ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2021-19-4-5-15

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance). The current stage of global mining industry development is determined by a number of key factors in achieving high technical and economic performance, namely a comprehensive solution of theoretical and applied problems in the mining sector, in the context of implementing the main approaches to Industry 4.0. In terms of economic performance and the relative feasibility of safe extraction of raw materials, the open-pit mining method will remain promising for the near future. The statistical data analysis of mining transport equipment operation at mining enterprises of the Russian Federation and scientific and technical literature has defined that there are no significant changes in idle time reduction for the basic technological equipment. A reduction in failures and, consequently, downtime can be achieved, apart from the renovation and optimisation of the equipment fleets, by implementing the system, reducing the percentage of mining transport equipment breakdowns to minimum, at mining enterprises. Objectives.The study seeks to justify the use of predictive analytics tools to minimise failures of mining transport equipment. Methods Applied. To establish reliability indexes of open-pit excavators operated at mining enterprises of the Ural Federal District, the authors used the reliability theory methodology was used, in particular, the procedure for calculating reliability indexes of non-redundant systems and methods of predictive analytics. Originality.The authors have shown that how predictive analytics methods and tools could be applied to decrease failures of mining transport machines. Result. A failure tree structure, including a graphological scheme, has been developed for a crawler excavator in open-cast mining. Practical Relevance. Forecasting remains a necessary step for prevention of mining transport equipment failures. Introduction of a modern efficient system to forecast the changes in the equipment state is a key tool used to minimize idle time of mining equipment, increase equipment service life, and reduce the equipment maintenance cost at mining enterprises.

Keywords

Mining, predictive analytics, open-pit excavator, equipment, failure, element.

For citation

Velikanov V.S., Musonov O.S., Panfilova O.R., Ilina E.A., Dyorina N.V. Predictive Analytics Tools in Minimising Mining Equipment Failures. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2021, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 5–15. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2021-19-4-5-15

Vladimir S. Velikanov – DrSc (Eng.), Professor, Ural Federal University named after the First President of Russia B.N. Yeltsin, Yekaterinburg, Russia. Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Еmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0001-5581-2733

Oleg S. Musonov – master, Ural Federal University named after the First President of Russia B.N. Yeltsin, Yekaterinburg, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Olga R. Panfilova – PhD (Eng.), Associate Professor, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Еmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0001-558-2733

Elena A. Ilina – PhD (Pedagogy), Associate Professor, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0002-9143-4343

Natalya V. Dyorina – PhD (Philology), Associate Professor, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Email: nataljapidckaluck@yandex. ORCID 0000-0002-0613-0864

1. Poderni R.Yu., Buhles P. Comparative analysis of hydraulic and mechanical front shovel excavators. Gornyi zhurnal [Mining Journal], 2015, no. 1, pp. 55–61. (In Russ.)

2. Poderni R.Yu., Buhles P. Efficiency of the use of powerful hydraulic excavators - the result of increasing their reliability. Gornaya promyshlennost [Mining Industry], 2015, no. 1, pp. 46–51. (In Russ.)

3. Pobegailo P.A. Moshchnye odnokovshovye gidravlicheskie ekskavatory. Vybor osnovnykh geometricheskikh parametrov rabochego oborudovaniya na rannikh stadiyakh proektirovaniya [Powerful single-bucket hydraulic excavators. The choice of the main geometric parameters of the working equipment at the early stages of design]. Moscow: Lenand, 2014, 296 p. (In Russ.)

4. Buhles P. Efficiency of operation of open-pit excavators with electromechanical and hydraulic drives of main mechanisms. Gornaya promyshlennost [Mining Industry], 2014, no. 6 (118), pp. 36–37. (In Russ.)

5. Melnikov N.N., Nevolin D.G., Skobelev L.S. Tekhnologiya primeneniya i parametry gidravlicheskikh ekskavatorov: monografiya [Application technology and parameters of hydraulic excavators: monograph]. Apatity: Kola Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 1992, 216 p. (In Russ.)

6. Velikanov V.S. Nauchnye osnovy sistemy snizheniya riskov otkazov pri upravlenii karernym ekskavatorom: dis. … d-ra tekhn. nauk [Scientific foundation of the system for reducing the risks of failures when operating a mining excavator. Doctoral thesis]. Ural State Mining University. Yekaterinburg, 2020.

7. Dyakonov N.A., Logunova O.S. Process control systems based on predictive analytics: design. Elektrotekhnicheskie sistemy i kompleksy [Electrotechnical Systems and Complexes], 2021, no. 1 (50), pp. 58–64. (In Russ.)

8. Shakhanov N.I., Ershov E.V., Yudina O.V. Model, method and algorithms for predicting failures of the rollers of the outgoing roller table of the disposal group of the rolling division. Izvestiya Yugo-Zapadnogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Ser.: Upravlenie, vychislitelnaya tekhnika, informatika. Meditsinskoe priborostroenie [Proceedings of the South-West State University. Series: Control, Computer Engineering, Information Science. Medical Instruments Engineering], 2018, vol. 8, no. 3 (28), pp. 50–59. (In Russ.)

9. https: //crn.ru

10. Velikanov V.S., Bochinskaya A.N. Formation of a system for minimizing the risks of failures, when operating open-pit excavators. Aktualnye problemy sovremennoi nauki, tekhniki i obrazovaniya: tezisy dokladov 77-i mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-tekhnicheskoi konferentsii [Current problems of modern science, technology and education. Abstracts of the 77th International Scientific and Technical Conference]. Magnitogorsk, 2019, p. 36. (In Russ.)

11. Zorin V.A. Nadezhnost mekhanicheskikh sistem: uchebnik [Reliability of mechanical systems: Textbook]. Moscow: NITs INFRA-M, 2015, 380 p. (In Russ.)

12. Malafeev S.I., Kopeikin A.I. Nadezhnost tekhnicheskikh sistem. Primery i zadachi: uchebnoe posobie [Reliability of technical systems. Examples and tasks: Textbook]. Saint Petersburg: Lan, 2012, 313 p. ISBN 978-5-8114-1268-6. (In Russ.)

13. Panfilova O.R., Usov I.G., Kutlubaev I.M., Velikanov V.S. Nadezhnost mekhanicheskikh sistem gornykh i transportnykh mashin: uchebnoe posobie [Reliability of mechanical systems of mining and transport machines: Textbook]. Magnitogorsk: Publishing House of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, 2020, 60 p. (In Russ.)

14. Ostreykovsky V.A. Teoriya nadezhnosti: uchebnik [Reliability theory: Textbook]. Moscow: Higher School, 2008, 463 p. (In Russ.)

15. Polovko A.M., Gurov S.V. Osnovy teorii nadezhnosti: uchebnoe posobie [Fundamentals of the theory of reliability: Textbook]. Saint Petersburg: BKhV-Peterburg, 2006, 702 p. (In Russ.)

16. Polovko A.M., Gurov S.V. Osnovy teorii nadezhnosti. Praktikum: uchebnoe posobie [Fundamentals of the theory of reliability. Workshop: tutorial]. Saint Petersburg: BKhV-Peterburg, 2006, 557 p. (In Russ.)

17. Golubev V.А., Trop A.E., Karasev N.M. et al. Ekspluatatsionnaya nadezhnost i tekhnicheskoe obsluzhivanie ekskavatorov EKG-8 i EKG-8I: uchebno-metodicheskoe posobie [Operational reliability and maintenance of excavators EKG-8 and EKG-8I: Study guide]. Sverdlovsk, 1971, 119 p. (In Russ.)

18. Morin C.R., Packer K.F., Slater J.E. Failure analysis associated with mining and heavy mechanical equipment. McCall J.L., French P.M. (eds) Metallography in Failure Analysis. Springer, Boston, MA. 1978. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4613-2856-8_8

19. Harish Kumar N.S., Choudhary R.P., Murthy Ch. S.N. Model based reliability analysis of shovel – dumper system’s mechanical failures used in the surface coal mine: a case study. Safety and Reliability 39:3-4, 2020, pp. 215–229.

20. Dindarloo Saeid R., Siami-Irdemoosa E. Data mining in mining engineering: results of classification and clustering of shovels failures data. International Journal of Mining, Reclamation and Environment 31:2, 2017, pp. 105–118.

21. Dindarloo Saeid R. Support vector machine regression analysis of LHD failures. International Journal of Mining, Reclamation and Environment30:1, 2016, pp. 64–69.

22. Nick Vayenas, Xiangxi Wu. Maintenance study of a skip hoist. International Journal of Mining, Reclamation and Environment 25:2, 2011, pp. 177–186.

23. Vayenas N., Wu X. Maintenance and reliability analysis of a fleet of load-haul-dump vehicles in an underground hard rock mine. International Journal of Mining, Reclamation and Environment 23:3, 2009, pp. 227–238.

24. Elevli S., Uzgören N., Elevli B. Correspondence analysis of repair data: a case study for electric cable shovels. Journal of Applied Statistics 35:8, 2008, pp. 901–908.

25. Yuriy G., Vayenas N. Discrete-event simulation of mine equipment systems combined with a reliability assessment model based on genetic algorithms. International Journal of Mining, Reclamation and Environment 22:1, 2008, pp. 70–83.

26. Roy S. K., Bhattacharyya M. M., Naikan V. N. A. Maintainability and reliability analysis of a fleet of shovels. Mining Technology 110:3, 2001, pp. 163–171.

27. Golubev V.A., Trop A.E. Nadezhnost gornogo oborudovaniya i effektivnost ego ispolzovaniya [Reliability of mining equipment and efficiency of its use]. Moscow: Nedra, 1974, 80 p. (In Russ.)

28. Kutlubaev I.M. The use of structural diagrams for the analysis of multi-engine machines. Vestnik mashinostroeniya [Vestnik of Mechanical Engineering], 2004, no. 12, pp. 8–11. (In Russ.)

29. Panfilova О.Р., Velikanov V.S., Usov I.G., Matsko E.Yu., Kutlubaev I.M. Calculating life of parts of structural and functional elements of mining machines. Fiziko-tekhnicheskie problemy razrabotki poleznykh iskopaemykh [Physical and Technical Issues of Mining], 2018, no. 2, pp. 43–51. (In Russ.)

30. Velikanov V.S., Panfilova O.R., Usov I.G. Analysis of the durability indicators of the open-pit excavator dipper arm. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2018, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 13–20. (In Russ.)