ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

An ever growing application of ripping techniques in surface mining is due to economic factors and significantly stricter environmental and social regulations which restrict drilling and blasting operations. Surface miners and milling machines would be the most efficient machinery for explosive-free mining. As an open pit is mined out and the haul distances increase, it becomes reasonable to use a combined conveying system comprising different conveyor structures. This article describes an enhanced conveying technology involving milling machines, wheel scrapers, and conveyors. A milling machine rips rock and sends it to an open trench. A wheel scraper which follows the milling machine picks up the ripped rock from the trench. Wheel scrapers do all the loading and conveying and require no auxiliary equipment, thus increasing the mining efficiency. In this technology wheel scrapers perform a collecting and conveying job delivering rock from the pit to a receiver bin of the main conveyor. The proposed design of a wheel scraper includes a feed chute and a scraper used as a loading aid to help extract small pieces of loose rock. A feed chute helps convey rock to the shovel of a wheel scraper. Once the front area of the shovel is filled up with rock, a scraper activates moving rock to the rear area of the shovel. The enhanced mining technology will help reduce the extraction and conveying costs and thus improve overall mining efficiency.

Keywords

Ripping, rock mass, milling machine, wheel scraper, loading aid, conveyor.

Cheban Anton Yurievich – Senior Researcher, Assosiate Professor, Mining Institute of the Far Eastern branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Khabarovsk, Russia. Phone: +7(4212) 32-79-27. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

1. Pichler M., Pashkevich Iu.B. Wirtgen Surface Miner in India. Experience of selective coal mining. Gornaya promyshlennost' [Mining industry]. 2003, no. 4, pp. 40-47.

2. Boutkevitch G.R. Explosive and explosive-free methods of rock destruction at quarries. Stroitel'nye materialy [Construc-tion Materials]. 2011, no. 2, pp. 33-34.

3. Cheban A.Iu., Sekisov G.V., Khrunina N.P., Shemyakin S.A. Upgrading continuous and cyclic excavation and transporta-tion during open-pit mining. Evroaziatskoe gornoe delo [Eura-sian mining]. 2014, no. 1, pp. 22-24.

4. Mancini K.R., Mazmanian S.A. Improving the efficiency of the mechanical loosening of rocks. Gornyi zhurnal [Mining Jour-nal]. 1998, no. 1, pp. 39-43.

5. Anistratov K.Iu. Explosive-free excavation of rock with the help of Liebherr excavators at construction materials quarries. Gornaya promyshlennost' [Mining industry]. 1998, no. 2, pp. 41-45.

6. Pashkevich Iu.B. The use of powerful Krupp hydraulic ham-mers at an explosive-free mining site solve environmental and product quality issues. Gornaya promyshlennost' [Mining in-dustry]. 1997, no. 2, pp. 45-48.

7. Ugay S.M., Golokhvast K.S., Pogotovkina N.S., Miheev E.M., Cheban A.Yu. Assessment of the impact of a compressed gas vehicle on the environment // Life Science Journal. 2014. no. 11. pp. 515-517.

8. Moskalenko T.V., Voronina E.V. Mining waste management as an element of sustainable development of the Republic of Sakha (Yakutiya). Vestnik Irkutskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta [Bulletin of Irkutsk State Tech-nical University]. 2014, no. 10, pp. 98-102.

9. Cheban A.Iu., Rasscazov I.Iu., Litvintsev V.S. Analyzing the machinery fleet of mining enterprises of the Amur Region. Markshejderija i nedropol'zovanie [Mine surveying and subsoil management]. 2012, no. 2, pp. 41-50.

10. Ermakov S.A., Gavrilov V.L., Khosroev D.V., Hoyutanov E.A. Improving the quality of coal through selective mining of the complex Elga coal deposit. Nauka i obrazovanie [Science and education]. 2012, no. 1, pp. 24-29.

11. Cheban A.Iu. Excavation machinery used at the coal mines of the South of the Far Eastern region. Vestnik Tikhookeanskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta [Bulletin of Pacific National University]. 2013, no. 3 (30), pp. 081-084.

12. Yakovlev V.L. Potential solutions for continuous and cyclic operations at deep pits. Gornyi zhurnal [Mining Journal]. 2003, no. 4-5, pp. 51-56.

13. Gavrishev S.E., Burmistrov K.V., Kidyaev V.A. Exploiting the advantages of combined mining transportation in combined open and underground mining. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. No-sova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical Univer-sity]. 2010, no. 3, pp. 5-7.

14. Gavrishev S.E., Kalmykov V.N., Burmistrov K.V., Tomilina N.G., Zalyadnov V.Yu. Assessment of the performance of pe-rimeter deposit opening schemes with the use of mine lifts. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2014, no. 1, pp. 7–10.

15. Osadchy V.I., Maulyanbaev T.I., Kuzmin S.L. Engineering a container exchange technique at lifting points. Vestnik Magni-togorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Tech-nical University]. 2013, no. 2, pp. 16–18.