ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

The paper is devoted to the results of the scientific research around development of the system for computer-aided design of secondary cooling sections of the continuous casting machine. Results of the theoretical analysis showed the existence of sophisticated mathematical models for describing heat state of bodies which are not fully employed for solving design tasks in metallurgy. The mathematical model of the slab heat state and formalized description of two requirements to temperature profile across the slab surface form the basis of the developed system. The authors propose the optimization problem formulation for the search of set of variable-length vectors with coordinates that define nozzle positions in each nozzle row. Solving the optimization problem involves iterative search of the optimal solution by solving heat equation with different input conditions. The paper shows the structure of the computer-aided design system for calculating optimal nozzle layout in the secondary cooling sections and describes three main scenarios of interaction between user and system. Analysis of the particular nozzle layout obtained with help of the system is provided. The results show that this layout provides even heat removal across the slab surface. Search of the optimal placement of nozzles in one nozzle row require around 300 iterations of calculations. Calculation of the whole layout takes about 2 hours.

Keywords

Computer-aided design, continuous casting machine, desing of secondary cooling sections, optimal nozzle layout.

Safonov Dmitry Sergeevich – Senior software engineer, Compass Plus, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Logunova Oksana Sergeevna – D.Sc. (Eng.), Head of the Chair «Computer Engineering and Programming», Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Russia. Phone: 8 (3519) 22-03-17. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Bulanov L.V., Korzunun L.G. Mashiny nepreryvnogo litiya zagotovok [Continious casting machines]. Ural centre of PR and commercial “Marat”, Ekaterinburg, 2004.

2. Vdovin K.N., Tochilkin V.V., Yachikov I.M. Nepreryvnaya razliv-ka stali [Continious casting of steel]. Magnitogorsk, Magnitogorsk state technical university, 2012.

3. Vdovin K.N., Pozin A.E., Petrov I.E., Podosyan A.A., Tochilkin V.V. Ingot contact with the broad mold walls in continuous slab-casting machines. Steel in Translation, 2012, no 43(7), pp. 452-454.

4. Huang X., Thomas B. Modeling of steel grade transition in continuous slab casting processes. Metallurgical Transactions B, no 24(2), pp. 379-393.

5. Berdnikov S.N., Pozin A.E., Podosyan A.A., Berdnikov A.S., Mokhov V.A., Vdovin K.N. (2012) Improving narrow mold walls in continuous slab-casting machines. Steel in Translation, 2012, no 42(2), pp. 180-182

6. Zhou X. Heat transfer during spray water-cooling using steady experiment. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana-Champaign, 2009.

7. Li C. Thermomechanical Finite-Element Model of Shell Behav-ior in Continuous Casting of Steel. Metallurgical and materials transactions, 2004, no 35B, pp. 57-60.

8. Zhang Q. A Heat Transfer and Solidification Model of Continu-ous Cast. Advanced Materials Research, 2010, pp. 154-155.

9. Horsky J, Raudensky M. Measurement of heat transfer characteristics of secondary cooling in continuous casting, Hradec nad Moravici, 2005, pp. 23-31.

10. Shen H, Hardin R, MacKenzie R et al. Simulation Using Realis-tic Spray Cooling for the Continuous Casting of Multi-component Steel. Journal of Materials Science and Technology, 2002, no. 18, pp. 123-128.

11. Zhang X, Jiang Z, Tieu A et al. Analysis of surface tempera-ture and thermal stress field of slab continuous casting. Advanced Materials Research, 2009, pp. 554–559.

12. Tutarova V.D., Logunova O.S. Analysis of the surface temperature of continuously cast ingot beyond the zones of air cooling. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 2002, no. 45(22), pp. 4381–4399.

13. Logunova O.S., Matsko I.I., Safonov D.S. Thermal state simulation of the infinite length body taking into account dynamic boundary conditions of the third kind. Bull South-Ural State Univ Math Model Program Ser, 2012, no. 27, pp. 74–85

14. Nozaki T., Matsuno J., Murata K., Ooi H., Kodama M. A secondary cooling pattern for preventing surface cracks of continuous casting slab. Trans. Iron Steel Inst. Jpn, 1978, no. 18(6), pp. 330-338.

15. Boyle R, Frick J. Implementation of modern secondary cooling technology in existing casters. Materials of the 3rd Internation conference on Continuous Casting if Steel in Developing Countries, Beijing, 2004.

16. Boyle R, Frick J. New Secondary Cooling Systems and Practic-es: Nozzles and Cooling Solutions for Continuous Casting of Steel, Lehler, 2012, pp. 33–44

17. Hardin R., Liu K., Kapoor A. et. al. Transient Simulation and Dynamic Spray Cooling Control Model for Continuous Steel Casting. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 2003, no. 34B, pp. 297–306

18. El-Bealy M., Leskinen N., Fredriksson H. Simulation of Cooling Conditions in Secondary Cooling Zones in Continuous Casting Process. Ironmaking and Steelmaking, 1995, no. 3(22), pp. 246–255.

19. Tutarova V.D., Safonov D.S., Shapovalov A.N. Density distri-bution of the spray from flat spray nozzles in the secondary-cooling zone of a continuous caster. Metallurgist, 2012, no. 56(5-6), pp. 438-442

20. Weizhong D.A. Generalized Peaceman–Rachford ADI Scheme for Solving Two-Dimensional Parabolic Differential Equations. Journal of Scientific Computing, 1997, no. 12, pp. 353–360

21. Logunova O.S. Programmnoe obespechenie dlya inter-aktivnogo proektirovaniya i otsenki raboty zon vtorichnogo okhlazgdeniya MNLZ [Software for interactive design and evaluation of the work of zones secondary cooling sections in continuous casting machines]. Bull South-Ural State Univ Computer Technologies, Automatic Control & Radioelectronics, 2009, no. 9, pp. 20-23

22. Logunova O.S. Internal-defect formation and the thermal state of continuous-cast billet. Steel in Translation, 2008, no. 38(10), pp. 849-852.

23. Logunova O.S., Matsko I.I., Posohov I.A., Luk’ynov S.I. Automatic system for intelligent support of continuous cast billet production control processes. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 2014, no. 74(9), pp. 1407 – 1418.

24. Boyle R. Audits of secondary cooling systems in existing cast-ers as a method to enhance product quality and productivi-ty. News of the iron industry abroad, 2006, no. 5, pp. 35-38

25. Kuisong S., GuanguangY., Jiyuan Z. Study of the relationship between the cooling condition in width and the centerline segregation of the slab. News of the iron industry abroad, 2010, no. 4, pp. 40–42.

26. Kartashov L.P., Zubkova T.M. Parametricheskij i strukturnyj sintez tekhnologicheskih ob’ektov na osnove sistemnogo podhoda i matematicheskogo modelirovaniya [Parametrical and structural synthesis of technological objects on the basis of system approach and mathematical modeling]. UrO RAN, Ekaterinburg, 2009.

27. Resheniya v oblasti nepreryvnogo litya ploskih zagotovok [Solutions in the field of continuous molding of flat slabs]: – URL: http://www.industry.siemens.com/datapool/industry/industrysolutions/metals/simetal/ru/Continuous-Slab-Casting-Solutions-ru.pdf

28. Logunova O.S. Programmnoe obespechenie issledovaniya novykh konstruktsij zon vtorichnoho okhlazhdeniya [Software for research of the new constractions or secondary cooling]. Programmnye produkty i sistemy [Software products and systems], 2008, no. 3: 76 – 79.

29. Borisov V.T. Teoriya dvukhfaznoi zony metallicheskogo slitka [Theory of a two-phase zone of a metal slab]. Moscow: Metallurgiya [Metallurgy], 1987.

30. Borisov V.T., Kolyadina N.Y., Matveev Y.Z. (1980) Metod opredeleniya pronitsaemosti dvukhfaznoi zony zatverdevayuschego splava [Method of determination of permeability of a two-phase zone in the hardening alloy] Zavodskaya laboratoriya [Plant laboratory], 1980, no. 10, pp. 911 – 915.

31. Tutarova V.D., Shapovalov A.N., Safonov D.S. Eksperimental-nye issledovaniya temperatury poverkhnosti nepreryvnoi slyabovoi zagotovki.[Experimental researches of the surface temperature of the continuous casting slab]. Isvestiya VUSov. Chernaya metallurgiya [News of higher institutions. Iron industry], 2012, no. 3, pp. 40–42.