ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2023-21-3-27-41

Abstract

This research was carried out to determine the most promising ways of improving thickening and dewatering of coal flotation tailings. It has been shown that the significance of this topic is associated with a trend towards increasing the volume of coal beneficiation by flotation, and the content of fine particles of rock minerals, including clay minerals, which, in turn, leads to an increase in flotation tailings and the difficulty of their dewatering. On the other hand, the requirements for environmental protection and rational use of natural resources make it feasible to operate coal preparation plants with a closed water-sludge cycle, which provides clarified clean water for reuse at the coal preparation plant, and a solid phase in the form of a dewatered cake for subsequent transportation and storage in a dry state. This paper provides information on the composition and physical and chemical properties of coal flotation tailings, influencing the performance of thickening and dewatering processes. The authors described a thickening process of suspensions of flotation tailings in thickeners: radial, cylindrical-conical, including paste, and lamella thickeners. The authors showed efficiency of radial thickeners with a fluidized bed and a sludge densifier for producing the overflow with minimum solids content and highly concentrated underflow. The article contains information on dewatering of coal flotation tailings: by filtration on belt and chamber press filters, vacuum filters, and solid bowl centrifuges. The authors mentioned the advantages and disadvantages of the said dewatering technologies and showed that the promising methods of intensifying the processes of thickening and dewatering of flotation tailings are a combined application of coagulants and flocculants, an optimized flow rate of flocculants and the mode of their mixing with a suspension, including fractional dosing, and recycling of some overflow during thickening.

Keywords

coal flotation tailings, thickening; dewatering; thickeners; press filters; flocculation

For citation

Lavrinenko A.A., Golberg G.Yu. Thickening and Dewatering of Coal Flotation Tailings. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2023, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 27-41. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2023-21-3-27-41

Anatoly A. Lavrinenko – DrSc (Eng.), Chief Researcher, Head of the Laboratory, Melnikov Institute of Comprehensive Exploitation of Mineral Resources, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Grigory Yu. Golberg – DrSc (Eng.), Lead Researcher, Melnikov Institute of Comprehensive Exploitation of Mineral Resources, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

1. Khamzina Т.А. Flotation of coal sludge. Globus [Globe]. 2022;(4(73)):158-159. (In Russ.)

2. Andreeva Т.А. Production waste in the coal industry. X Vserossiiskaya nauchno-prakticheskaya konferentsia molodykh uchenykh "Rossiya molodaya" [The 10th All-Russian Scientific and Practical Conference of Young Scientists Young Russia]. Kemerovo: Gorbachev Kuzbass State Technical University, 2018, pp. 53301.1-53301.4. (In Russ.)

3. Chanturiya V.A., Molyavko A.R. Tekhnika i tekhnologiya obogashcheniya ugley. Spravochnoe posobie [Coal beneficiation process and equipment]. Moscow: Nauka, 1995, 622 p. (In Russ.)

4. Antipenko L.A. Tekhnologicheskie reglamenty obogatitelnykh fabrik Kuznetskogo basseina [Technological regulations for beneficiation plants of the Kuznetsk Basin]. Prokopevsk: Prokopevsk Polygraphic Production Association, 2007, 463 p. (In Russ.)

5. Rankine R., Pacheco M., Sivakugan N. Underground mining with backfills. Soils and Rocks. 2007;30(2): 93-101.

6. Taha Y., Benzaazoua M., Hakkou R., Mansori M. Coal mine wastes recycling for coal recovery and eco-friendly bricks production. Minerals Engineering. 2017;107:123-138.

7. Lavrinenko A.A., Svechnikova N.Yu., Konovnitsyna N.S., Igumensheva E.A., Kuklina O.V., Khasanzyanova A.I. Utilization of bituminous coal flotation wastes in manufacturing of ceramic bricks. Khimiya tverdogo topliva [Solid Fuel Chemistry]. 2018;(6):64-68. (In Russ.)

8. Shpirt M.Ya., Artemiev V.B., Silyutin S.A. Ispolzovanie tverdykh otkhodov dobychi i pererabotki ugley [Utilisation of solid wastes of coal mining and processing]. Moscow: Gornoe Delo, 2013, 431 p. (In Russ.)

9. Nunes K.G.P., Illi J.C., Dávila I.V.J., Feris L.A. Use of coal beneficiation tailings as solid sorbents in the treatment of nitrate contaminated real wastewater. Applied Water Science. 2020;10(4):14.

10. Oruç F., Sabah E. Effect of mixing conditions on flocculation performance of fine coal tailings. Proceedings of the 23rd International Mineral Processing Congress, 3-8 September 2006, Istanbul-Turkey. Istanbul: IMPC, 2006, pp. 1192-1197.

11. Malíková P., Thomas J., Chromíková J., Vidlář J., Kupka J. Innovation in dewatering process of flotation tailings by study of particle interaction in colloidal environment. Perspectives in Science. 2016;7:171-177.

12. Coal flotation. Available at: https://www.911 metallurgist.com/blog/coal-flotation. (Accessed on April 20, 2023).

13. Yaowen Xing, Xiahui Gui, Jiongtian Liu, Yijun Cao, Yu Lu. Effects of energy input on the laboratory column flotation of fine coal. Separation Science and Technology. 2015;50:2559-2567.

14. Golberg G.Yu., Vigdergauz V.E. Kinetic regulations in flocculation of fine-dispersed washed products: two mechanisms for micron and submicron particles. Journal of Mining Science. 2011;47(3):376-381.

15. Chorom M., Rengasamy P. Dispersion and zeta potential of pure clays as related to net particle charge under varying pH, electrolyte concentration and cation type. European Journal of Soil Science. 1995;46:657-665.

16. Kumar S., Bhattacharya S., Mandre N.R. Characterization and flocculation studies of fine coal tailings. Journal of the Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy. 2014;114(11):945-949.

17. Lavrinenko A.A., Golberg G.Yu., Palkin A.B., Radzhabov M.M. Modeling of a flocculation process of fine coal flotation tailings in a closed water circulation cycle. Voda: khimiya i ekologiya [Water: Chemistry and Ecology]. 2016;(12):22-28. (In Russ.)

18. De Kretser R., Scales P.J., Boger D.V. Improving clay-based tailings disposal: Case study on coal tailings. American Institute of Chemical Engineering Journal. 1996;43(7):1894-1903.

19. Sharma A., Goel P. Rheological properties of tailings materials. International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology. 2022;11(7):80-85.

20. Fellows C.M., Doherty W.O.S. Insights into bridging flocculation. Macromol. Symp. 2006;231:1-10.

21. Grima-Olmedo C., Butragueño-Muñoz J.A., Ramírez-Gómez A., Gómez-Limón Galindo D. Review of equipment for mine waste: from the conventional thickener to the deep cone for paste product. DYNA Ingenieria e Industria. 2015;90:359-365.

22. Schoenbrunn F.R. A short history of deep cone thickener development. Paste 2007. Proceedings of the Tenth International Seminar on Paste and Thickened Tailings. Perth: Australian Centre for Geomechanics, 2007, pp. 51-55.

23. Schoenbrunn F., Bach M., Miller M. The development of paste thickening and its application to the minerals industry; An industry review. BHM Berg-und Hüttenmännische Monatshefte. Zeitschrift für Rohstoffe, Geotechnik, Metallurgie, Werkstoffe, Maschinen-und Anlangentechnik. 2015;160(6):257-263.

24. Woodruff D., MacNamara L. Treatment of coal tailings. The coal handbook. Towards cleaner production. V. 1: Coal production. Ed. by D. Osborne. Woodhead Publishing Limited, 2013, 755 p.

25. Fernandez-Iglesias A., Correa A., Morton O., Laine J., Luiña R., Martinez G. Risk assessment methodology for paste and thickened tailings. Paste 2015: Proceedings of the 18th International Seminar on Paste and Thickened Tailings. Perth: Australian Centre for Geomechanics, 2015, pp. 167-180.

26. Paste thickening used for environmental recovery of mining tailings. Available at: www.vnedra.ru/ tehnologii/pastovoe-sgushhenie-dlya-ekologichnoj-ut-1542/ (Accessed on April 20, 2023).

27. Lamella thickeners. Available at: https://www.911 metallurgist.com/lamella-thickeners/ (Accessed on April 20, 2023).

28. Bauman A.V. Thickening and water circulation. Integrated solutions and know how. Available at: https://gmexp.ru/netcat_files/multifile/2382/Sguschenie_i_vodooborot.pdf (Accessed on April 20, 2023).

29. High capacity clarifier/thickeners. Available at: http://enviro-clear.com/clarifier-thickener/high-capacity/ (Accessed on April 20, 2023).

30. Singh B.K., Erdmann W. Das Entwässerung von Flotationsbergen mit einer Siebbandpresse. Glückauf. 1978;114(7):25-30.

31. Turchenko V.K., Baidal V.A. Tekhnologiya i oborudovanie dlya obogashcheniya ugley [Coal beneficiation technology and equipment]. Moscow: Nedra, 1995, 359 p. (In Russ.)

32. Godwin P., Jenson C., Park T. Dewatering fine coal tailings with recessed chamber or membrane plate filter presses. The 16th Australian Coal Preparation Conference, 2017, 15 p.

33. Installing chamber filter presses at beneficiation plants means compliance with the highest environmental standards. Available at: https://top-prom.ru/press-center/news/ustanovka_kamernyh_ filtrpressov_na_obogatitelnyh_fabrikah_eto_sledovanie_ vysochajshim_ekologicheskim_standartam_holding_topprom/ (Accessed on April 20, 2023).

34. Separating water from filter cakes: Russia witnesses a growing demand for filter presses. Available at: https://dprom.online/mtindustry/v-rossii-rastet-spros-na-filtr-pressy/ (Accessed on April 20, 2023).

35. Meiring S. Cake formation: three tailings filtration technologies using pressure. Paste 2021. The Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Paste, Thickened and Filtered. Perth: Australian Centre for Geomechanics, 2021, pp. 91-104.

36. Bruk O.L. Filtrovanie ugolnykh suspenzii [Filtration of coal suspensions]. Moscow: Nedra, 1978, 271 p. (In Russ.)

37. Hahn J., Bott R., Langeloh T. Economical dewatering of tailings for mine backfill with high performance disc filters. Mine Fill 2014. Perth: Australian Centre for Geomechanics, 2014, pp. 41-48.

38. CDF – a ceramic disk filter for dewatering concentrates with highly efficient filtering elements. Available at: http://www.ntcbakor.ru/kdf_rus.pdf (Accessed on April 20, 2023).

39. Borts M.A., Gupalo Yu.P. Obezvozhivanie khvostov flotatsii ugolnykh shlamov [Dewatering of coal sludge flotation tailings]. Moscow: Nedra, 1972, 143 p. (In Russ.)

40. Meiring S. Thickeners versus centrifuges – a coal tailings technical comparison. Paste 2015: Proceedings of the 18th International Seminar on Paste and Thickened Tailings. Perth: Australian Centre for Geomechanics, 2015, pp. 55-65.

41. Nguyen C.V., Nguyen A.V., Doi A., Dinh E., Nguyen T.V., Ejtemaei M., Osborne D. Advanced solid-liquid separation for dewatering fine coal tailings by combining chemical reagents and solid bowl centrifugation. Separation and Purification Technology. 2021;259(15): 118-172.

42. Linev B.I., Golberg G.Yu., Panfilov P.F. Efficiency of mixing suspensions with flocculants in static mixers. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskiy byulleten [Mining Informational and Analytical Bulletin]. Moscow: Moscow State Mining University, 2005, 429/12-05, 14 p. (In Russ.)

43. Lavrinenko A.A., Golberg G.Yu. Flow regime of mineral suspensions with preserved structure of flocs. Journal of Mining Science. 2019;(3):437-443.

44. Flocmaster-System. Operation Instructions. Inline-Mixer AT. Available at: https://www.yumpu.com/ en/document/view/7326243/inline-mixer-at-wwwjfknauerde-status-july-2008-jf-knauer-gmbh (Accessed on April 20, 2023).

45. Kachalova G.S. Coagulation and sorption treatment of wastewater. Voda i ekologiya: problemy i resheniya [Water and Ecology: Problems and Solutions]. 2019;(2(78)):32-39. (In Russ.)

46. Khazaie A., Mazarji M., Samali B. et al. A review on coagulation/flocculation in dewatering of coal slurry. Water. 2022;14(918):20.

47. Azopkov S.V. Kompleksnye titanosoderzhashchie koagulyanty: sintez i primenenie: avtoref. dis. … kand. tekhn. nauk [Integrated titanium-containing coagulants: synthesis and application. Extended abstract of the Ph.D. dissertation]. Moscow, 2023, 18 p.

48. Banisi S., Yahyaei M. Feed dilution-based design of a thickener for refuse slurry of a coal preparation plant. International Journal of Coal Preparation and Utilization. 2008;28(4):201-223.

49. High-rate thickener Metso Outotec. Available at: https://www.mogroup.com/ru/portfolio/high-rate-thickener/ (Accessed on April 20, 2023).

50. Separation of heterogeneous systems. Settling, settlers. Available at: https://www.muctr.ru/upload/ iblock/abe/Spring_14th_lecture.pdf (Accessed on April 20, 2023).

51. Gongcheng Li, Shulong Liu, Zengsheng Wen, Guolei Liu, Yu Cui, Yajian Shao. Effect of ultrasonic frequency on thickener performance. Advances in Materials Science and Engineering. 2021; Article ID 6624704, 12 p.

52. Beloglazov I.N., Golubev V.O., Tikhonov O.N., Kuukka Iu., Iaskeliainen E. Filtrovanie tekhnologicheskikh pulp [Filtration of process sludge]. Moscow: Ore and Metals, 2003, 320 p. (In Russ.)