ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2020-18-1-23-30

Abstract

State of the issue. Although it is important to know such factor as a value of plastic resistance of steel, when designing and calculating metal forming processes, it may be challenging to find information relevant for its calculation. Two main reasons may be mentioned: many calculation methods and even greater steel grades. Besides, as a rule, calculation methods and published values of numerical coefficients used in calculations vary for cold and hot forming processes. The least studied range of temperatures is approximately from 300 to 600°C. This paper is devoted to studies on plastic resistance of steel grade 32G2U in view of its functional properties. This steel grade was chosen because it is widely used in manufacturing of seamless pipes for the oil and gas industry. The characteristic feature of the studies is a common methodology used for a temperature range from room temperature to temperatures close to melting temperature. Such broad temperature range contributes to the use of the obtained results, when calculating all possible pipe manufacturing operations, such as hot working, sizing and leveling of pipes in heat treatment divisions of pipe rolling shops, forming of longitudinal welded pipes. Research methodology. To determine values of coefficients included in the equation, the authors conducted tests applying Gleeble 3800. Using the generated strain resistance curves for a temperature range of 300 to 1200°C, the authors determined values of the coefficient characterizing steel softening. For the first time, it was found that steel is softened at temperatures close to 600°С and this phenomenon was explained in terms of physics. Findings. The authors determined the reasons for steel softening at temperature close to 600°C. The test results showed a recurrent dependence to calculate a value of steel resistance considering softening in a broad range of temperatures.

Keywords

Softening, microstructure, plastic deformation, plastic resistance of steel.

For citation

Al-Khuzai A.S.O., Vydrin A.V., Shirokov V.V. Studying Plastic Resistance of Steel Grade 32G2U in a Broad Range of Temperature Change. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2020, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 23–30. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2020-18-1-23-30

Ahmed S. O. Al-Khuzai – Postgraduate Student

South Ural State University (SUSU), Chelyabinsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Alexander V. Vydrin – DrSc (Eng.), Professor

South Ural State University, Deputy General Director for Research

OJSC Russian Research Institute of the Pipe Industry (RosNITI), Chelyabinsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Vyacheslav V. Shirokov – PhD (Eng.), Associate Professor

South Ural State University (SUSU), Chelyabinsk, Russia.

E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0003-1663-9362

1. Kolikov A.P., Romantsev B.A. Teoriya obrabotki metallov davleniem [Theory of metal forming]. Moscow: MISiS Publishing House, 2015, 451 p. (In Russ.)

2. Ostapenko A.L., Zabira L.A. Deformation resistance of steels during rolling and the methods of its calculation. Chernaya metallurgiya [Ferrous metallurgy], 2009, no. 3 (1311), pp. 54–79. (In Russ.)

3. Hensel A., Spittel T. Kraft- und Arbeitsbedarf bildsamer Formgebungsverfahren. Leipzig, 1978.

4. Zilberg Yu.V. Teoriya obrabotki metallov davleniem [Theory of metal forming]. Dnepropetrovsk: Porogi, 2009, 434 p. (In Russ.)

5. Tretyakov A.V., Zyuzin V.I. Mekhanicheskie svoystva metallov i splavov pri obrabotke davleniem [Mechanical properties of metals and alloys during metal forming]. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1973, 224 p. (In Russ.)

6. Kolmogorov V.L. Mekhanika obrabotki metallov davleniem [Mechanics of metal forming]. Yekaterinburg: Publishing House of Ural State Technical University – UPI, 2001, 836 p. (In Russ.)

7. Dukmasov V.G., Vydrin A.V. Matematicheskie modeli i protsessy prokatki profiley vysokogo kachestva [Mathe-matical models and processes of rolling of high-quality profiles]. Chelyabinsk: SUSU Publishing House, 2002, 215 p. (In Russ.)

8. Ishimov A.S., Baryshnikov M.P., Chukin M.V. On the issue of choosing the mathematical function of the equation of state to describe rheological properties of steel 20 in the process of hot plastic deformation. Vestnik Magnitogor-skogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2015, no. 1 (49), pp. 43–52. (In Russ.)

9. E.I. Poliak, J.J. Jonas. Initiation of dynamic recrystallization in constant strain rate hot deformation. ISIJ Interna-tional, vol. 43 (2003), no. 5, pp. 684–691.

10. Opěla P., Schindler I., Kawulok P., Vančura F., Kawulok R., Rusz S. New model predicting flow curves in wide range of thermomechanical conditions of 38MnVS6 steel. METAL 2016 - International Conference on Metallurgy and Materials, Conference Proceedings. 25.05-27.05.2016, Brno, Czech Republic, EU, pp. 458–463.

11. Kawulok R., Opěla P., Schindler I., Kawulok P. Model of hot deformation resistance of the iron aluminide of the type Fe-40AT.%Al. METAL 2013 - 22nd International Conference on Metallurgy and Materials, Conference Pro-ceedings 15. - 17.5.2013, Brno, Czech Republic, EU, pp. 444–449.

12. Opěla P., Schindler I., Kawulok P., Kawulok R., Rusz S., Petrek T., Vančura F. Hot flow stress models of the steel C45. Metalurgija -Sisak then Zagreb, vol. 54, no.3, pp. 469–472.

13. Al-Khuzai A.S.O., Vydrin A.V., Shirokov V.V. Analysis of a possible application of a universal phenomenological model of metal resistance to plastic deformation] Modelirovanie i razvitie protsessov obrabotki metallov davleni-yem [Modeling and development of metal forming processes], 2018, no. 4 (27), pp. 61–69. (In Russ.)