ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2021-19-3-24-36

Abstract

Problem Statement. When enriching refractory gold-bearing ores, a decrease in the yield of the concentrate sent to the gold extraction and subsequent cyanidation significantly reduces capital expenses and operating costs, providing a solution to the urgent problem of increasing the production efficiency of commercial products. Objectives. To increase the technical and economic indicators of ore processing by reducing the yield of the concentrate sent to the biooxidation of sulfides by aerating the pulp with a mixture of air and hot water steam, namely flotation with steam-air bubbles. Originality. Based on the data on the dependence of the forces of hydrophilic repulsion and hydrophobic attraction caused by the difference in the structure of water in the boundary layers of minerals from the structure of water in the bulk, it was concluded that it was possible to change the results of flotation by increasing the temperature of the wetting film, for example, by using steam condensation heat. For this purpose, the pulp is aerated with a mixture of air and hot steam. An increase in the temperature of the wetting film is the cause of an increase in the hydrophilic repulsion forces that stabilize the film, and the loss of stability of the wetting film is associated with an increase in the forces of hydrophobic attraction. Findings. Using the developed stand and the technique, the heat transfer coefficient was measured at different vapor concentrations in the air bubble and it was revealed that when the mass fraction of steam in the steam-air mixture was more than 0.30 kg∙kg-1 due to the heat of its condensation, water temperature in the boundary layer of the floating bubble increased by 11–14°C, leading to a decrease in thickness of the wetting film, corresponding to a change in the sign of the structural component of wedging pressure. Practical Relevance. An experimental testing of the developed technology was carried out on a sample of refractory gold-bearing ore and it was shown that when it was applied, the gold content in the flotation concentrate increased by 1.8 times with a decrease in the yield of the flotation concentrate by 39.5% rel. and gold recovery from the operation increased from 76.8% to 89.9%.

Keywords

Refractory gold-bearing ore, flotation, steam bubble filling, experimental studies.

For citation

Evdokimov S.I., Gerasimenko T.E. Flotation Flowsheet and Mode for Recovery of Gold from Refractory Ores. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2021, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 24–36. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2021-19-3-24-36

Sergey I. Evdokimov – PhD (Eng.), Associate Professor, North Caucasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (State Technological University), Vladikavkaz, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Tatiana E. Gerasimenko – PhD (Eng.), Head of the Intellectual Property Department, North Caucasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (State Technological University), Vladikavkaz, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Mikhailov B.K., Ivanov A.I., Vartanyan S.S., Benevolsky B.I. Mineral resource base of gold in Russia: state and development prospects. Mineralnye resursy Rossii. Ekonomika i upravlenie [Mineral Resources of Russia. Economics and Management], 2014, no. 6, pp. 9–13. (In Russ.)

2. Panov R.S. On the results and problems of the development of the mineral resource base of Russia based on the operating results of JSC Rosgeologia in 2018. Mineralnye resursy Rossii. Ekonomika i upravlenie [Mineral Resources of Russia. Economics and Management], 2019, no. 1, pp. 4–5. (In Russ.)

3. Alekseev Ya.V., Korchagina D.A. Raw material base of ore gold in Russia: the state of development and development prospects until 2040. Mineralnye resursy Rossii. Ekonomika i upravlenie [Mineral Resources of Russia. Economics and Management], 2020, no. 4-5, pp. 3–7. (In Russ.)

4. Kashuba S.G. Gold mining industry in Russia: state and prospects. Mineralnye resursy Rossii. Ekonomika i upravlenie [Mineral Resources of Russia. Economics and Management], 2020, no. 4-5, pp. 48–52. (In Russ.)

5. Zaernyuk V.M., Chernikova L.I., Zabaykin Yu.V. Trends, problems and prospects for the development of the gold mining industry in Russia. Finansovaya analitika: problemy i resheniya [Financial Analytics: Problems and Solutions], 2017, vol. 10, no. 9, pp. 972–986. (In Russ.)

6. Evdokimov S.I., Gerasimenko T.E., Trotsenko I.G. Feasibility study of the joint processing of gold ores and placers. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2020, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 12–23. (In Russ.)

7. Shikhalev S.V., Minukhin L.A., Reshetnikov I.F. The processes of heat and mass transfer during condensation of steam from a steam-gas mixture on a horizontal flat surface of facilities with a jacket. Tekhnika i tekhnologiya pishchevykh proizvodstv [Food Processing: Techniques and Technology], 2014, no. 3, pp. 103–107. (In Russ.)

8. Miller J.D., Wang X., Jin J., Shrimali K. Interfacial water structure and the wetting of mineral surfaces. International Journal of Mineral processing, 2016, vol. 156, pp. 6268.

9. Boinovich L., Emelyanenko A. Wetting and surface forces. Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, 2011, vol. 165, no. 2, pp. 6069.

10. Zheng J.-M., Chin W.-C., Khijniak E., Khijniak E., Pollack G.H. Surfaces and interfacial water: Evidence that hydrophilic surfaces have long-range impact. Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, 2006, vol. 127, issue 1, pp. 1927.

11. Pan L., Jung S., Yoon R.-H. Effect of hydrophobicity on the stability of the wetting films of water formed on gold surfaces. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2011, vol. 361, issue 1, pp. 321330.

12. Liang Y., Hilal N., Langston P., Starov V. Interaction forces between colloidal particles in liquid: Theory and experiment. Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, 2007, vol. 134-135, pp. 151156.

13. Liu J., Cui X., Xie L., Huang J., Zeng H. Probing effects of molecular-level heterogeneity of surface hydrophobicity on hydrophobic interactions in air/water/solid systems. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2019, vol. 557, pp. 438449.

14. Mishchuk N. The model of hydrophobic attraction in the framework of classical DLVO forces. Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, 2011, vol. 168, issues 1–2, pp. 149166.

15. Eisenberg D., Kauzmann W. Struktura i svoystva vody [Structure and properties of water]. Leningrad: Gidrometioizdat, 1975, 280 p. (In Russ.)

16. Evdokimov S.I., Panshin A.M., Solodenko A.A. Mineralurgiya [Minerallurgy], in 2 volumes, vol. 2, Achievements of Flotation. Vladikavkaz: OOO NPKP MAVR, 2010, 992 p. (In Russ.)

17. Verrelli D.I., Koh P.T.L., Bruckard W.J., Schwarz M.P. Variations in the induction period for particle–bubble attachment. Minerals Engineering, 2012, vol. 3638, pp. 219230.

18. Xia W. Role of surface roughness in the attachment time between air bubble and flat ultra-low-ash coal surface. International Journal of Mineral Processing, 2017, vol. 168, pp. 1924.

19. Albijanic B., Ozdemir O., Nguyen A.V., Bradshaw D. A review of induction and attachment times of wetting thin films between air bubbles and particles and its relevance in the separation of particles by flotation. Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, 2010, vol. 159, pp. 121.

20. Roldugin V.I. On a single mechanism of action of surface forces of different nature. Kolloidny zhurnal [Colloid Journal], 2015, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 214–218. (In Russ.)

21. Roldugin V.I., Kharitonova T.V. Osmotic pressure or decompression? Kolloidny zhurnal [Colloid Journal], 2015, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 783–791. (In Russ.)

22. Tarasov G.I., Sinitsyn A.N., Babin V.A., Bolshukhin M.A., Antipin S.G., Belin A.V., Vasyatkin A.G. Experimental studies of the conditions of vapor condensation in the presence of non-condensable gas on a vertical multi-row in-line bundle of weakly inclined coil pipes. Izv. vuzov. Yadernaya energetika [News of Higher Educational Institutions. Nuclear Power Engineering], 2010, no. 4, pp. 209–215. (In Russ.)

23. Lezhnin S.I., Sorokin A.L., Pribaturin N.A. Evolution of pressure and temperature upon a sudden contact of cold water and saturated steam. Trudy Instituta mekhaniki UNTS RAN [Proceedings of the Institute of Mechanics of the Ufa Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences], 2007, pp. 261–266. (In Russ.)

24. Lezhnin S.I., Sorokin A.L. Simulation of the evolution of the rarefaction pulse upon contact of cold liquid and saturated vapor. Teplofizika i aeromekhanika [Thermophysics and Aeromechanics], 2010, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 397–400. (In Russ.)

25. Zhukov V.P., Barochkin E.V., Nenaezdnikov A.Yu., Belyakov A.N., Roslyakov A.N. Evolution of the interfacial surface of heat and mass transfer in the bubbling layer. Vestnik Ivanovskogo gosudarstvennogo energeticheskogo universiteta [Bulletin of Ivanovo State Power Engineering University], 2012, issue 4, pp. 1–5. (In Russ.)

26. Kryukov A.P., Yastrebov A.K. Heat and mass transfer through a vapor film taking into account the motion of the liquid-vapor interface and an increase in the temperature of the phase interface. Teplofizika vysokikh temperatur [High Temperature Thermal Physics], 2006, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 560–567. (In Russ.)

27. Loginov V.S., Ozerova I.P. Assessment of unsteady heat transfer in film condensation of steam on a vertical wall. Izvestiya Tomskogo politekhnicheskogo universiteta [Bulletin of Tomsk Polytechnic University], 2003, vol. 306, no. 6, pp. 67–69. (In Russ.)

28. Petushkov V.A., Melsitov A.N. Two-phase vapor-liquid flow in transient modes. Matematicheskoe modelirovanie [Mathematical Modeling], 2003, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 109–128. (In Russ.)

29. Evdokimov S.I., Datsiev M.S., Podkovyrov I.Yu. Development of a new scheme and method for flotation of ores of the Olimpiada deposit. Izv. vuzov. Tsvetnaya metallurgiya [News of Higher Educational Institutions. Non-Ferrous Metallurgy], 2014, no. 1, pp. 3–11. (In Russ.)

30. Evdokimov S.I., Gerasimenko T.E. Extraction of gold from ores by flotation in the conditions of heat and mass transfer taking place between the phases. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2017, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 10–18. (In Russ.)