ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2022-20-2-82-90

Abstract

The paper describes studies on three proposed promising methods for local ion nitriding of steels of a wide class: 16Kh3NVFMB-Sh, 38KhMYuA, R6M5, 12Kh18N10T and 13Kh11N2V2MF-Sh, to create diffusion layers with different thickness and mechanical properties on the treated surface in one vacuum cycle. The first method is based on creating high-density plasma on sections of parts, using the effect of a hollow cathode. The second method proposes the creation of highly ionized glow discharge plasma, using crossed electric and magnetic fields on the local sections of parts. Increase in diffusion layer thickness in local areas during ion nitriding is attributed to an increase in the concentration gradient of a saturating element in the chamber formed by a hollow cathode or crossed electric and magnetic fields. The third method is implemented by refining a material structure by plastic deformation methods before the nitriding process on the areas of high-wear parts. As a result of such structure refinement, local areas of machine parts and mechanisms show intensified diffusion processes and formed wear-resistant hardened layers. The paper presents research on microstructures of steels after local ion nitriding with the proposed methods, and microhardness measurements of the hardened layer on the various treated areas. It has been found that during ion nitriding with a hollow cathode or in crossed electric and magnetic fields, using high-density glow discharge plasma, the local area of the part shows the formation of a diffusion layer, which is 2–2.5 times larger than during classical ion nitriding. Ion nitriding of parts with a preliminary refinement of the material structure with plastic deformation methods before the diffusion saturation process contributes to forming in individual sections of the part diffusion layers, which are ~ 2 times thicker than the relevant indicator, achieved during nitriding of parts with an unchanged structure. The methods under study will provide for processing heavy-loaded parts of machines and mechanisms, operating under local wear conditions.

Keywords

local ion nitriding, glow discharge, hollow cathode effect, crossed electric and magnetic fields, steel, structure, microhardness, hardened layer.

For citation

Khusainov Yu.G. Promising Methods for Local Ion Nitriding of Steels.Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2022, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 82–90. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2022-20-2-82-90

Khusainov Yu.G. Ufa State Aviation Technical University, Ufa, Russia

1. Gerasimov S.A., Kuksenova L.I., Laptev V.G. Struktura i iznosostoykost azotirovannykh konstruktsionnykh staley i splavov: monografiya [Structure and wear resistance of nitrided structural steels and alloys: monograph]. Moscow: Publishing House of Bauman Moscow State Technical University, 2012, 518 p. (In Russ.)

2. Arzamasov B.N., Bratukhin A.G., Eliseev Yu.S., Panayoti T.A. Ionnaya khimiko-termicheskaya obrabotka splavov [Ion chemical-thermal treatment of alloys]. Moscow: Publishing House of Bauman Moscow State Technical University, 1999, 400 p. (In Russ.)

3. Berlin E.V., Koval N.N., Seidman L.A. Plazmennaya khimiko-termicheskaya obrabotka poverkhnosti stalnykh detaley [Plasma chemical-thermal treatment of the surface of steel parts]. Moscow: Tekhnosfera, 2012, 464 p. (In Russ.)

4. Kuksenova L.I., Polyakov S.A., Alekseeva M.S., Rubtsov S.V. Increasing the service life of gears based on the choice of technologies for strengthening the working surfaces of the teeth. Vestnik nauchno-tekhnicheskogo razvitiya [Bulletin of Scientific and Technical Development], 2019, no. 5, pp. 11–22. (In Russ.)

5. Budilov V.V., Ramazanov K.N., Khusainov Yu.G., Ramazanov I.S., Zolotov I.V. Sposob lokalnoy obrabotki materiala s effektom pologo katoda pri ionnom azotirovanii [The method of local processing of the material with the hollow cathode effect during ion nitriding]. Patent RU, no. 2534906, 2014.

6. Budilov V.V., Ramazanov K.N., Khusainov Yu.G., Esipov R.S., Zolotov I.V., Agzamov R.D. Sposob lokalnoy obrabotki stalnogo izdeliya pri ionnom azotirovanii v magnitnom pole [The method of local processing of a steel product during ion nitriding in a magnetic field]. Patent No. 2640703, 2018.

7. Budilov V.V., Ramazanov K.N., Khusainov Yu.G., Agzamov R.D., Esipov R.S., Tagirov A.F. Sposob nizkotemperaturnogo ionnogo azotirovaniya stalnykh detalei [The method of low-temperature ion nitriding of steel parts]. Patent No. 2664106 RU, 2018.

8. Islamgaliev R.K., Ramazanov K.N., Karavaeva M.V. et al. Struktura i svoystva ultramelkozernistykh staley s ionno-plazmennymi pokrytiyami [Structure and properties of ultrafine-grained steels with ion-plasma coatings]. Moscow: Innovative Mechanical Engineering Publishing House, 2017, 225 p. (In Russ.)

9. Budilov V.V., Agzamov R.D., Ramazanov K.N. Research and development of methods of chemical-thermal treatment based on structural phase modification of the surface of parts by high-current discharges in vacuum. Metallovedenie i termicheskaya obrabotka metallov [Metal Science and Heat Treatment of Metals], 2007, no. 7, pp. 33–36. (In Russ.)

10. Budilov V.V., Ramazanov K.N., Vafin R.K. Influence of crossed electric and magnetic fields on ion nitriding in a glow discharge. Fizika i khimiya obrabotki materialov [Physics and Chemistry of Materials Processing], 2011, no. 6, pp. 40–42. (In Russ.)