ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2021-19-2-23-31

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance). Ball joints of a car suspension and steering are critical units, since the loss of their operability entails accidents with a threat to the safety of the user. In this regard, the ball joints of the car suspension and steering shall comply with a set of technical requirements provided by various regulatory documents. In Russia, the requirements for ball joints of a car are set forth by GOST R 52433 and Technical Regulations of the Customs Union TR CU 018/2011. It should be noted that these standards are the most general documents, where the requirements for strength, functionality and operational reliability are not fully reflected. Guided by these standards only, there is a high probability of missing important parameters in the design of parts or assemblies, which may lead to a full or partial loss of a normal operation of products. At the same time, OEM customers have additional requirements for the finished product. One of these requirements is starting force of plastic deformation during bending of an outer tie rod ball stud of a car. Methods Applied. This paper describes a proposed calculation of the above mentioned parameter by the simulation of static tests using the finite element method. Originality. The analysis of open sources did not reveal any calculation methods for determining starting force of plastic deformation of ball studs during bending. Practical Relevance. The developed finite element model makes it possible to determine starting force of plastic deformation of the ball stud with an acceptable degree of accuracy at the design stage to avoid a large number of physical experiments and increase the quality of the manufactured products.

Keywords

Outer tie rod, ball stud, starting force of plastic deformation in bending, finite element model, OEM customer.

For citation

Gun I.G., Vakhitov A.R., Stolyarov F.A., Smirnov A.V., Mikhailovskiy I.A. Calculation of Starting Force of Plastic Deformation, When Bending an Outer Tie Rod Ball Stud, by the Simulation of Static Tests. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2021, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 23–31. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2021-19-2-23-31

Igor G. Gun – DrSc (Eng.), professor, CEO, JSC NPO BelMag, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0002-6201-661X

Alexander R. Vakhitov – postgraduate student, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0001-7299-2035

Fedor A. Stolyarov – student, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0001-7785-8417

Aleksei V. Smirnov – PhD (Eng.), Head of the Supplier Development Department, JSC NPO BelMag, Magnitogorsk, Russia Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0003-4321-5012

Igor A. Mikhailovskiy – DrSc (Eng.), professor, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0001-7479-0349

1. Reimpell J. Shassi avtomobilya: Rulevoe upravlenie [Car chassis: Steering]. Translated from German by Palyanov V.N., ed. by Galbreikh A.A. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1987, 232 p. (In Russ.)

2. Mikhailovskiy I.A., Gun I.G., Salnikov V.V., Kutsependik V.I., Gun E.I., Vdovin D.S. Calculation of the strength indicators of ball joints of the vehicle chassis elements by simulating a static test process. Zhurnal avtomobilnykh inzhenerov [Journal of Automotive Engineers], 2014, no. 2(85), pp. 20–24. (In Russ.)

3. Afanasev B.A., Belousov B.N., Zheglov L.F. et al. Proektirovanie polnoprivodnykh kolesnykh mashin: Uchebnik dlya vuzov [Design of all-wheel drive vehicles: textbook for higher education institutions]. Moscow: Bauman Moscow State Technical University, 2008, 432 p. (In Russ.)

4. Feodosev V.I. Soprotivlenie materialov. Uchebnik dlya vyzov [Strength of materials: textbook for higher education institutions]. Moscow: Bauman Moscow State Technical University, 1999, 592 p. (In Russ.)

5. Gun E.I., Vakhitov A.R., Salnikov V.V., Gun I.G., Jon Ortueta, Agustin Anitua. Simulation of the axial joint pressing process. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2019, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 46–52. (In Russ.)

6. Markovets M.P. Opredelenie mekhanicheskikh svoystv metallov po tverdosti [Determination of the mechanical properties of metals by hardness]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1979, 191 p. (In Russ.)

7. Gun I.G., Vakhitov A.R., Stolyarov F.A., Mikhailovskiy I.A., Smirnov A.V. Calculation of parameters for a Coulomb friction model by the simulation of a rod end pressing process. Zagotovitelnye proizvodstva v mashinostroenii [Blank Production in the Machine Industry], 2021, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 90–94. (In Russ.)

8. Peng Y., Li J.Q., Zhan Y., Wang K.C.P., Yang G. Finite element method-based skid resistance simulation using in-situ 3D pavement surface texture and friction data. Materials, 12, 3821 (2019).

9. Mikhailovskiy I.A., Gun I.G., Gun E.I., Kasatkina E.G. Sharovye sharniry shassi: sovershenstvovanie konstruktsii, tekhnologii, metodov otsenki kachestva: monografiya [Ball joints of the chassis: improving designs, technologies, quality assessment methods: monograph]. Magnitogorsk: Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, 2014, 201 p. (In Russ.)

10. Gmurman V.E. Teoriya veroyatnostey i matematicheskaya statistika: ucheb. posobie dlya vuzov [Probability theory and mathematical statistics: study guide for higher education institutions], 2003, 579 p. (In Russ.)