ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2023-21-2-114-126

Abstract

The paper analyzes the tribotechnical properties of antifriction materials based on powder iron-copper-graphite alloys of various compositions depending on the heat treatment of the samples, the lubricant used and the influence of the composition of surface-active substances (surfactants) in lubricant compositions on the formation of intermediate structures of the lubricating film in the contact zone of friction pairs. Electron probing methods were used to study types of the intermediate structures (films), as well as the microstructure of the surface layers of iron-copper-graphite alloy samples. It has been shown that to improve the tribotechnical properties of powder alloys based on Fe-Cu-Gr and Fe-Br-Gr, it is appropriate to add solutions of carboxylic acids or other surfactants into lubricants. It has been established that breaking-in time of friction pairs “block – shaft” in case of using a mixture of I-40 oil and an alcohol solution of oleic acid as lubricants, for the iron-copper-graphite powder alloy samples with a porosity of 18-22% decreases by 4-6 times, and the friction coefficient decreases by 2.2-2.5 times, and the system goes into a wear-free operation mode. It has been established that quenching after sintering of iron-copper-graphite compositions containing over 3-5% Cu activates tribosynthesis of intermediate structures and self-organization in friction pairs. The authors determined the effect of the graphite concentration on kinetics of diffusion mass transfer of copper and on the coefficients of interdiffusion and in Fe-Cu-Gr powder alloys, and analyzed the percentage distribution of copper in interparticle contacts in the Fe-5%Cu alloy in various heat treatment options to determine the distribution of copper in sintered antifriction materials, predict their structure formation and properties of products made from them.

Keywords

friction unit, tribotechnical properties, tribosynthesis, iron-copper-graphite powder alloys, chemical composition, intermediate structures, lubricants, surfactants, carboxylic acids, diffusion mass transfer

For citation

Gasanov B.G., Azarenkov A.A., Kharchenko E.V., Panchvidze G.G. Influence of the Chemical Composition of Fe-Cu-Gr Powder Alloys and Lubricants on Diffusion Mass Transfer and Tribosynthesis of Intermediate Structures in Friction Units. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2023, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 114-126. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2023-21-2-114-126

Badrudin G. Gasanov – DrSc (Eng.), Professor, Platov South Russian State Polytechnic University (Novocherkassk Polytechnic Institute), Novocherkassk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0001-7610-4541

Andrey A. Azarenkov – PhD (Eng.), Associate Professor, Platov South Russian State Polytechnic University (Novocherkassk Polytechnic Institute), Novocherkassk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0003-0687-6751

Evgeniy V. Kharchenko – Senior Teacher, Platov South Russian State Polytechnic University (Novocherkassk Polytechnic Institute), Novocherkassk, Russia. Еmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0003-1884-6437

Giorgiy G. Panchvidze – postgraduate student, Platov South Russian State Polytechnic University (Novocherkassk Polytechnic Institute), Novocherkassk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

1. Kuzharov A.S. The concept of wearlessness in modern tribology. Izv. vuzov. Sev.-Kavk. region. Tekhn. nauki [News of Higher Educational Institutions: North Caucasian Region. Series: Engineering Sciences]. 2014;(2):23-31. (In Russ.)

2. Garkunov D.N. Tribotekhnika (iznos i bezyznosnost) [Triboengineering (wear and wearlessness). Moscow: Publishing House of Moscow Agricultural Academy, 2001, 616 p. (In Russ.)

3. Kuzharov A.S., Burlakova V.E., Zodoshenko E.G., Marchak R., Kravchik K. Tribo-electrochemistry of the effect of wearlessness during friction. The mechanism of formation of boundary layers on steel in a self-organizing tribosystem “copper – glycerin – steel”. Trenie i iznos [Friction and Wear]. 1998;19(6):768-778. (In Russ.)

4. Clasen C., Ravehpour H.P., McRinley G.H. Bridging tribology and microrheology of thin films. Appl. Rheol. 2010;20:45049.

5. Polyakov S.A. A theoretical analysis of main mechanisms of the evolution of tribosystems during selective transfer. Dolgovechnost trushchikhsya detaley mashin: sb. trudov [Durability of rubbing machine parts: collected papers]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1988, p. 3-26. (In Russ.)

6. Kajita S., Tohyama M., Washizu H. Friction modification by shifting of phonon energy dissipation in solid atoms. Tribology Online. 2015;10(2):156-161.

7. Zaslavsky Yu.S. Tribologiya smazochnykh materialov [Tribology of lubricants]. Moscow: Khimiya, 1991, 240 p. (In Russ.)

8. Burlakova V.E., Drogan E.G. Influence of the concentration of organic acid in the composition of the lubricant on the tribological characteristics of a friction pair. Vestnik Donskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta [Vestnik of Don State Technical University]. 2019;19(1):24-30. (In Russ.)

9. Kuzharov A.S., Marchak R. Peculiarities of the evolutionary transition of the brass-glycerin-steel tribological system to the wear-free friction mode. Doklady RAN [Reports of the Russian Academy of Sciences]. 1997;354(5):642-644. (In Russ.)

10. Kragelsky I.V., Alisin V.V. Friction wear lubrication: tribology handbook. Elsevier, 2016, p. 263

11. Gasanov B.G., Azarenkov A.A. Powder antifriction materials and lubricants for self-organizing friction units. Izv. vuzov. Sev.-Kavk. region. Tekhn. nauki [News of Higher Educational Institutions: North Caucasian Region. Series: Engineering Sciences]. 2004;(special issue):118-123. (In Russ.)

12. Kurbatkin I.I., Kudryashov A.E. Tribological characteristics of antifriction alloys and mass transfer processes during the operation of contact pairs in plain bearings. Trenie i iznos [Friction and Wear]. 2011;36(6):579-584. (In Russ.)

13. Kuzharov A.S. Physical and chemical bases of the lubricating action in the selective transfer mode. Effekt bezyznosnosti i tribotekhnologii [Effect of wearlessness and tribotechnology]. 1992;(2):3-14. (In Russ.)