ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

Abstract

Relevance of the task. Quality of electrical energy is a vital prerequisite for operation of compact metallurgical plants consisting of melting complexes based on electric-arc furnaces and static var compensators that work together with rolling mills consisting of flat steel and section mills as well as continuous machining of the strip. Quality parameters of electrical energy, in turn, depend upon a number of characteristics that influence operation of essential consumers at such plants. One of the most significant quality characteristics is voltage fall in the external supply network. It negatively affects plants overall. For today, there is little research among domestic and foreign researchers that deal with reasons of voltage fall in regional power networks. Also, there is no research that would deal with measures for maintaining voltage at a desired level even during designing inner electrical supply. Existing methods of damping voltage fall are based on purchasing new equipment which reacts to changing voltage in the distribution network and restores normal operation mode by switching to a standby power supply. Such a method is unfavorable economically as equipment is expensive, and not every plant is ready to buy it. As such, the task to do is development of a new method of designing electrical power supply systems for workshops. Such method would be based on in-house reserves of reactive power accumulated in static compensators for dumping voltage falls. Goal of the job: analyzing voltage fall in regional electrical networks which are caused by external factors and working out recommendations on designing electrical power systems for small metallurgical plants which don't require significant investments for purchasing additional equipment. Methods used: the basic information for the research is datasets on voltage falls at existing metallurgical plant MMK Metalurji Ltd., Iskanderun, Turkey, and information on weather conditions within the researched power districts. Experimental data has been statically processed by Microsoft Office Excel. Originality: the research findings are new as there has been a research on how voltage falls depend on lightning discharges. Based on this research, a new method of designing in-shop electrical power systems has been developed which defends the electrical power systems from voltage fall in the outer power system. Findings: by the example of MMK Metalurji Ltd. we can see principles of occurring voltage falls depending on weather conditions in various seasons; also, measures of improvement of in-shop power systems have been developed with the aim of making them more reliable. Practical relevance. The results obtained are highly significant for existing small metallurgical plants consisting of electric furnace and rolling steelmaking. Also, the results can be used at designing of new metallurgical plants.

Keywords

Reliability of power supply, voltage dips, lightning discharges, frequency converter, hot rolling mill, electric drive of the rolling stand, electric arc furnace, static var compensator.

Aleksandr A. Nikolaev – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0001-5014-4852.

Vladimir S. Ivekeev – Postgraduate Student

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Igor A. Lozhkin – Postgraduate Student

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

1. GOST 32144-2013. Mezhgosudarstvennyj standart. Elektricheskaya ehnergiya. Sovmestimost' tekhnicheskih sredstv ehlektromagnitnaya. Normy kachestva ehlektricheskoj ehnergii v sistemah ehlektrosnabzheniya obshchego naznacheniya [State Standart 32144-2013. Russian National Standard. Electric energy. Compatibility of technical means is electromagnetic. Norms of quality of electric energy in general-purpose power supply systems]. Moscow, 2013. (In Russ.).

2. Nikolaev A.А., Denisevich A.S., Lozhkin I.A., Tukhvatullin M.M. Investigation of the influence of voltage dips in the power supply system of the plant MMK METALURJI on the work of the main electric drives of the hot rolling mill. Elektrotekhnicheskie sistemy i kompleksy [Electrotechnical systems and complexes]. 2015, no. 3(28), pp. 8-14. (In Russ.).

3. Kartashev I.I., Plakida A.V., Khromyshev N.K. Analysis of voltage dips in electrical networks 100/220 kV. Elektrichestvo [Electricity]. 2005, no. 4, pp. 2-8. (In Russ.).

4. Shpiganovich A.N., Murov I.S. Voltage dips in the electrical systems of enterprises. Nacional'naya Associaciya Uchenyh [National Association of Scientists]. 2015, no. 2-4(7), pp. 6-7. (In Russ.).

5. Mustafa Selim Sezgin, Önder Polat, Kahraman Yumak, Ömer Gul, Necip Erman Atilla. Simulation of voltage sag events in distribution networks and utility-side mitigation methods. 2017 10th International Conference on Electrical and Electronics Engineering (ELECO). IEEE Conferences. Year: 2017. Pages: 211-215.

6. Mei Fei, Zhang Chenyu, Sha Haoyuan, Zheng Jianyong. Classification and recognition of voltage sags based on KFCM – SVM. 2017 13th IEEE International Conference on Electronic Measurement & Instruments (ICEMI). IEEE Conferences Year: 2017. Pages: 432-437.

7. Ivanov VI, Artsishevsky Ya. L. The method of forecasting the statistics of supply voltage failures in the sectional distribution networks of power supply. Izvestiya vysshih uchebnyh zavedenij. EHlektromekhanika [Izvestiya Vysshikh Uchebnykh Zavedenii. Electromechanics]. 2004, no. 6, pp. 18-22. (In Russ.).

8. Kornilov G.P., Nikolaev A.A., Anufriev A.V., Lozhkin I.A., Ivekeev V.S., Slavgorod E.B. Features of electricity supply to the metallurgical plant "MMK-METALURJI". Elektrotekhnicheskie sistemy i kompleksy [Electrotechnical systems and complexes]. 2012, no. 20, pp. 235-238. (In Russ.).

9. Pupin V.M., Kuftin D.S., Safonov D.O. Analysis of voltage failures in the supply networks of enterprises and methods of protecting electrical equipment. Elektrooborudovanie: ehkspluataciya i remont [Electrical equipment: operation and repair]. 2011, no. 4, pp. 35-41. (In Russ.).

10. Nikolaev A.A., Kornilov G.P., Khramshin T.R., Ackay I., Gok Y. Application of static var compensator of ultra-high power electric arc furnace for voltage drops compensation in factory power supply system of metallurgical enterprises. Proceedings of the Electrical Power and Energy Conference EPEC-2014. Calgary, Canada, 12-14 November 2014, pp. 235-241.