ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

Abstract

This research examined the effect of different cooling media applied during heat treatment on the physico-mechanical properties and performance (hardness and back side wear) of parts made of hard powder alloy. The study looked at clamp-on five-sided indexable inserts per GOST 19065-80 made of Т15К6 grade double hard alloy. Characterization was done with the surface layer on and after it had been removed. Heat treatment in chlorine-barium baths had almost no effect on the weight of the specimens. Quenching and tempering in nitre baths may lead to partial dissolution of hard alloys. For this reason, measurements were taken to determine the weight loss in the specimens. The specimens were subjected to single-step hardening and salt-bath isothermal quenching. The following variation ranges were applied in the case of single-step hardening: heating temperature – from 950 to 1,150оС; cooling rate – from 10оС/sec (air) to 110оС/sec (oil); tempering temperature – from 200 to 600оС; tempering cycles – from 1 to 3, the time of each cycle being 15 min. Analysis of the heat-treated inserts indicate that structural changes take place in them during heat treatment. When the inserts were heated to 1,300 and 1,450оС, the -phase was observed in them. The cutting properties of the inserts were determined by cutting on a 6Н11 vertical milling machine. A 100 mm face cutter was used, and the test inserts were clamped. The heat treatment induced changes in the properties of hard alloys established through the above experiments can be linked to either the changing phase composition of the alloy or the composition of the binding phase or some finer changes in the structure of the carbide phase responsible for wear resistance.

Keywords

Heat treatment, microhardness, heat resistance, strength, Т15К6 grade hard alloy.

Stanislav I. Bogodukhov – Dr.Sci. (Eng.), Professor

Department of Materials Science and Technology, Aerospace Institute, Orenburg State University,

Orenburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Elena S. Kozik – Cand.Sci. (Eng.), Associate Professor

Department of Materials Science and Technology, Aerospace Institute, Orenburg State University.

Orenburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Ekaterina V. Svidenko – Cand.Sci. (Eng.), Senior Lecturer

Department of Materials Science and Technology, Aerospace Institute, Orenburg State University.

1. Bogodukhov S.I., Garipov S.I., Kalmykov E.V., Sheynin B.M. Metody povysheniya ekspluatatsionnykh svoystv tverdosplavnogo rezhushchego instrumenta [Raising the performance of hard-alloy cutting tools]. Orenburg State University. Orenburg, 2004, 27 p. (In Russ.)

2. Tretiakov V.I., Klyachko L.I. Tverdye splavy, tugoplavkie metally, sverkhtverdye materialy [Hard alloys, refractory metals, ultra-hard materials]. Moscow: “Ore and Metals” Publishing House, 1999, 264 p. (In Russ.)

3. Gnyusov S.F. Tverdyi splav [Hard alloy]. Patent RF, No. 2113532. Applied: 08.07.1996. Published: 20.06.1998.

4. Oskolkova T.N. Sposob zakalki tverdogo splava [A method for quenching hard alloys]. Patent RF, No. 2294261. Applied: 15.06.2005. Published: 27.02.2007.

5. Oskolkova T.N., Shcheglova A.B. Sposob zakalki tverdogo splava na osnove karbida volframa [A method for quenching hard tungsten carbide alloys]. Patent RF, No. 2355513. Applied: 11.09.2007. Published: 20.05.2009.

6. Oskolkova T.N. Sposob zakalki tverdogo splava [A method for quenching hard alloys]. Patent RF, No. 2356693. Applied: 22.10.2007. Published: 27.05.2009.

7. Oskolkova T.N. Sposob zakalki tverdogo splava na osnove karbida volframa [A method for quenching hard tungsten carbide alloys]. Patent RF, No. 2392342. Applied: 04.05.2009. Published: 04.05.2009.

8. Kovalenko V.S. Obrabotka materialov impulsnym izlucheniem lazerov [Pulsed laser materials processing]. Kiev: Vysshaya shkola, 1985, 144 p. (In Russ.)

9. Klebanov Yu.D., Grigoriev S.N. Fizicheskie osnovy primeneniya kontsentrirovannykh potokov energii v tekhnologiyakh obrabotki materialov [The physical basis behind the application of concentrated energy streams in materials processing]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 2005, 220 p. (In Russ.)

10. Kovalenko V.S. Uprochnenie detaley luchom lazera [Laser beam hardening of parts]. Kiev: Tekhnika, 1981, 131 p. (In Russ.)

11. Oskolkova T.N., Kaskova N.K. The structure and properties of hard alloy changed by quenching. Vestnik gorno-metallurgicheskoy sektsii RAEN. Otdelenie metallurgii [Bulletin of the Mining and Metallurgical Section of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences. Department of Metallurgy], 2005, No. 14. (In Russ.)

12. Smolnikov E.A. Termicheskaya i khimiko-termicheskaya obrabotka instrumentov v solyanykh vannakh [Thermal and thermochemical processing of tools in salt baths]. 2nd revised edition. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1989, 312 p. (In Russ.)

13. Bernshteyn M.L., Rakhshtadt A.G. Metallovedenie i termicheskaya obrabotka stali [Science of metals and heat treatment of steel]. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1991, 451 p. (In Russ.)

14. Antsiferov V.N. Termokhimicheskaya obrabotka poroshkovykh staley [Thermochemical processing of powder steels]. Yekaterinburg: Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 1997, 421 p. (In Russ.)

15. Smirnova A.V., Kokorin G.A. Elektronnaya mikroskopiya v metallovedenii [Electron microscopy in metals science]. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1985, 192 p. (In Russ.)

16. Khaet G.L., Gakh V.M., Gromakov K.G. Sbornyy tverdosplavnyy instrument [Split-design carbide tools]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1989, 360 p. (In Russ.)

17. Loshak M.G. Prochnost i dolgovechnost [Strength and durability]. Kiev: Naukova dumka, 1984, 148 p. (In Russ.)

18. Chaporova I.N., Shchetilina E.A., Serebrova O.I. Metallovedenie i termicheskaya obrabotka metallov [Metals science and heat treatment of metals]. 1961, no. 7, pp. 44–46. (In Russ.)

19. Khrushchev M.M., Babichev M.A. Issledovanie iznashivaniya materialov [Understanding wear of materials]. Moscow: Publishing House of the USSR Academy of Sciences, 1960, 350 p. (In Russ.)

20. Kan R.U., Khaazen P.T. Fizicheskoe metallovedenie, fiziko-mekhanicheskie svoystva metallov i splavov [Physical metallurgy, physico-mechanical properties of metals and alloys]. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1987, 663 p. (In Russ.)

21. Li Zhang, Yuan-Jie Wang., Yu Xian-wang., Shu. Chen, Xiong Xiang-Jin. Crack propagation characteristic and toughness of functionally graded WC-CO cemented carbide. International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials. 26 (2008) 295–300.

22. L.J. De Oliveira, S.C. Cabral, M Filgueira. Study hot pressed Fe-diamond composites graphitization. International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials. 35 (2012) 228–234.

23. J. Hell, M. Chirtoc, C. Eisenmenger-Sittner, H. Hutter, N. Kornfeind, P. Kijamnajsuk, M. Kitzmantel, E. Neubauer, K Zellhofer. Characterisation of sputter deposited niobium and boron interlayer in the copper–diamond system. Surface and Coatings Technology. 208 (2012) 24–31.

24. W.Q. Qiu, Z.W. Liu, L.X. He, D.C. Zeng, Y.-W. Mai. Improved interfacial adhesion between diamond film and copper substrate using a Cu(Cr)–diamond composite interlayer. Materials Letters. 81 (2012) 155–157.

25. E.A. Levashov, V.V. Kurbatkina, A.A. Zaytsev. Improved mechanical and tribological properties of metal-matrix composites dispersion-strengthened by nanoparticles. Materials. 3 (2010) 97–109.

26. A.A. Zaitsev, D.A. Sidorenko, E.A. Levashov, V.V. Kurbatkina, V.A. Andreev, S.I. Rupasov, P.V. Sevastyanov. Diamond tolls in metal bonds dispersion-strengthened with nanosized particles for cutting highly reinforced concrete. Journal of Superhard Materials. 34 (2010) 423–431.