy used for rock destruction, the tool and the friction between the rock and the tool. The energy capacity of the rock surface destruction process and its percentage ratio of the total energy consumption can only be determined through calculations which do not allow for friction. The energy capacity of the rock is described by the surface contact hardness which is Brinell hardness.

For a more accurate interaction between the diamond cutting tool and the rock when calculating the rock surface destruction factor, an active diamond grain principle was applied. The principle says that for front-end hole coverage a cutting tool should have a certain percentage of single-point diamonds. This helps to achieve an efficient rock destruction at the lowest percentage of single-point diamonds.

With the help of the data collected, it was possible to analytically estimate the specific energy and thus the diamond cutting performance depending on the cutting mode. Cutting at a constant specific energy has a number of advantages over cutting at a constant advance speed of the tool, which includes a higher performance and a lower specific energy. At the same time the energy based cutting mode leads to an increased specific tool consumption, which should be taken into account in each particular case by way of estimating and comparing the specific cutting cost.

The performance calculations performed were done for the cutting at a constant specific energy and followed two different patterns. In the first instance the specific cutting performance was estimated analytically based on the proposed procedure. And in the second instance the specific cutting performance was calculated based on the experimental data. Comparison of the two outcomes showed a discrepancy of no more than 10%, which means that the procedure developed can be recommended as a comprehensive method of estimating the performance of diamond cutting machines used to cut stone blocks of differing hardness.

Keywords

Performance, diamond cutting machine, specific energy, energy capacity, cutting mode.

Pershin Gennadiy Daltonovitch – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Mag-nitogorsk, Russia.

Ulyakov Maxim Sergeevich – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Pshenichnaya Elena Gennadievna – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Gabbasov Bulat Maratovich – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

1. Pershin G. D., Gurov M. Iu., Chebotaryov G. I. Rope saws. Obosnovanie konstruktivnykh parametrov i rezhimov [Justifi-cation of design parameters and operating modes]. Mono-graph. Magnitogorsk: Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University. 2006, 152 p.

2. Pershin G. D., Mitin A.N. Geometry of a diamond cutting tool contact surface model. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudar-stvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2013, no. 1 (41), pp. 10-13.

3. Akhmetshin A.M. An analytical method to determine the surface breakage resistance of rock. Dobycha, obrabotka i primenenie prirodnogo kamnya [Extraction, processing and application of natural stone]. Scientific papers. Magnitogorsk: MGTU. 2004, pp. 199-203.

4. Pershin G. D., Ulyakov M. S. Analyzing the effect of operating modes of rope saws on natural stone severance performance. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2014, no. 4 (48), pp. 14-21.

5. Akopyan R. V., Lusinyan K.G. A study of the effect of cutting modes on the diamond wear of diamond cutting tools. Izuchenie prirodnykh kamennykh materialov i silikatnogo syrya, razrabotka effektivnoy tekhniki i tekhnologii proizvod-stva [Study of natural stones and silicate raw materials, de-velopment of efficient machinery and process technology]. Scientific papers. Yerevan: NIIKS. 1983, pp. 40-49.

6. Levitsky V. G., Sobolevsky R. V. Justification of optimum granite extraction parameters based on cleavage. Vostochno-Evropeyskii zhurnal peredovykh tekhnologii [East European Journal of Advanced Technologies]. 2014, vol. 3, no. 3 (69), pp. 48-52.