ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance): The paper describes the features and potential benefits of gold recovery from pyrite concentrates using microwave technologies. We made calculations and obtained the theoretical results using the example of the Gaiskoye deposit. Objective: The objective is to improve the efficiency of recovering gold from pyrite heaps, and to increase the mineral resource base of the Urals. Methods Used: The microwave technology was used to heat minerals of waste rock and crack the shell, and then gold particles may be recovered. Novelty: The elements of novelty include the improvement of calculation methods, showing an increase in the recoverability of gold and silver. Findings: The paper presents a comparison of methods and the use of microwave technologies in relation to the deposits in the Southern Urals, in particular, the Gaiskoye deposit. We made the calculations showing an increase in the efficiency of noble metal recovery using microwave technologies. Practical relevance: These calculations will contribute to a comprehensive processing of refractory gold-bearing ores, thereby improving the environmental situation in the Southern Urals.

Keywords

Gold, silver, pyrite, copper pyrite ores, microwave technologies, gold recovery, noble metals, pyrite concentrates, gold and silver mining.

Nataliya S. Ratnikova – Postgraduate Student

Orenburg State University, Orenburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Petr V. Pankratiev – DrSc (Geol.-Min.), Professor

Orenburg State University, Orenburg, Russia.

1. Sedelnikova G.V., Romanchuk A.I. Efficient technologies of gold recovery from ores and concentrates. Progressivnye tekhnologii kompleksnoy pererabotki mineralnogo syrya [Advanced technologies for the integrated processing of mineral raw materials]. Moscow: Ore and Metals, 2008, pp.120–133. (In Russ.)

2. Gilmutdinova R.A., Michurin S.V., Kovtunenko S.V., Elizarieva E.N. On the issue of the use and processing of wastes from mining and processing plants of the Southern Urals. Uspekhi sovremennogo estestvoznaniya [Advances in current natural sciences], 2017, no. 2, pp. 68–73. (In Russ.)

3. Bashlykova T.V. Certification of mineral raw materials by its properties. Nauchnye osnovy i praktika razvedki i pererabotki rud i tekhnogennogo syrya s izvlecheniem blagorodnykh metallov. Trudy mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konferentsii (12–15 noyabrya 2002 g.) [Scientific bases and practice of exploration and processing of ores and technology-related raw materials with the recovery of noble metals. Proceedings of the International Scientific and Technical Conference (November 12–15, 2002)]. Yekaterinburg: Ural State Academy of Mining and Geology, 2002, part 2, pp.3–6. (In Russ.)

4. Chanturiya V.A. et al. Opening of refractory gold-bearing ores under the influence of powerful electromagnetic pulses. Doklady RAN [Reports of the Russian Academy of Sciences], 1999, 366, no. 5, pp. 680–683. (In Russ.)

5. Normurotov R.I., Strizhko L.S., Kholikulov D.B. Studies on gold recovery from a gold-bearing magnetic fraction. Metallurgiya [Metallurgy], 2009, no. 4, pp. 35–38. (In Russ.)

6. Melekestseva I.Yu., Zaikov V.V. Mineralogiya rud Yuzhno-Yulukskogo kolchedannogo mestorozhdeniya, Yuzhnyi Ural. Mineralogiya Urala-2007 [Mineralogy of ores of the Yuzhno-Yuluksk pyrite deposit, the Southern Urals. Mineralogy of the Urals-2007]. Miass: Institute of Mineralogy, the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2007, pр. 77–79. (In Russ.)

7. Hutchison R.W. Volcanogenic sulfide deposits and their metallogenic significance. Econ. Geol., 1973, vol. 68, no. 8, pp. 1223–1246.

8. Hutchison R.W. Massive base metal deposits as guides to tectonic evolution. The continental crust and deposits. Geol. Assoc. Can. Spec. Pap., 1980, vol. 20, pp. 660–684.

9. Hutchison R.W. Precious metals in the massive metal sulfide deposits. Geologische Rundschau, 1990, 79/2, pp. 241–263.

10. Sawkins F.I. Massive sulfide deposits in geotectonics. Geol. Assoc. Can. Spec. Pap., 1976, no. 14, pp. 221–240.

11. Zaikov V.V., Tairov A.D., Zaikova E.V. et al. Blagorodnye metally v rudakh i drevnikh zolotykh izdeliyakh Yuzhnogo Urala [Noble metals in ores and ancient gold products in the Southern Urals]. Yekaterinburg: Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2012, 232 p. (In Russ.)

12. Maslennikov V.V. Litogenez i kolchedanoobrazovanie [Lithogenesis and pyrite formation]. Miass: Institute of Mineralogy, the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2006, 384 p. (In Russ.)

13. Maslennikova S.P., Maslennikov V.V. Sulfidnye truby paleozoyskikh chernykh kurilshchikov [Sulphide pipes of paleozoic black smokers]. Yekaterinburg-Miass: Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2007, 312 p. (In Russ.)

14. Holland N.G. The formation of an ancient gold-rich volcanogenic massive sulfide deposit: a study of the Balta-Tau deposit in the Southern Urals of Russia. PhD thesis. University of Southhampton, 2002, 250 p.

15. Kontar E.S. Geologo-promyshlennye tipy mestorozhdeniy medi, tsinka, svintsa na Urale (geologicheskie usloviya razmeshcheniya, istoriya formirovaniya, perspektivy) [Geological and industrial types of copper, zinc, and lead deposits in the Urals (geological conditions of their location, history of the formation, and prospects)]. Yekaterinburg: Ural State Mining University, 2013, 199 p. (In Russ.)

16. Leshchikov V.I. Provision of mineral resources to mining enterprises. Izv. vuzov. Gornyi zhurnal [News of the Higher Institutions. Mining Journal], 1993, vol. 6, pp. 10–19. (In Russ.)

17. Haque K.E. Microwave irradiation pretreatment of a refractory gold concentrate. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Gold Metallurgy. Winnipeg, Canada, 1987, p. 327.

18. Moskalev A.N. et al. Ustroystvo dlya SVCh obrabotki sypuchikh materialov [A device for the microwave processing of bulk materials]. Author’s certificate USSR no. 1592958, cl. H05B6/64, 1998.

19. Khvan A.B., Kolesnik V.G., Sattarov G.S., Latyshev V.E., Urusova E.V. Studies on a potential application of a microwave field for ore preparation processes, when producing gold. Gornyi vestnik Uzbekistana [Mining bulletin of Uzbekistan], 2002, no. 2 (9), pp. 56–60. (In Russ.)

20. Kolesnik V.G., Urusova E.V., Pavliy K.V., Kozlov V.V., Pankratiev P.V., Smirnova S.K. The influence of microwave processing on gold recovery from mineral raw materials. Tsvetnye metally [Non-ferrous metals], 2000, no. 8, pp.72–75. (In Russ.)