ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2022-20-4-37-46

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance). Graphite is a non-polar, non-metallic mineral that plays an important role in many technological processes in various industries. An alternative source of flake graphite is kish graphite from metallurgical production. Flotation is used to separate graphite-containing raw materials in order to isolate flake graphite. A main area of improving the flotation process is aimed at intensifying surface properties of graphite flakes in the separation process and adjusting flotation modes using more efficient reagents. A subject of the study is kish graphite from a blast furnace shop of an iron and steel works. Objective of the research is to study the possibilities of increasing the flotation concentration of kish graphite by determining physical and chemical regularities of the flotation using a centrifugal impact mill for grinding and complex reagents based on dimethyl ethynyl carbinol, an active substance. Originality lies in the study of the regularities of the flotation using preliminary mechanical activation and new reagents, previously not used for the flotation of graphite, the most difficult type of flake graphite for the concentration, namely blast furnace kish graphite. The authors have studied the influence of the method and duration of kish graphite disinte-gration, the content of solid particles in the slurry and the type of the complex reagent on the flotation parameters. Re-sult. Dry grinding and mechanical activation in a centrifugal impact mill provides a selective disintegration and increas-es the reactivity of graphite particles. This leads to an increase in the mass fraction of carbon in the combined concen-trate by 19.77% and a decrease in the content of the magnetic fraction by 22.15%. Flotation reagents DK-80 and MIKS show different flotation activity in respect of coarse and fine products of an air classification. During the flotation of coarse products, the reagents show a greater selectivity to graphite, while during the flotation of fine products, the selectivity to graphite is lower, but the concentrate is cleaner in terms of the mass fraction of magnetic particles and the carbon extraction is higher. The results obtained will be used to develop the kish graphite flotation technology in column flotation machines, which are characterized by increased flotation selectivity due to secondary concentration processes in the froth layer.

Keywords

iron kish, kish graphite, flotation, complex reagents, dimethyl ethynyl carbinol, foaming, centrifugal impact grinding, dynamic classification

For citation

Fadeeva N.V., Orekhova N.N., Kolodezhnaya E.V., Nigmatova N.N. Study on the Physical and Chemical Regu-larities of the Kish Graphite Flotation Process. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Univer-siteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2022, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 37-46. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2022-20-4-37-46

Natalia N. Orekhova – DrSc (Eng.), Professor, Department of Geology, Mine Survey and Minerals Dressing, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0002-3507-5198

Natalia V. Fadeeva – PhD (Eng.), Senior Lecturer, Department of Geology, Mine Survey and Minerals Dressing, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0001-9291-9927

Ekaterina V. Kolodezhnaya – PhD (Eng.), Senior Researcher, Research and Innovation Sector, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Nailya N. Nigmatova – student of the Department of Geology, Mine Survey and Minerals Dressing, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

1. Gosudarstvennyi doklad «O sostoyanii i ispolzovanii mineralno-syrevykh resursov Rossiiskoy Federatsii v 2020 godu» [State Report “On the State and Use of Mineral Resources of the Russian Federation in 2020”]. The Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment of the Russian Federation. Federal Agency for Subsoil Use (Rosnedra). Moscow: All-Russian Research Institute of Mineral Resources, 2021, 572 p. (In Russ.)

2. Li J., Liu R., Ma L., Wei L., Cao L., Shen W., Huang Z.H. Combining multiple methods for recycling of kish graphite from steelmaking slags and oil sorption performance of kish-based expanded graphite. ACS Omega, 2021, 6 (14), 9868-9875.

3. Fadeeva N.V., Orekhova N.N., Gorlova O.E. Environ-mental, economic and resource aspects of processing graphite-containing dust of metallurgical production. Sovremennye problemy i perspektivy razvitiya nauki, tekhniki i obrazovaniya: materialy I Natsionalnoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii (30 noyabrya 2020 g.) [Current problems and prospects for development of science, technology and education: Proceedings of the 1st National Scientific and Practical Conference (November 30, 2020)]. Magnitogorsk: Publishing House of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, 2020, pp. 1229-1232. (In Russ.)

4. Fadeeva N.V., Orekhova N.N., Gorlova O.E. The study on features of the material composition and technological properties of metallurgical graphite-containing dust for producing flake graphite. Aktual-nye problemy gornogo dela [Current Challenges of Mining], 2021, no. 3 (12), pp. 20-27. (In Russ.)

5. Laverty P. D., Nicks L.J., Walters L.A. Recovery of flake graphite from steelmaking kish. RI 9512; Bu-reau of Mines: United States, 1995, 3-23.

6. Kazmi K.R., Anwar M.S., Bhatti M.A. Mehmood A. Kish beneficiation by flotation. Journal-Chemical So-ciety of Pakistan, 2008, 30(1), 11-15.

7. Frost R. The recovery of kish graphite from secondary sources. University of Birmingham, Birmingham, 2015.

8. Chizhevskiy V.B., Fadeeva N.V., Gmyzina N.V. Floatability of graphite with hydrocarbons and oxygen-containing compounds. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2018, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 5-16. (In Russ.)

9. Petukhov V.N., Shchelkunov S.A., Malyshev O.A., Kubak D.A., Yudina S.V. Influence of acetylenic al-cohols on coal flotation. Koks i khimiya [Coke and Chemistry], 2020, no. 11, pp. 24-33. (In Russ.)

10. Chizhevsky V.B., Fadeeva N.V. Study of the RAS foaming agent action in graphite flotation. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2003, no. 4, pp. 37-41. (In Russ.)

11. Tong Z. et al. The effect of comminution on surface roughness and wettability of graphite particles and their relation with flotation. Minerals Engineering, 2021, 169, 106959.

12. Gilmanshina T.R., Illarionov I.E., Koroleva G.A., Lytkina S.I. Study on grindability of natural crypto-crystalline graphite. Obogashchenie rud [Ore Benefi-ciation], 2018, no. 4, pp. 6-10. (In Russ.)

13. Garkavi M.S., Orekhova N.N., Gorlova O.E., Ko-lodezhnaya E.V. Application of mechanical activation for manufacturing target products in processing of fused periclase and slags. Obogashchenie rud [Ore Beneficiation], 2020, no. 5, pp. 35-42. (In Russ.)

14. Shchelkunov S.A., Malyshev O.A. Dimethyl (isopro-penyl-ethinyl) carbinol is an efficient non-ionized col-lector-foaming agent. Tsvetnaya metallurgiya [Non-Ferrous Metallurgy], 2008, no. 3, pp. 7-12. (In Russ.)

15. Fedotov K.V., Dmitriev V.I. Energy intensity and power density in the ore disintegration processes. Vestnik Irkutskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta [Proceedings of Irkutsk State Technical University], 2010, no. 2, pp. 202-205. (In Russ.)