ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2020-18-4-4-11

Abstract

The efficiency of mineral processing is determined by speed and accuracy of receiving process data. These factors make it possible to quickly respond to fluctuations in the elemental and mineral composition of raw materials and take timely corrective actions, namely the regulation of the processing. Consequently, the use of rapid analysis methods has a positive impact on technological indicators of enrichment of mineral and technology-related raw materials. This currently important objective is described in this paper on studying the possibility of using the continuous X-ray fluorescence analysis (XRF) of magnesite screenings, as well as its use for controlling the enrichment process of such raw materials. The aim of the research was to establish the degree of influence of the continuous X-ray fluorescence analysis on the efficiency of the processing. The paper outlines the elemental and mineral composition of magnesite screenings from the Satka deposit, and the experiments carried out to obtain magnesia by the bicarbonate method using a conventional analytical control method and the continuous X-ray fluorescence analysis. It was found that continuous monitoring improves the quality of the resulting product by 0.4% in terms of MgO content. The comparison of the errors of the chemical and continuous X-ray fluorescence analyses showed that there were no significant differences in accuracy between these methods. The difference in the analysis results of the mass fraction of MgO in the product was 0.4%. This research brings us to the conclusion that continuous on-line control of products in the flow is promising as it increases the efficiency of mineral processing by reducing the time period between receiving the analysis result and carrying out a corrective action on the enrichment process.

Keywords

Magnesite, analytical control, on-line analysis, non-destructive testing.

For citation

Grishin I.A., Masalimov A.V., Andreeva O.S. On-Line Analytical Control as a Tool for Managing a Magnesite En-richment Process. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2020, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 4–11. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2020-18-4-4-11

Igor A. Grishin – PhD (Eng.), Head of the Department of Geology, Mine Surveying and Mineral Processing, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0001-8010-7542

Alexey V. Masalimov – postgraduate student, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia.

Oxana S. Andreeva – student, Department of Geology, Mine Surveying and Mineral Processing, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia.

1. Yellepeddi R., Kohler A., Bonvin D. Control of the technological process and product quality in aluminum produc-tion using X-ray fluorescence / X-ray diffraction spectrometer ARL 9800S XRF-XRD. Zavodskaya laboratoriya. Diagnostika materialov [Industrial Laboratory. Materials Diagnostics], 1998, vol. 64, no. 12, pp. 60-64. (In Russ.)

2. Ymasaki Н. An off-line analysis ad on-line analysis. J. Soc. Instrum. and Contr. Eng. 27, 11, 961-967 (1988).

3. Clarke J.R.P. Sampling for process analysis. Anal. Proc. 24, 7, 210 (1987).

4. Rotter R. Continuous X-ray spectral analysis and its application to the automation of production processes. Za-vodskaya laboratoriya [Industrial Laboratory], 1964, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 436-438. (In Russ.)

5. Andreev A.E., Vlasov V.V. Assessment of the existing quality control system for titanium sponge. Zavodskaya laboratoriya [Industrial Laboratory], 1969, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 827-831. (In Russ.)

6. Usherov A.I., Alov N.V., Volkov A.I., Ishmetiev E.N., Polushkin M.E., Vdovin K.N., Usherova E.V., Shipilova N.A. The main source of errors in the X-ray fluorescence analysis of iron ore mixtures. Zavodskaya laboratoriya. Diagnostika materialov [Industrial Laboratory. Materials Diagnostics], 2009, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 25-26. (In Russ.)

7. Usherov A.I., Ishmetiev E.N., Lyapin A.G., Yamshchikov A.V., Tsygalov A.M. Continuous control of the chemical composition of sulfide copper-zinc ore. Zavodskaya laboratoriya. Diagnostika materialov [Industrial Laboratory. Materials Diagnostics], 2014, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 69-73. (In Russ.)

8. Karpov Yu.A., Savostin A.P. Metody probootbora i probopodgotovki [Methods of sampling and sample prepara-tion]. Moscow: BINOM, Knowledge Laboratory, 2003, 250 p. ISBN: 5-94774-081-8 (In Russ.)

9. Turchin M.Y., Masalimov A.V., Smirnov A.N., Grishin I.A. Highly reactive magnesia production: modeling and experiment. Refractories and Industrial Ceramics. 60, 3, 254-257 (2019).

10. Smirnov A.N., Masalimov A.V., Sysoev V.I., Zaynullin I.I. Determination of rational parameters of the bicarbonate method for producing magnesia. Aktualnye problemy sovremennoy nauki, tekhniki i obrazovaniya: tezisy 77-y mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konf. [Current problems of modern science, technology and education: proceedings of the 77th International Scientific and Technical Conference]. 2019, pp. 228-229. (In Russ.)