ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

This article presents results of research aimed at justifying an underground mining technique used to mine medium width pitching ore bodies and ensuring a drastic loss reduction in mining a unique deposit of quartz. The analysis of the theory and practice of pitching ore body mining helped establish that the drastic reduction in quartz losses can be achieved through application of a Combined Mining System (CMS) encompassing an open stoping system used for extracting the main chamber deposits and an ore and country rock caving system used for extracting interchamber pillars (ICP). Different types of CMS can be grouped by the shape of ICP (rectangular or trapezoidal), which is the key characteristic, and by ICP recovery conditions (under the hanging wall or under loose rock), which is an additional characteristic. Based on the grouping, seven efficient versions of CMS have been designed that are also distinguished by the ICP stoping method (breakage, ore drawing, stoping sequence) and by the reclamation method (artificial or uncontrolled caving of hanging walls) and procedure (before or after ICP breakage). A technique has been developed to determine the loss and dilution of quartz which uses the width and incidence of the quartz body and the width of chambers and ICPs as basic arguments. This technique helps identify the best process parameters depending on the above factors. It was determined that the most efficient types of CMS, i.e. CMSs with wider chambers, trapezoidal yield ICPs mined under the hanging wall or artificially caved rock), ensure a loss reduction of 6 to 11%.

Keywords

Quartz deposit, underground mining technique, pitching ore body, losses and dilution, combined mining system.

Sokolov Igor Vladimirovich – D.Sc. (Eng.), Head of the laboratory of underground geotechnology of the Institute of Mining UB RAS, Ekaterinburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Baranovsky Kirill Vasilievich – Researcher at the laboratory of underground geotechnology of the Institute of Mining UB RAS, Ekaterinburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

1. Sokolov I.V., Antipin Iu.G., Baranovskii K.V. Exploring the underground mining technology used to mine the medium width pitching ore body of the Kyshtym granular quartz depos-it. Izvestiya vuzov. Gornyi zhurnal [Proceedings of Russian Universities. Mining Journal]. 2013, no. 2, pp. 17-22.

2. Sokolov I.V., Kornilkov S.V., Sashurin A.D. et al. On the creation of a scientific and technological basis for the introduction of a comprehensive geotechnology of extraction and processing of high grade quartz. Gornyi zhurnal [Mining Journal]. 2014, no. 12, pp. 44-48.

3. Kalmykov V.N., Rylnikova M.V., Mannanov R.Sh., Emelyanenko E.A. Searching for sustainable solutions for mining of metasomatically altered deposits. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskii byulleten’ [Mining analytical bulletin]. 2001, no. 4, pp.187-193.

4. Sokolov I.V., Smirnov A.A., Antipin Iu.G. et al. Development and application of underground geotechnology using mobile mining machines in Ural region mines. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskii byulleten’. №4. Problemy nedropolzovaniya [Mining analytical bulletin. No. 4. Issues of subsoil manage-ment]. 2013, pp. 66-74.

5. Zakusin G.A. Increasing the mining efficiency of medium width steeply dipping iron ore bodies. Aftoreferat dissertatsii kandidata tekhnicheskikh nauk [Extended abstract of a PhD dissertation]. Sverdlovsk: SGI. 1984, 24 p.

6. Volkov Iu.V., Sokolov I.V., Kamaev V.D. Vybor sistem pod-zemnoy razrabotki rudnykh mestorozhdenii Urala [Selection of underground mining systems for iron ore deposits of the Urals region]. Ekaterinburg: The Urals Branch of the Russian Acad-emy of Sciences. 2002, 124 p.

7. Sokolov I.V., Smirnov A.A., Antipin Iu.G., Sokolov R.I. Effect of recovery indicators on iron ore underground mining effi-ciency. Izvestiya vuzov. Gornyi zhurnal [Proceedings of Rus-sian Universities. Mining Journal]. 2012, no. 3, pp. 4-11.

8. Baranovsky K.V. Effect of geological factors on the underground mining efficiency of medium width steeply dipping bodies. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskii byulleten’. Otd. vyp. #11. Problemy nedropol’zovaniya [Mining analytical bulletin. No.11. Issues of subsoil management]. 2011, pp. 288-293.

9. Standard regulations on solid minerals losses in mining. Sbornik rukovodyashchikh materialov po okhrane nedr. Gos-gortekhnadzor SSSR [A collection of regulations on the conservation of mineral resources. USSR Committee for Mining and Industrial Safety Supervision]. Moscow: Nedra. 1973, 154 p.

10. Guidelines on the definition, regulation and monitoring of ore losses and dilution at the mines of the USSR Ministry of Non-Ferrous Metals Industry. Sbornik instruktivnykh materialov po okhrane i ratsional’nomu ispol’zovaniyu poleznykh iskopaemykh. MTcM SSSR [A collection of guidelines on the conservation and sustainable utilization of mineral resources. USSR Ministry of Non-Ferrous Metals Industry]. Moscow: Nedra, 1977.

11. Guidelines on the definition, monitoring and regulation of ore losses at iron, manganese and chromite ore mines of the USSR Ministry of Ferrous Metals Industry. VIOGEM, Belgorod, 1975.

12. Pravila okhrany nedr [Mineral resources conservation rules] (PB 07-601-03). Approved by Gosgortekhnadzor of Russia on 18 June 2003. GUP NTTc. Issue 11, Moscow, 2003.