ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2022-20-3-94-102

Abstract

Although grinding belongs to the oldest machining processes, it is still one of the most used machining techniques for producing parts with high surface quality and dimensional accuracy. At the same time, grinding is among the most complex and least understood processes for two main reasons. First, the abrasive grains present on the surface of the tool are randomly oriented. Secondly, they undergo complex interactions in the processing zone. In addition, during the grinding process, due to high speeds and low thermal conductivity of the grinding wheel, the instantaneous temperature in the contact zone can reach the melting temperature of steel leading to structural changes in the surface layer of the part. It is not possible to remove the defective layer because the size of the part is within tolerance, therefore the defect is irreparable meaning that all previous processing costs were in vain. Therefore, temperature is one of the main limiting criteria when setting cutting parameters for grinding operations. The methods used in the article were based on the fundamental provisions of mechanical engineering theory, the theory of cutting and machining, as well as the theory of thermal conductivity of solids. A mathematical model has been developed for calculating the temperature in the con-tact zone of the grinding wheel and the workpiece during cylindrical plunge grinding. The developed model takes into account the number of abrasive grains on the contact patch, the physical properties of the workpiece material and the grinding wheel, as well as the cutting parameters. The resulting model can be further used to design high-performance cycles of plunge grinding as the main one for ensuring burn-free machining.

Keywords

grinding, grinding wheel, heat flux, contact patch, abrasive grains

For citation

Degtyareva-Kashutina A.S., Boldyrev I.S. Mathematical Model for Determining Contact Zone Temperature During Cylindrical Plunge Grinding. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2022, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 94-102. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2022-20-3-94-102

Degtyareva-Kashutina A.S. South Ural State University, Chelyabinsk, Russia

Boldyrev I.S. South Ural State University, Chelyabinsk, Russia

1. Grain Geometrical Characteristics on the Grinding Quality. Procedia Engineering, 2017, Volume 206, pp. 194-199, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2017.10.459.

2. Palmer J., Curtis D., Novovic D., Ghadbeigi H. The Influence of Abrasive Grit Morphology on Wheel To-pography and Grinding Performance. Procedia CIRP, 2018, vol. 77, pp. 239-242, https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.procir.2018.09.005.

3. Novoselov Yu.K., Bogutsky V.B., Dzyubaba R.N. Prediction of surface roughness parameters during abrasive machining. Izvestiya TulGU. Tekhnicheskie nauki [Bulletin of TulGU. Engineering sciences], 2017, vol. 8, ch. 1, pp. 262-269. (In Russ.)

4. Evseev D.G., Salnikov A.N. Fizicheskie osnovy protsessa shlifovaniya [Physical basis of the grinding process]. Saratov: Publishing House of Saratov Uni-versity, 1978, 128 p. (In Russ.)

5. Lishchenko N.V., Larshin V.P. The influence of lu-bricating fluid coolant action on grinding temperature. Science Vector of Togliatti State University, 2015, no. 3-1, pp. 68-74.

6. Dyakonov A.A. Understanding the strength of materi-als at the rate of deformation and the temperature re-gime of grinding. Metalloobrabotka [Metalworking], 2007, no. 4, pp. 2-5. (In Russ.)

7. R.L. Hecker, S.Y. Liang, X.J. Wu, et al. Grinding force and power modeling based on chip thickness analysis. Int J AdvManufTechnol, 2007, vol. 33, p. 449, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-006-0473-y

8. Sipailov V.A. Teplovye protsessy pri shlifovanii i up-ravlenie kachestvom poverkhnosti. [Thermal process-es during grinding and surface quality control]. Mos-cow: Mashinostroenie, 1978, 167 p. (In Russ.)

9. Korchak S.N. Proizvoditel'nost' protsessa shlifovani-ya stal'nykh detaley [The performance of steel part grinding process]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1974, 280 p. (In Russ.)

10. Pereladov A.B., Kamkin I.P., Anokhin A.V. Under-standing the statistical and probabilistic characteristics of the working surface of the grinding wheel. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedeniy. Mashinostroyenie [Proceedings of Russian Universities. Mechanical Engineering], 2014, no. 3 (648), pp. 67-71. (In Russ.)

11. Nosenko V.A., Danilenko M.V., Vasiliev V.V. A method for determining the distribution of contacting grain peaks on the surface of grinding wheels ac-counting for multiple passes. Izvestiya Volgograd-skogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta [Bulletin of the Volgograd State Technical University], 2021, vol. 1 (248), p. 23-26. (In Russ.)

12. Baikalov A.K. Vvedenie v teoriyu shlifovaniya mate-rialov [Introduction to the theory of grinding]. Kyiv: Naukova Dumka, 1978, 207 p. (In Russ.)

13. Liu W., Deng Zh., Shang Y., Wan L. Parametric evalu-ation and three-dimensional modelling for surface to-pography of grinding wheel. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 2019, vol. 155, pp. 334-342, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2019.03.006.

14. Korolev A.V. Issledovanie protsessov obrazovaniya poverkhnostey instrumenta i detali pri abrazivnoy obrabotke [Understanding surface formation in tools and workpieces during abrasive machining]. Saratov: Publishing House of Saratov University, 1975, 191 p. (In Russ.)

15. Kiselev E.S. Teplofizika pravki shlifoval'nykh krugov s primeneniem SOZH [Thermal physics behind grind-ing wheel dressing using lubricoolants]. Ulyanovsk: UlSTU, 2001, 170 p. (In Russ.)

16. Ostrovsky V.I. Teoreticheskie osnovy protsessa shlifovaniya [Fundamentals of the grinding process]. Leningrad: Publishing House of Leningrad University, 1981, 144 p. (In Russ.)

17. Pereverzev P.P. Teoriya i metodika rascheta opti-mal'nykh tsiklov obrabotki detaley na krugloshlifo-val'nykh stankakh s programmnym upravleniyem: dis-sertatsiya doktora tekhn. nauk [Calculating optimum machining cycles for cylindrical CNC grinders: Theo-ry and procedure. Doctoral dissertation]. Chelyabinsk, 1999. 295 p. (In Russ.)

18. Maslov E.N. Teoriya shlifovaniya materialov [Theory of grinding]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1974, 320 p. (In Russ.)

19. Klochko V.I. Effektivnost' vysokoskorostnogo shlifo-vaniya raznykh staley i splavov s uchetom tochnosti i kachestva obrabotki: dis. … kand. tekhn. nauk [The efficiency of high-speed grinding of different steels and alloys taking into account precision and quality. PhD dissertation]. Chelyabinsk, 1984, 207 p. (In Russ.)