ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2021-19-1-29-34

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance): Silumins are widely applied in various industries: shipbuilding and aircraft engineering, construction, weapons industry, and to manufacture household goods and sanitaryware products. Therefore, researchers actively study the process of remelting silumins to get the specified physical and technical properties. It is especially relevant to study external actions (ultrasonic waves, magnetic field, electric field, mechanical vibrations) on the physical properties of ingots. Objectives: To determine the parameters of external fields influencing the process of melt crystallization. Methods Applied: A theoretical assessment of the effect of a constant magnetic field with induction B of < 1 T on some physical and technical parameters of a crystallizing melt; the experimental study aimed at determining the influence of magnetic fields on kinetics and thermodynamics, and heat and mass transfer of the process of crystallizing molten silumins. Originality: Now, there are no physical and physical-mathematical models of the interaction between magnetic fields and internal parameters underlying kinetics and thermodynamics of crystallization, as well as heat and mass transfer of silumin melts. We showed the possibility of determining a functional relationship between the magnetic field characteristics and the internal parameters underlying kinetics of melt crystallization. Findings: It is determined and experimentally proved that a constant magnetic field does not significantly influence kinetics and thermodynamics of crystallization of molten paramagnetic silumin. Practical Relevance: The conducted research serves as a prerequisite for determining the basis for the interaction between magnetic fields and molten metal during its crystallization, and for further development of methods used to set a specified composition and microstructure of ingots.

Keywords

The Gibbs potential, phase equilibrium temperature, supercooling temperature, magnetic energy of magnetization, latent heat of the phase transition.

For citation

Arkulis M.B., Dubskii G.A., Dolgushin D.M., Misheneva N.I. Thermodynamics and Kinetics of Crystallization of Aluminum Alloys in a Constant Magnetic Field. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2021, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 29–34. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2021-19-1-29-34

Mikhail B. Arkulis – PhD (Pedagogy), Associate Professor, Head of the Physics Department, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0003-3006-9968

Gennady A. Dubskii – PhD (Physics and Mathematics), Associate Professor, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia.

Denis M. Dolgushin – PhD (Physics and Mathematics), Associate Professor, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0002-2907-2417

Nadezhda I. Misheneva – postgraduate student, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0001-5461-8058

1. Dolgushin D.M., Dubsky G.A., Nefedev A.A., Rive V.V., Dolgushina O.V., Kayper A. Effect of a pulsed magnetic field on paramagnetic melt during crystallization. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2018, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 57–66. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2018-16-3-57-66

2. Vdovin K.N., Dubsky G.A., Nefedev A.A., Derevyanko D.V. Surface copper plating of steel wire. Metally [Metals], 2016, no. 2, pp. 92–98. (In Russ.)

3. Dubsky G.A, Egorova L.G. Methodology for determining the linear crystal growth rate in crystallization of aluminum in a magnetic field. Matematicheskoe i programmnoe obespechenie sistem v promyshlennoi i sotsialnoi sferakh [Software of Systems in the Industrial and Social Fields], 2017, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 19–24. (In Russ.)

4. Lychev A.P., Cheremishin A.I. Influence of the magnetic field on the linear growth rate of crystals. Elektronnaya obrabotka materialov [Surface Engineering and Applied Electrochemistry], 1981, no. 2, pp. 55–57. (In Russ.)

5. Martynov O.V., Golikov S.S. Influence of an external magnetic field on the crystallization of a steel ingot. Razlivka stali v izlozhnitsy [Ingot casting], 1984, 370 p. (In Russ.)

6. Ivanovskii V.I., Chernikova L.A., edited by Kondorsky E.I. Fizika magnitnykh yavlenii: seminary [Physics of magnetic phenomena: seminars]. Moscow: MGU, 1981, 288 p. (In Russ.)

7. Rumer Yu.B., Ryvkin M. Sh. Termodinamika, statisticheskaya fizika i kinetika [Thermodynamics, statistical physics and kinetics]. Moscow: Nauka, 1977, 552 p. (In Russ.)

8. Wu Y., Zhang X., Xu X., Lin X., Liu L. A review on the effect of external fields on solidification, melting and heat transfer enhancement of phase change materials. Journal of Energy Storage. 2020, no. 31, p. 101567.

9. Popova M.V., Malyukh M.A., Lavrova N.B. The combined effect of alloying and crystallization conditions on manufacturability and thermal expansion of cast aluminum alloys. Aktualnye problemy v mashinostroenii [Actual Problems in Machine Building], 2017, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 112–118. (In Russ.)

10. Batyshev K.A., Batyshev A.I., Semenov K.G., Demyanov E.D., Yusipov R.F. Die crystallization of hypoeutectic and hypereutectic silumins. Zagotovitelnye proizvodstva v mashinostroenii [Blank production in mechanical engineering], 2018, vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 491–494. (In Russ.)

11. Ivanov Yu.F., Klopotov А.А., Eresko S.P., Petrikova E.A., Lopatin I.V. Multi-cycle surface alloying of silumin with titanium. Reshetnevskie chteniya. Materialy XXIII Mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii posvyashchennoi pamyati generalnogo konstruktora raketno-kosmicheskikh sistem akademika M.F. Reshetneva [Reshetnev readings. Proceedings of the 23rd International Scientific and Practical Conference dedicated to the memory of Academician M.F. Reshetnev, the General Designer of Rocket and Space Systems]. Edited by Yu.Yu. Loginov. 2019, pp. 526–528. (In Russ.)